Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i recently got my 98 SH, and i know that Active Torque Transfer System only comes on the SH models, but i wanted to know if someone could tell me how it works and what it does exactly for the car, and things to look out for such as problems etc.

Thanks
-orbs

·
Registered
581 Posts
in short, as u take a corner, depending on ur speed/steering angle etc... the atts will apply more torque to the outside wheel to essentially accelerate u through the corner.

a good analogy ive heard is that its like the tracks on a tank depending on the direction of the turn, one spins faster than the other to make the turn alot quicker.

IMO this could probably be achieved alot easier and cheaper w/ an LSD, this is why u hear about lude owners getting a base and doing an LSD conversion.

all in all it is a good system though, u can see it workin by the way the steering unwinds when u give it the gas hard and u can kinda feel it workin in a high speed corner, pretty cool. ive heard it can be treturous in the wet though, so be careful.

hope this helps,

Ace

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
in short, as u take a corner, depending on ur speed/steering angle etc... the atts will apply more torque to the outside wheel to essentially accelerate u through the corner.

a good analogy ive heard is that its like the tracks on a tank depending on the direction of the turn, one spins faster than the other to make the turn alot quicker.

IMO this could probably be achieved alot easier and cheaper w/ an LSD, this is why u hear about lude owners getting a base and doing an LSD conversion.

all in all it is a good system though, u can see it workin by the way the steering unwinds when u give it the gas hard and u can kinda feel it workin in a high speed corner, pretty cool. ive heard it can be treturous in the wet though, so be careful.

hope this helps,

Ace
yea it does, thanks man

·
Registered
786 Posts
this would prolly be a PITA to put into a 4th gen due to all the oil cooler lines, extra wiring, and the amount of space the ATTS unit takes up.

a LSD would be much easier that trying to swap the ATTS into your car.

·
Banned
4,812 Posts
Well, this has been covered alot. But From reading my Motor Trend copy that the original owners gave me this is what they said about ATTS:

" ....former Indy car driver Jon Beekhuis ofter explains "stagger"-the oval-track technique of employing a taller right rear tire-by laying a paper cup on its side, with its bottom to to left, and rolling it across a table; he points out that it turn left on its own. Honda's ATTS video contains an identical depiction..."

Basically, Indy cars run bigger tires on the outside tires and smaller tires on the inside. This makes the car turn better and faster through the corner, ATTS mimics this and achieving the same results to a point.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts