Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
all i have found is how to change the seal to stop the leaking. well my ps pump leaks a little and squeals quite loud in the morning, i now have the pump from my parts car installed and its alot louder and it leaks also:eek:mg:!!
from the diagrams i find online i cant seem to find a bearing inside the pump so my question is: Is there a bearing that can be replaced to stop the squeal? And will changing the seal make the squeal stop?(doubt it but i dont know)

p.s.- i have the tension on the belt set not to loose but not too tight so i doubt thats it also.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I don't know too much about PS pumps but if the bearings are gone then there is not much you can do. If you replaced the seal and it still leaks it sounds as if your bearings are past the point of no return. The shaft may have a wooble causing the seal to leak.

It may not be what you want to hear but sounds like you may want to replace the pump if you want to keep PS.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea from what i have seen from the diagrams i have found is that the two shafts dont have bearings they just sit in the housing and must use the power steering fluid to lubricate the shafts while they spin so there isnt any need for bearings i guess. both pumps i got squeal the one that i took off doesnt do it as much but it does throw power steering fluid on the underside of the hood. looks like im going to be sending ebay some more money lol.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
if your belts are old they will squeal regardless of how tight or loose they are...I would try replacing the belt before the pump. If it's the belt then it's a cheap fix and if it still persists then you know you have a new belt with your new pump.
great point...but the belts are new lol. they got changed when i reassembled the engine after the extremely long tranny sway that i did. thanks though!!

·
Memento Mori
7,515 Posts
If the belt is new, you need to tighten it more. When belts squeak they are either too old or not tight enough. (Assuming of course it's not something obvious like oil all over your pulleys, etc.)

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
I had the leaky PS pump, replaced the seal, and never has leaked sense - but after I put the pump back on my belt squealed like a banshee too and no matter how or which way I adjusted it, it would be fine for a day then start back again. I finally took it to Honda, and with their magic hands, made it stop. I guess I'm just clueless with belts.

·
Registered
779 Posts
all i have found is how to change the seal to stop the leaking. well my ps pump leaks a little and squeals quite loud in the morning, i now have the pump from my parts car installed and its alot louder and it leaks also:eek:mg:!!
from the diagrams i find online i cant seem to find a bearing inside the pump so my question is: Is there a bearing that can be replaced to stop the squeal? And will changing the seal make the squeal stop?(doubt it but i dont know)

p.s.- i have the tension on the belt set not to loose but not too tight so i doubt thats it also.

i have somewhat the same problem only i heared clicking one day i put fluid but it still does it and now everytime i turn i hear my cv clicking so i dont know if i have to change my ps pump and cv?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If the belt is new, you need to tighten it more. When belts squeak they are either too old or not tight enough. (Assuming of course it's not something obvious like oil all over your pulleys, etc.)
yea i got oil on my pulley...it squeals also. i was hoping it was a bearing that way i could have changed it when changing the seal, but i found out that the pump doesnt have bearings so i think the shafts are worn out causing the squeal.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i have somewhat the same problem only i heared clicking one day i put fluid but it still does it and now everytime i turn i hear my cv clicking so i dont know if i have to change my ps pump and cv?
sounds to me like it was the cv joint clicking all along and the pump had nothing to do with it. was the pump low on fluid?..why did u add more?

and changing the pump is not necessary unless the pulley has some wobble back and forth, if its leaking the seal can be replaced.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts