Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i should finally be pulling my motor out of the project car tomorrow... getting a 2 ton hoist from Harbor Frieght for 149 orig 213... and getting 2 ton cause 1 tons only like 20 buck less(129 orig 164) so figured might as well go big lol. and stand for 55 there. got sale going on lucky me...

But to the point... Was wondering... this my first motor pull and friend whos helping me has done stuff but all on older muscle cars... so just was wondering if anything sepcific could tell me that'd help or make easier or if even there was some sort of write up... lol. but my roommate whos gonna be working has pulled a few honda motors and was telling me to get sockets for mounts and axles so was wondering sizes and anyother things i may need...

thanks

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
just pulling out a h22 to rebuild... nothings going back in anytime soon... but when it does happen the h22 is going back in rebuilt N/A Im doing what prudz was working on til he got a diff car... basicly a full restore... or as much as i can restore...

oh and if matters... im at point where everything in front is gone and disconnected... wire harness for what i can see up top is disconnected to and i can see small hoses and prob other things in back and prob under intake manifold that need to disconnect

·
Registered
222 Posts
i wouldn't be too worried about a warranty...i'd be a lot more worried about the hoist breaking and smashing the shit out of my engine and/or car

·
Registered
363 Posts
i seriously dropped my engine out the bottom and reinstalled it from the bottom. and its not cause im cheap and had no lift. we had a lift. this was easier. let me know if your interested and ill tell you how.

·
Registered
838 Posts
That's not cheap at all.. It's actually a very common method of pulling motors, especially for Hondas.
I would have liked to have just dropped my motor out of the bottom when I did my swap, but I had no way of getting the chassis over top of it, ha!

·
Registered
119 Posts
i seriously dropped my engine out the bottom and reinstalled it from the bottom. and its not cause im cheap and had no lift. we had a lift. this was easier. let me know if your interested and ill tell you how.
Would you mind sharing how you did it? What did you use to lift and drop the engine?

·
Back 2 Hackin
4,375 Posts
Ive heard about this, your supposed to remove the cross member and lower the motor onto something you can roll the motor out from under neathe the the car with. Sounds like a good Idea, but where are you going to get something to move your 800 pound motor without breaking it.

Everytime I lift an engine out, I always think how much of an epic faliure it would be if the chain snapped and the engine hit the ground. Thats why I made my own engine lift kit. Its little hooks that gaurentee the the chains wont slip off.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Dropping the motor is so much easier than lifting it. Esp with the H22 b/c you have tilt the trans so far down its crazy. Just like i went through a couple weeks ago. And i have the 2 ton hoist from Harbor, no issues yet...

·
Back 2 Hackin
4,375 Posts
That tilt wont happen if you have everything measured and secured properly. All my pulls come from the top, and they come out on an even level.

·
Registered
15 Posts
You have to tilt some. The trans mount bracket alone requires even a little tilt. I didnt remove the crank pulley which would give up some room.

·
Back 2 Hackin
4,375 Posts
Not really, depends on your method really. I like to remove the center beam, push the motor down a few inches, remove the trans mount, rotate the engine 20 degrees counter clockwise and pull up.

There is other stuff I remove to do that as well, its not as simple as it seems, but I do however encourage others to use a cement floor when pulling motors, a dirt and gravel floor, is something I wouldnt even bother with, not to sanitary working condtions.

·
Registered
15 Posts
oh ok, i got you. Sounds like a good idea. Do you have to remove the IM? Im sure its tight with it on or not possible at all. Id love to work on cement, unfortunatley i work with what i got.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts