Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Back 2 Hackin
4,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get a bunch of questions on how to pull your motor and whats good tips and this and that, etc...

So Ive decided to create a pulling your motor tips thread. Pulling your motor can be very confusing if you dont pay attention to what you do with what. Ive done a DIY on pulling motors. Id like to add some more things for the benefit of this site.

For one here are some simple suggestions.

1. Get little zip lock bags and put all your bolts from each seperate artical in the bag and label them.
Examples, transmission bolts in the transmission bolts bag. Battery bolts and terminals in battery bag, radiator stuff in radiator bag, etc.

2. Remove the radiator, its simple and easy to break if you dont.

3. Take front mount and mounting bracket off when pulling the motor.

4. Take off driver side mount as well.

5. Label all your motor mount bolts indiviually.

6. Hook your chains up to the transmission and the Power Steering mount. Make sure when you pull its level.

7. Remove center beam

8. Label your wireharness. A number diagram for each wire is very important, its pretty hard to confuse what each plug is for, but it does happen and can cause great stress thinking about it.

When doing the intial pull out, I find it easier to remove the front mount and mounting bracket, remove the driver side mount so that the motor will lean down on an angle, then remove the tranny mount as well, twist the motor so that it will clear the actual mount bracket on the car, and come up.

10. Once the motor is clear of the engine bay I suggest deleting stuff you dont really need. I.E. power steering, ac, heater hose, evap, useless wires, and solenoids you have lying around.

11. Keep your area clean, if you dont have your stuff labeled and in order, you will spend more time scratching your head trying to figure out what goes where.

12. Removing car panels can help, easiest thing I can say is to remove the hood and front bumper. You can remove the fenders, I suggest doing that if you have good paint, cause shit does happen and that little scratch wont go away with time.

13. When reinstalling things, make sure you use RED locktite, on your motor mount bolts, center beam bolts, and suspension parts. Its not needed, but hey, its your car, and being a little more cautious will never hurt.

Dont forget that you are also removing bolts from cars that are older than some of you, I know my 92 Si is about ready to be considered a Historic car in 2012. So needless to continue, these bolts are going to be good and rusted and you are going to have issues with bolts breaking, stripping, and cross threading. For that I offer this.

A. On bolts that seem to be stripping the head on the bolt, taking a pair of vice grips and clamping on this bolt tight, then tapping a hammer and giving it a quick tap to break the rust layer works wonders.

B. Rust Remover, any choice you perfer, spray the night before you work, it will help.

C. You will pull some bolts out and you will notice some of them happen to be white on the threads. I can only say that these bolts are very dry and the heat, helps to destory them quicker turning them back into rust. I suggest dipping all your bolts into some oil, this will help out in the future with breaking bolts.

D. Breaking bolt heads off. Congrats, I hope you know how to curse well, this will really set you back, esp if its an important bolt. Having a set of titanum drill bits and a bolt extracter kit will save you in the long run. But some bolts happen to be harder than other, and you are going to need a machine shop.

15. Replacing parts on your new motor. H22-H23 Conversion, just about everything on the engines is transferable. If you have a JDM motor and USDM motor, you can combine the 2 to make atleast 1 functional motor for your car.

16. Replacing more parts. Here is more parts you can replace, and most are optional

17. Here is a list of tools you should have when doing a swap.
- Set of Wrenchs MM only
- Socket Set
- Socket Extensions
- 1/2 and 1/4 inch socket wrenchs
- jacks
- engine hoist
- engine stand
- grease and wax remover
- plyers
- solider and solider gun
- breaker bar
- painters tape
- zip lock bags
- tourque wrench or tourque bar(I perfer the latter)
- crank pulley tool

Now, Im sure that there are much more things you can have or do. After all everyone has their own ways of doing things. All you have to do is find a way that you are comfortable with.

Remember nothing will ever beat hands on experinece, and reading online can only offer insite into what you want to do. Just remember, do not be afraid to break it. If its breaks, than it can be fixed. You are going to break things, everything that can happen, will at some point and time, its just a question of when.

Dont reley on others to solve your issues for you, when you start working on your own cars, you are then the only one who is responseable for your car. There is no one else to blame except user error. But do not fear, its not the end of the world. Just make sure that you pay attention when you work, and take extra time to do things right the first time. I cant begin to tell you my experiences with rushing through things to just say that I got it done. Bottom line is that its your car, do it right, no one really cares about your car, so dont do things to impress anyone but your self. Taking an extra week to work on something so that it works great for years down the road, vs rushing something so it works for a month or two and breaks again.

Use your head, reasearch these things through and instead of creating a "Help Me thread" search, use google to search as well, its not like your the first one to have a swap not start up on the first try, there is plenty of info to soak up out there.

Jim

·
Registered
15 Posts
:thumbs-up: Nice write up. Very informative

·
Registered
420 Posts
I'm going to be pulling my (or any motor) for the very first time in a few months by myself.

I can't wait to learn some shit.

Thanks for the tips! bookmarked this page for future reference.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts