Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched around and a lot of people seem to like the bfg g force sports, but they are what came on my car and now are very bald in the front. So, I probably dont want to get those again. I'm looking for a tire that will perform well in the 1/4 mile and help me run faster times. Stock, I ran a 15.2 with a slipping clutch and bald front tires with a 2.5 60 ft. I now have i/h/no cat/exhaust/clutch/lightened flywheeel and want to run low 14. So, my question is which tire do u think will get me there?

·
Idiotic Thread Locker!
11,000 Posts
R compounds? pricy.

Falken Azenis have great traction as well and will help.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
I like Kumho's SPT tire because they're not so expensive that you cry when you have to replace them.

They're just as good as the Parada Spec 2 and AVS ES100 from Yokohama, and are a little less harsh than the Falken Azenis. The Falkens seem to grip dry pavement just a tiny, tiny bit better. The Kumhos are the quietest summer tire I've ever used.

But most of all, they're cheaper than any of those tires.

·
2ludes 1s2000
10,675 Posts

·
Future S2000 Owner
4,419 Posts
Hprelude5R said:
Right now BF KDW's and Falken Azenis 615's are the rage.
The Azenis RT-615's are fucking sweet. I have them for my autocross setup. They are super sticky but don't set your heart on them lasting for 10,000 miles. Probably much less than that depending on how you drive. I blew through a set of Nitto NT450's with a 300 treadwear rating in about 11,000 miles. The Azenis have a 200 treadwear rating. Lower treadwear=stickier=less mileage.

·
2ludes 1s2000
10,675 Posts

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
if I didnt care about treadwear i'd sport rt-615's, I never got to try the ones I bought, needed the money so I sold em, but the guys inegra GRIPS now. I'd for sure get em if I hought it was worth it. Can't spend 1200 a year on tires

·
Type-Esss
4,714 Posts
Yeah, the 615s are great, but like everyone says they're expensive, wear out quick, and suck in the wet. BFG KD's are cheaper (and trade a little grip) and have the same complaints. BFG KDW's are great cuz they're even cheaper than the KD's, last longer, have better wet traction, and are very close behind in the dry. They have great grip launching, too, enough for me to get a 1.9 60' in my Stage 2 SRT-4 w/o slipping the clutch! This from a stock suspension and 6" rims w/ 205's. Anyway, I still recommend the g-Force Sports. Just cuz the fronts were bald when u bought the car doesn't make them bad tires. They're alot cheaper and last about the same length as KDW's. Dry traction is VERY close to the KDW's, trade-offs are worse grip in the wet (though still better than nearly any other tire w/ that much dry grip other than the KDW's), wear out a little faster than KDW's if you burnout and launch alot, and performance decreases a little more noticeably as they start to wear out. I like the g-Force sports b/c they're very similar to many of the Ecsta variants and have the same adv. of great tires for the price, but they tend to have slightly quicker steering response b/c of the g-Force family hard plastic sidewall liners. Personally, I'd recommend more g-Force Sports or g-Force KDWs if you can afford them. Rock on, BFG!! :D

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Treadwear doesn't mean too much unless you're going between tires that are made by the same manufacturer. There isn't an independent body that rates tires for treadwear; each company does on it's own.

So don't assume that a 400 treadwear tire will last twice as long as a 200 treadwear tire.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks alot for all the replys. the car isnt my daily driver so i dont really care about having no wet traction or them only lasting 10,000 miles or so. also i am not too worried about the price of the tires. it looks like i will go with the falken azenis 615's. from what everybody says they sound like the stickiest, but if the is an even stickier tire anyone knows of please let me know. thanks

·
2ludes 1s2000
10,675 Posts
CruZin89LuDe said:
if I didnt care about treadwear i'd sport rt-615's, I never got to try the ones I bought, needed the money so I sold em, but the guys inegra GRIPS now. I'd for sure get em if I hought it was worth it. Can't spend 1200 a year on tires
I've only put 15isk miles on the lude in 3.5 years. Treadwear doesn't matter much to me. :)

My only prob is that I demand a tire with good wet traction. Whatever I put on my car has to perform on the street.

I still may trying em out on the 5th gen seeing as I can fall back on the 3g, but the yoko's still have plenty of life on em in the meantime.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
The Azenis are considered about as good as you can do in terms of dry traction for a street tire.

Their tradeoffs are all mentioned already, but they won't be the *best* drag racing tire as they have fairly stiff sidewalls.

·
Future S2000 Owner
4,419 Posts
Blue01 said:
The Azenis are considered about as good as you can do in terms of dry traction for a street tire.

Their tradeoffs are all mentioned already, but they won't be the *best* drag racing tire as they have fairly stiff sidewalls.
To add to that, the Azenis were basically designed as an auto-x tire. Grassroots magazine actually rated the RT-615 as the #1 tire for street tire classes in autocross events. They are just barely street-legal.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
hmm after reading the replies about how the azenis have stiff sidewalls and are more for auto-xing, they may not be the best tire choice for me. i have no interest in auto-x, the only thing i will be doing is drag racing, with tires would better for strickly drag but with the capibility of being drivin on the streets once in a while?

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
Drag radials? There are street legal ones out there...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts