Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so when you drop in some new pistons(type S), do you need to have the cylinders bored and $hit balanced or since they are a honda part can u put em right in? i have an 01 lude with 93K on it:shock:

·
Registered
522 Posts
why are you replacing pistons?

·
Registered
260 Posts
And I'm going to assume that he thinks pistons alone are worth it.

They're not. If you're going to spend the money for that, why not go ahead and get the whole thing built? All you're doing is raising the compression, what? 1 point? That's good for maybe 10-15 horsepower at the flywheel.

YIPPIE!

·
Registered
8,281 Posts
and no one has answered his question...

the cylinder walls will need to be honed so that the rings will seat correctly. i would also have a machine shop check the roundness of the cylinder walls incase they need to be bored.

·
Sleeper Needs Boost!
2,685 Posts
Boosted521 said:
and no one has answered his question...

the cylinder walls will need to be honed so that the rings will seat correctly. i would also have a machine shop check the roundness of the cylinder walls incase they need to be bored.
yeah what he said....:tongue:

·
bangin' gears
15,675 Posts
to answer the question.....its always nice to have a fresh hone. Of course just make sure he knows what he is doing. H blocks use a different type of material to do the honing.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

thanks for the response. when you differentiate between honigh and boring.. do you mean a hone is just a clean up and boring is taking off more material? wont i need oversized pieces in that case?

but my other question no one answered was wehter or not im gonna have to get the bottom end balanced?

this is my daily driver, so should i buy another engine and build it hardcore? i dont wanna be without my car, so whats the return time on replacing pstons?

and as far as cams, i was planning on doing them while the pistons are getting replaced. i just dont feel the need to blab every damn thing im about to do cuz my fingers would get tired. i was just asking a question and wanted an answer, not people telling me other things to do.

We definately need a Technical questions area.

·
Registered
522 Posts
if a weight difference is presence in the engine get it balanced so i bet there will be a difference a pretty big one too... 1-2 weeks is how long youll be missing your car if you actually get work done on it...also why dont you build all at once itll save money on install? there going to charge you to do everything everytime they take apart the engine...

·
Registered
8,281 Posts
bluedlude said:
thanks for the response. when you differentiate between honigh and boring.. do you mean a hone is just a clean up and boring is taking off more material? wont i need oversized pieces in that case?

but my other question no one answered was wehter or not im gonna have to get the bottom end balanced?

this is my daily driver, so should i buy another engine and build it hardcore? i dont wanna be without my car, so whats the return time on replacing pstons?
pretty much. a hone is when the cylinder walls are scuffed (best word i can find to use right now) so that the new piston rings will seat to the cylinder walls correctly. these "scuffs" are actually cross hatched lines that hold oil. boring the cylinder is when you remove material to enlarge the cylinders. and yes, usually (depending on how much material you remove) you will need an oversized piston. i believe type s pistons are made in a larger than stock size.. can't remember for sure though.

as for balancing.. you shouldn't have to. you're using the stock rods, crank, etc. so everything should be fine.

downtime depends on your mechanic. it can be done in a day.. but i'm going to say most shops will take about a week.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah, im an ass and i figure any respectable mechanic would do it in about 4 days. but i thinks thats wishful. i was thinking about putting some forged, scat rods in too. and they are supposedly balanced within like +/- 1 gram? i know thats not too close.. but.

and they do sell standard bore type s pistons. as well as oversized.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts