Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after i installed the new transmission in my car, my dad insisted that we bring my car to my dads friends shop to have it checked out. because i really dont have much mechanical experience, i figured what the hell?
hes been my dads mechanic for 10 years.
i dont really like him though.
basically, my car sat there for like 4 days before he finally looked at it and he said "well its idling at 3000 rpms and i cant tune it while its idling like that.. i tried turning down the idle but it just died."
so he came to the conclusion that the intake gasket is blown.
he hasnt tried anything else to solve the problem.
im almost positive its not the FITV cuz i screwed the ring all the way down and still had the problem.

the more i think about it, the more it bugs me. im almost convinced that id just need to bleed the coolant.
my reasoning behind this is because i think back and i didnt have the surging idle until after i replaced the radiator and when i was under the car replacing the transmission i noticed that the lower radiator hose wasnt really on all the way.

i just want a second(or third or fourth.. ect) opinion on if i should just pick my car up and bleed the coolant before letting him replace an intake gasket.
he took an hour to diagnos that as the problem, but im kinda skeptical about his diagnosis.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I would say to get that hose on good and bleed the coolent. It wont cost anything and might save you some money. Look in the sticky and in moto's q and a thread i think there is a surgeing idil part in that. The other reason i say to bleed the coolent is because i think at least 3 other people on here has had that same problum this past couple weeks, and that fixed it
Hope you get it running soon

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, i read that thread. thats why i came the the conclusion that i did.
if he doesnt fix it by tomorrow, im just gonna pick it up.
cuz hes had my car for like a week and a half and still hasnt done shit to it.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
haha you should do it at his shop and show him up. then be like yea prelude power bitch lol But if it dont fix it you would look like a ass haha

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im just kinda worried that if i am wrong, he wont wanna help me any more.
cuz i dont have the money to pay him right now, but hes willing to wait until i do.
hes that kinda guy.

·
Registered
9,584 Posts
Ask the guy to show you why he thinks it's the IM gasket.

Better yet, buy a can of 'carb and throttle body cleaner'. Spray that all around the IM gasket areas. B20a5: the first gasket is between the c-head and IM runners, second is between the butterfly plate and runners, and the third gasket is between the plenum and butterfly plate. Also, the throttle body has a gasket.

Just don't spray this stuff into the intake. That will cause a mis-diagnosis of the problem. If spraying the IM gaskets causes the idle to fluctuate noticeably, you have a vacuum leak (likely bad gasket). Vacuum leak is not to be confused with vacuum line leak.

·
Registered
449 Posts
i would say you should put a piece of cardboard between the fiv and intake manifold just to be sure its not the fiv. and is its holding a steady 3k rpm it could be a vacum(sp) leak

·
Registered
435 Posts
It doesn't sound like it's surging at all. It sounds like it's a steady idle around 3k rpm. If that's the case, I doubt it's the coolant. I just had the surging idle yesterday from lack of coolant from replacing the waterpump and it was surging from 700-1500 tops.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ask the guy to show you why he thinks it's the IM gasket.

Better yet, buy a can of 'carb and throttle body cleaner'. Spray that all around the IM gasket areas. B20a5: the first gasket is between the c-head and IM runners, second is between the butterfly plate and runners, and the third gasket is between the plenum and butterfly plate. Also, the throttle body has a gasket.

Just don't spray this stuff into the intake. That will cause a mis-diagnosis of the problem. If spraying the IM gaskets causes the idle to fluctuate noticeably, you have a vacuum leak (likely bad gasket). Vacuum leak is not to be confused with vacuum line leak.
ok, im gonna go there today and see.

i would say you should put a piece of cardboard between the fiv and intake manifold just to be sure its not the fiv. and is its holding a steady 3k rpm it could be a vacum(sp) leak
i was gonna try that but i havent really had a chance.

It doesn't sound like it's surging at all. It sounds like it's a steady idle around 3k rpm. If that's the case, I doubt it's the coolant. I just had the surging idle yesterday from lack of coolant from replacing the waterpump and it was surging from 700-1500 tops.
no, its not steady. its surging. i just thought it was weird how he didnt mention that it was surging.. even though i already knew that. but it use to only be that bad(700-1500) but its gotten worse over time since i replaced the radiator.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so i went and asked him about it, told him what i thought was wrong with it and asked him to show me where the leak is in the gasket and he just gave me my key and said hes done with it..
so now he refuses to work on it just cuz i asked him a question.

so now i gotta fix it myself.

·
Registered
9,584 Posts
so i went and asked him about it, told him what i thought was wrong with it and asked him to show me where the leak is in the gasket and he just gave me my key and said hes done with it..
so now he refuses to work on it just cuz i asked him a question.

so now i gotta fix it myself.
That's terrible. Do you think he was being dishonest or maybe he just didn't really understand the car very well?

If you were over here in GA I'd offer a hand for free.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i dont know.
i guess he feels like i was being condescending.
but really all i did was ask TWO simple questions.
i have the right to know why he thinks something is wrong with my car..
apparently he didnt agree with me.

he said he could SEE the hole in the gasket without taking off the manifold or anything so i asked him if he could show me.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i just remembered something.
i switched out the ecu and tcu cuz a dude at aamco said i might have the wrong computer and i checked the numbers and it was the wrong one(i think) so i bought the right ones from a junkyard. but im pretty sure that no one changed the ecu and tcu before me..
if its not the right ecu, could that cause the problem?
i know the one i got was from a 91.
and im pretty sure the numbers i got from the one that was in there said it was an 89.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Your ecu should be a pk3 AT. And I don't think that your FIV is messed up one way to check it is to un-plug it (if it drops or dies you know it's working !). You my wanna bleed that valve just so you know it is the bolt by the hose that go's into your head, it has a hole in it make sure your car is warm ! If that don't fix it I would say to step on the gas and see if it drops ! Have you checked your throttle cable ? It could be stuck also !.....

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
idle problems

its surging.
not just a high idle.
check your throttle cable tension.. ? take your intake off and see if the butterfly is partially open at idle.

bleed coolant?

check vacuum hoses around IM?

possibly IM gasket or idle screw needs to be adjusted, most mechanics think the idle adjustment is the small screw on the bottom of the spring where the throttle cable connects to the throttle body. when in reality it is the largish flathead screw on top of the tb.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
grr.. i wish my car was here so i could figure this out!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts