Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey i was lookin online and I was told that if i was to get new pulleys i can add hp, just wonderin what pulleys i should go with and if they really will add hp thanks I have a 92 h23a

·
Registered
949 Posts
I heard that they don't give out as much power as the stock pulleys.The AEM pullleys are bigger than the stock and for that reason they take longer to turn.Something like having bigger rims.IThis is what i heard and that stock was better.If someone could confirn this it would clear alot of things up for me.

·
Registered
149 Posts
they are called underdrive pulleys because they underdrive (spin slower) the alternator and power steering pump. they are then being turned less times, and less of the power you engine makes goes into powering them.

just like on a bicycle... if you put the chain on the big gear (on your bike), it goes slower and is easier to turn.

you see, your engine makes power. some of that power is used to power your accessories, which is why some ppl remove their ac and power steering. the less power these accessories take, the more power you get to the wheels.

sooo............sigh.......... it doesn't cause your engine to make any more power, but it does make more power available to your wheels:emthup:

i installed my intake, headers, and pulleys in the same night, and made alot more power... i think the pulleys had somethin to do with it, but i can't be sure.

hope i helped out :p

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
I had the AEMs in my 95. Not doing that again. Causes the damn battery to basically not charge.

If I sat with my radio on for like a half hour, the battery would be dead. And no, it wasn't the battery needing replacement. Granted, that was a subwoofer and amplified speakers, so it's a little unfair.

I'm just sticking the OEM ones for my 99.

·
Registered
149 Posts
aem's are bigger and lighter. rudelude is right about the stereo.. i was parking with my gf at the docks in girdletree, md (15 mins from all civilization), and you guessed it, my battery went dead. lmao! fortunatley i have friends that are as crazy as i am that drove 20 mins to give me a jump :)

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Just keep your stock ones in. It's just not worth the hassle of dealing with .5 hp or something stupid like that.

Get nitrous.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
oh yea....that'll be reeeal good for a daily driver NOT.....a friend of mine got some underdrive pulley for his teg engine from unorthadox and they are smaller than stock

·
formerly 2.3vtec gal
212 Posts
Scott95VTEC said:
They aren't good for stereo systems, since they don't charge the alternator as well. But they do reduce the losses from spinning the power steering and alternator pulleys. So you do gain hp, but lose a few volts in your electrical system.
Agreed... I removed both of my pulleys due to this issue. At the time I had a lot of other electrical things draining my power also..small system.... and it eventually led to the hassle of going through an alternator and brand new battery.

My opinion- the gains aren't really worth it. But if you insist on having pulleys... be sure not to have a ton of electrical things.... gauges, system, etc etc

·
Registered
54 Posts
it just all depends on what your in it for. if you want a system and all that, screw the pulleys - not worth it because your bogging down your car with weight anyways, so speed isnt your concern (especially for the small boost they give you). if your into the motor and thats it, then you know that every little bit counts, all the way down to EGR block plates and throttle body coolant bypass' if necessary (anything to free up just that little bit more power - so we get the pulleys. i know some guys that even disconected/removed their balance shafts (im still not sold on that one though) its just all about personal prefference. decide what you want to go for and then make your decision.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.