Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay my tuner is suggesting that since my car is a daily driver, and I don't like the rough idle with the crower cams that I downgrade to the honda type-s cams. According to him and his shop team there, the type-s cams would actually give me more power in powerband of use being midrange-stock redline on the 2001 h22a4. Yes it is a stock bottom, and the crowers I have in right now seem to begin their big growth of power at 6krpm so that is where the tuner set vtec now. Which likesay, for my purposes is useless with a stock bottom.

I have skunk2 cam sprockets, and a custom valvetrain, and the crower cams inside have these #s: IN. 0.504, 270 EX. 0.465, 279

Do yall really think I would pick up more power and comfort with the type-s cams for a daily drive?

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
well they will be very streetable carms
the idle lobes are thae same as oem cams

type cams have been proven time and time again and again,,, crower cams are like a 50/50 shot at working it seems like

but also look into skunk2 stg 1 tunner cams,,, they are slightly bigger than type s cams i think and still retain stock idle lobes...... vtec is ussuall set around 5000rpm or sooner with type s cams or tunner stg one cams

·
Premium Member
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well they will be very streetable carms
the idle lobes are thae same as oem cams

type cams have been proven time and time again and again,,, crower cams are like a 50/50 shot at working it seems like

but also look into skunk2 stg 1 tunner cams,,, they are slightly bigger than type s cams i think and still retain stock idle lobes...... vtec is ussuall set around 5000rpm or sooner with type s cams or tunner stg one cams
im told the crowers I have, also have stock idle lobes, that's not what im mostly worried with.

What I am looking for is max potential with a stock bottom end, which realistically will not rev to 9 or 11k safely which is what the cam and valvetrain I have are capable of.

Thus, the question remains: are the type-s cams the ideal pick for a daily driver with a built head, intake, fuel system, obdI ectune and msd ignition? Keep in mind I want the redline to be stock since that is what the bottom end still will be.

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
The "S" cams will run like factory cams.

If I didn't have the "S" cams already I'd also probably try an aftermarket equivalent like the S2S1 which should be good for a bit more power.

What are the cams in there like? Stock idle lobe crowers idle like stock.

If I wanted maximum power out of an OEM rev range (0-7700) I'd probably get S2P1 but those will idle like crap.

·
Premium Member
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The "S" cams will run like factory cams.

If I didn't have the "S" cams already I'd also probably try an aftermarket equivalent like the S2S1 which should be good for a bit more power.

What are the cams in there like? Stock idle lobe crowers idle like stock.
The custom crowers are real smooth when I push on the throttle for sure, and now that I have vtec again even if at 6k+ damn it's nice. But, I'm thinking more into longevity now rather than having a high revving car which is what I wanted when I first started buying parts 2 years back now.

I have a set of new type-s cams right now, and then the stock cams, and new crower's which have been in the car for about 400 miles. So I am not interested in looking for another set of cams, it has to be one or the other. I want to be tuned with the new header on and be done with the car for the rest of school (6 years).

·
bangin' gears
15,675 Posts
You won't have More power but the graph will be "better". Max peak power does not make a fast car. Useble power does. And the bottom end can take higher than the factory redline fairly easy. Your engine will likely be more responsive to the throttle with the s cams.
Posted via Mobile

·
Premium Member
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You won't have More power but the graph will be "better". Max peak power does not make a fast car. Useble power does. And the bottom end can take higher than the factory redline fairly easy. Your engine will likely be more responsive to the throttle with the s cams.
Posted via Mobile
That's exactly what I was looking for.
I just wasn't comfortable having them set the redline at 9500 which all believe the block and new head can take to see higher numbers than I got last round without vtec.

Another problem the leakdown brought to my attention was that I am sitting at 190 in all cylinders except #3 which is at 170. The tuner says the only way to fix this would be to rebuild the block and I haven't even looked into this much with work as it lately. Nonetheless, my tuner also assures me the car is just fine with that since it's not built to race anyways. Any thoughts?

·
bangin' gears
15,675 Posts
Do a leakdown. Could be something other than rings. How did he come to that conclusion from just a compression test? 9500 is a bit exaggerated but 8300 is not asking much more from the block. Is Chris Delgado tuning your car?
Posted via Mobile

·
Premium Member
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do a leakdown. Could be something other than rings. How did he come to that conclusion from just a compression test? 9500 is a bit exaggerated but 8300 is not asking much more from the block. Is Chris Delgado tuning your car?
Posted via Mobile
i believe that's his last name, i just call him Chris

I believe it was a leakdown test they did while they had the engine pulled

·
bangin' gears
15,675 Posts
Next time you are there (at secret services) tell him Blake, 98vtec, says what up. Very nice guy and very knowledgeable. Anyway, that cylinder isn't overally bad so you should be fine. How much did that cylinder leak and where was it leaking?
Posted via Mobile

·
Premium Member
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Next time you are there (at secret services) tell him Blake, 98vtec, says what up. Very nice guy and very knowledgeable. Anyway, that cylinder isn't overally bad so you should be fine. How much did that cylinder leak and where was it leaking?
Posted via Mobile
That much, I don't know; they tuned the car while I was back in Virginia. Guy knows his stuff with the hydrogen supplements though, should be fine for getting everything working this next tune.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts