1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
You have three choices;

Physical - sanding, etc.

Chemical - paint remover

Abrasive - sand blasting

Abrasive is the fastest, most reliable, and easiest way to remove paint. Now, all you have to do is find a sand blaster! There are a few ways to make one yourself, but if you're lazy like me.. go find some chemical abrasives or get to sanding!!

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
go to advance or somewhere and get some paint remover in the can. Please be careful with that stuff though, because its quite powerful. very skin irritating

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
i used auto strip. i did sand blast or should i say glass beaded one which came out nicer and i think the paint stuck better. but after u use the paint strip just make sure u sand it or use a scuff pad to insure propper adhision...also all the paints melt and flake off headers...turns nice and pink i am gonna send mine out to be powder coated or maybe just chromed...

·
Registered
87 Posts
Send your header to me, and I'll strip, prep and then ceramic coat them. If its for a 3rd Gen Prelude and its one piece, then it'll run about $100 (you pay shipping both ways). You've got your choice of 2000F colors: Blue/Black/Grey, or you can go with 1200-1300F CermaKrome; a highly polished aluminum look.

With ceramic, you get zero rust or discoloration. You get increased exhaust gas velocity (equals more horsepower). You get cooler underhood temps for decreased accompaning component fatigue and less heat being sucked into your intake. Decreased underhood temps also mean less chance of sensors sending false or inaccurate codes.

Just a thought, man.

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
aircraft stripper :-D its potent as all holy hell. just spray the stuff on, let it sit a minute (or however long it says on the can) and wipe it off with a rag. removes ALL of the paint in one swipe 90% of the time lol. if not, do it a second time. but WEAR GLOVES! it will eat away at your skin if you let it sit for more then a few minutes on your skin :-D i love harsh chemicals :p

after stripping with a chemical stripper, be sure to wash it with soap and water to remove all chemicals and petroleum based traces. and for finish, i suggest sanding with a 100 grit sanding sponge, or a 200-300 grit sanding block. i prefer 3M sanding sponge, advance auto parts has em. it'll leave a real nice surface for whatever you plan on coating it with

·
Kickass truck missed
6,583 Posts
whats the best way to strip paint off my headers -

run them :lol:

every set of headers ive ever ran or seen had the paint burned off... unless they were new.

paint stripper will remove whats left
get the stuff at wal-mart

that CermaKrome would be cool. it looks great.

as far as the rims..... not a fan
they look like truck rims

·
Registered
87 Posts
my DC Sports are two piece if you count the header pipe as part of the header system.

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
i would have mine nickel plated, or ceramic coated, but thats too much money, im just gonna sandblast em and paint em, my dads got a sandblaster woo hoo

i freakin love those rims, they are mugen knockoffs, but i freakin love that style, 16" on my red 3g lude would e awesome! or maybe even 15"

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i think the rims are hott haha (duhh of course i posted them hahaha)
i think they look strong in design,..

and i wanted to apinted in heated whatever its called but they are only going to be on for a year if even that long,.. they are still in the box for now,.. and I am wrapping them in exhuast wrap to keep them from scraping on the floor etc.

and back to the rims,.. again,.. honda excels at having chariet looking cheap rims that bend easy,.. they make them so pretty but so fragile. Why don't we have stronger but lighter rims,.. I live close to NYC and need rims that can take on the abuse of really nasty unexpected potholes at high speeds,.. and still perform. but most car companys rather take whatever technolgies they advance on and patent it against after market people.

J

·
0 Posts
not DC, ive had my set for 6 yrs on my car and not one fleck of paint has fallen off due to use.

CADster said:
whats the best way to strip paint off my headers -

run them :lol:

every set of headers ive ever ran or seen had the paint burned off... unless they were new.

paint stripper will remove whats left
get the stuff at wal-mart

that CermaKrome would be cool. it looks great.

as far as the rims..... not a fan
they look like truck rims

1 - 14 of 14 Posts