Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI-

I am new to this site. I have a 1988 2.0SI 4WS. I am not into the mods like most of you but have just been trying to keep it running. Right now the radiator is having issues, not sure it is worth replacing. Is this an easy fix?

I was thinking about unloading it, maybe to charity but:

1. I love the car
2. Hard to get rid of your fist car
3. It seems I would be commiting a car that has quite a following to its grave.

What do you think should i just onload this or try to find a buyer?

Thanks

·
Rep me if you hate my ass
4,349 Posts
Doing a rad isn't difficult at all. Basically, after you drain the coolant, it's all just nuts and bolts and a couple of connectors. I wouldn't give up on 'er yet. If it was a Buick or something like that, though, I think the answer would be clear.

--J

·
Registered
171 Posts
the rads are hella easy on our cars, or if you don't feel like it i am sure a shop would be able to do it for a very decent price. Don't give up on her just yet. :)

·
Preludepower Member
2,656 Posts
Ebay a Koyo Radiator.
I did it myself in less than 2 hours...in a cramped garage nevertheless..

welcome to the board! :)

·
Registered
750 Posts
rads are super easy on this car. drain the rad, pull the hoses. take off the top rebar, pull the fan switch connector out, pull the fan off the rad. pull the rad out and do the opposite to put it back in. (i may have left out certain steps but they are super simple)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input. I had a feeling it was easy. I think it may be time to give up though even though it pains me. It seems I have something new wrong every month.

The radiator issue is: I was replaing the clutch line and during that the connector from the radiator to the rad hose broke off from age and brittleness. I tried a quick fix of epoxing a pipe in its place, this held for a few months.

I posted it on craigs list, hopefully a lude lover will take it and fix her up.

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
Make sure you get a rad. with metal end tanks. My friend and I had ours car for about the same amount of time his was a teg. Once I put my metal rad. I had no problems, he has replaced his plastic rad 3 times.

·
Kickass truck missed
6,583 Posts
nuthineasy88S said:
the rads are hella easy on our cars
they aint that easy. my dakota has two bolts you remove and two screws for the overflow tank. then the whole thing slides up and out. thats something thats easy. nothing on a honda is this easy.

the biggest problem with replacing our radiators is room.. or a lack of.

if your car has A/C is a little harder because the feon lines run around and over the rad. fans.

the steps to do it IMO -

unhook battery terminals.

unbolt hood lock from upper core support
undo overflow line.
remove upper core support
remove underside splash/debree guard
unhook upper and lower radiator hose.
unhook temp sensor connector plug (bottom left of rad.)
unhook both fan plugs (both twords bottom, follow fan wires to plugs)
if you have an AUTO tranny, you must also remove the trans lines from radiator.

now.. you can remove the radiator and fans in one go.
i found it easier to remove the fans seperate.

unbolt right fan first (may have this mixed up, you can tell one fan come off first),
unbolt A/C lines from fan
unbolt left fan
remove fans.

keep track of the two rubber feet for the radiator bottom. sometimes they come out with the rad. sometimes they stay in the bottom core seats, sometimes they fall through the bottom of the car tot he floor.

napa has modine (good name brand) radiators for our cars for 100/150.

hope this helps

·
Registered
171 Posts
CADster said:
they aint that easy. my dakota has two bolts you remove and two screws for the overflow tank. then the whole thing slides up and out. thats something thats easy. nothing on a honda is this easy.
Spark plugs on my single cam are insanely easy :) .

Yeah, they may not be the easiest, but they certanily aren't the hardest, or the hardest thing to do on your Lude, I can think of a ton of other things that are a whole lot harder to do. Either way I would just replace the rad instead of getting rid of the car.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am in philadelphia, pa. If you want the complete story of the car it is:

Slight body rust and scratches (probably needs a paint job)
The radiator issue which I have spoken about
No radio (new speakers)
Antenna can use replacement

Other than that it has ad a lot of repairs recently: new battery, alternator, clutch, supsension and struts redone.

Also now the radiator isn't leaking, not sure how it could have been poring out over the weekend and not leaking now. It was about 15degrees hotter this weekend?

Not looking to strip it though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts