Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brian ( prelude1897 ) did my H. I. D. projector retrofit for me about a month or two ago... I am just now getting around to wiring them up. The headlamps are installed, and everything is assembled... but none of the wiring is done. The projectors are E46s.

I am completely lost on how to go about wiring these things up.. there are different colored wires everywhere, and the two ballasts do not match. One has a 9006 light bulb socket on the end, while the other doesn't. Both have a little peanut bulb socket on them, but the socket doesn't fit my headlamp housing.

If anyone has any diagrams or write-ups I'd greatly appreciate it a lot.
 

·
bangin' gears
Joined
·
15,675 Posts
i'm using the 02-03 TL ballasts. It has a black box coming off it with a black and red wire i believe. I just cut the connector off the stock harness and soldered positive to positive and negative to negative.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
ludefanatic97 said:
Can you take some pics?
I believe the Bosch ballast your talking about has 3 diff colors, black/green/pinkish, I dont recall havnt touch them in a while.

btw, you want 2 of the same ballast mang, mixing ballasts isnt a great idea, they start up at diff rates.

Brian<----bad job mang
The ballasts are the same... it's just that one of them has a 9006 light bulb connector on it, while the other look slike it has that connector cut off of it.

2.2L said:
i'm using the 02-03 TL ballasts. It has a black box coming off it with a black and red wire i believe. I just cut the connector off the stock harness and soldered positive to positive and negative to negative.
Couple of questions:

So the stock peanut bulb and the stock high-beam headlight bulb just use the factory connections?

So only the low-beam headlight bulb ( the H. I. D.-retrofitted one ) needs splicing?

Mine is like that too, except that mine aren't from a TL ( the ballasts have the Nissan logo on them ). There is a large-gauge red wire and a large-gauge black wire, but there is also some sort of smaller-gauge grey wire, and then another two wires that are connected to a peanut bulb socket. I'm confused. :dontgetit:
 

·
bangin' gears
Joined
·
15,675 Posts
irolllow said:
The ballasts are the same... it's just that one of them has a 9006 light bulb connector on it, while the other look slike it has that connector cut off of it.



Couple of questions:

So the stock peanut bulb and the stock high-beam headlight bulb just use the factory connections?

So only the low-beam headlight bulb ( the H. I. D.-retrofitted one ) needs splicing?

Mine is like that too, except that mine aren't from a TL ( the ballasts have the Nissan logo on them ). There is a large-gauge red wire and a large-gauge black wire, but there is also some sort of smaller-gauge grey wire, and then another two wires that are connected to a peanut bulb socket. I'm confused. :dontgetit:

gimme a min and ill go snap a pic, im cooking dinner right now :tongue:
 

·
RHD Pimpin
Joined
·
10,152 Posts
ludefanatic97 said:
Can you take some pics?
I believe the Bosch ballast your talking about has 3 diff colors, black/green/pinkish, I dont recall havnt touch them in a while.

btw, you want 2 of the same ballast mang, mixing ballasts isnt a great idea, they start up at diff rates.

Brian<----bad job mang
what are you talking about. I always give people 2 of the same ballast :camper:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
prelude1897 said:
what are you talking about. I always give people 2 of the same ballast :camper:
Correct... he gave me two of the same ballasts, it's just that on one of them some things are cut-off that aren't on the other. Have some faith in Brian mang.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,189 Posts
^i don't do the myspace thing.

i procrastinate enough as it is. (like right now, i'm needing to do the 5pg econ paper due thursday haha..oh well)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
2.2L said:
did brian clear it up for you or do you still need pics?



we'll save that for when you come to pcola ;)
I think I've got it, but the pics would still be useful...

I only have one question left:

On one of the ballasts, the wires that I presume to be the power and ground are attached to a 9006 headlight bulb connector. Is this normal? Should I just chop off the connector and splice them, or should the power and ground wires not be connected to a bulb on the ballast?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
2.2L said:
i'm not running any connectors. I soldered the wires on both lights. uno momento, i'll get something
No, what I meant was is it normal for the ballast to have the power and ground wires connected to the bulb whenever it came that way from the factory for whatever car the ballast came out of?
 
1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Top