Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Abscissa & Ordinate
5,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

55 mm. Ain't putting in nothing bigger.

With a nice and straight cut off.

Gonna make some pretty cat eyes at night.

Sitting flush with the reflector.

Ahh, a projector from a 97 Subaru Legacy fog light!

Whassat over there?

What started all this:

** Shimee's foglight retrofit write-up**

First you want to measure about 5mm around the circumference of the rear opening.

Then make notches (if applicable) so the little ridges fit snug. These notches are about 5mm deep aswell.

Here's another shot of them.

You then want to use a sanding drum bit on your dremel and remove the plastic that the bulb mounted to. You also want to sorta angle the the bottom portion so it sort of "arcs" into the reflector housing. If you don't the projector lens will hit it and won't go in as far.

After that flip the foglight over. The sanding will thin the plastic extremely and possibly break through to the other side. You want to put some JB Kwik on this area to strengthen it. You will know when you see it.

Then test fit your projectors.

Make sure the collar for the lens lines up with the reflector inside.

Adjust rotational alignment by plasing the assembly on a flat surface. The bottom face of the housing should be flat, as well as the seam joining the two pieces of the projector together. In short the projector and fog housing bottom have to be parallel (at the same angle).

See all that crap inside? Clean it out now. Get a gallon of DISTILLED water and some simple green or windex. Spray the cleaner inside and slosh it around, then add some water. Dump it out. Repeat until everything is gone. Additionally you could use compressed air before the first step.

* Regular water will leave minerals behind, aka "water spots."

*** NOT PICTURED ***

Before proceeding to the next step you want to remove the lens from the projector and and apply a thin amount of RTV Clear between where the lens and projector body. You want to completely remove any gaps where water can pass through from the inner housing, with this step.

*** NOT PICTURED ***

Now stuff the projector in and tighten down a hose clamp around the neck of the housing. Fill in the gap between housing and fog with RTV Clear Silicone or water your flavor may be.

Here's another shot.

And another.

Use the same RTV Silicone to seal the gap between the HOUSING lens and housing body. These things leak, as you've probably noticed while washing them out with DISTILLED water.

Here's the completed product.

And some side profile shots.

As presented by the lovely hand of our model, Tanesha.

This is how they look completed, as presented by our lovely model Ruby.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts

Should be done in a couple days. :music:
EFF YOU.

i was going to be the first one to do this.

EFFFFFF.

man if i wasn't so busy w/ this freaking lawsuit i would have had mine done by now. what projectors did you use?

·
Abscissa & Ordinate
5,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what projectors are you using, are they hid or halogen?
No headlight projector I found was small enough to be used in the JDM lights. The only option was to find fog light projectors. Only headlight projectors come in halogen or HID, because no OEM fog lights have HIDs installed since halogens produce lower K's and are preferred over HIDs in fog for some reason. Either way, there isn't much difference between HID and halogen projectors from what I've seen, and people frequently put HIDs in halogen projectors without any difference in light output.

man if i wasn't so busy w/ this freaking lawsuit i would have had mine done by now. what projectors did you use?
Are you doing this to actual JDM lights or did you get replicas? I have replicas that started to melt after I had a wiring issue. So they were out of commission until I randomly stumbled across these at a junkyard. Saw them in the bumper of a late 90's Subaru Legacy. The head of the projector (the round little metal part that holds the lens down) fits perfectly into the circular opening where you normally mount bulbs in. And I mean perfectly, like 0.00001mm leway and hold in so tight you need nothing else to mount them other than forcing them in. You obviously have to dremel out most of where the bulb nounts, though. :-D

I'll be finishing this one and starting the second one tomorrow. I'll take some pics of the process.

·
Abscissa & Ordinate
5,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
oh shit! hell yes! what kinda lens is that?

Whatever came with the the projector. They're not clear though, kinda frosted. But it looks like thats how they were made in the factory. Doubt there's anything aftermarket out there anyway, since they're so small.

·
_
2,494 Posts
by lens i meant "projector" lens.

late 90s subarus had projectors? crazy.

·
Abscissa & Ordinate
5,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
by lens i meant "projector" lens.

late 90s subarus had projectors? crazy.
Yeah, twas talkin' 'bout the projector lens. Obviously my foglight lens isn't frosted. :razz:

And you'd be surprised, atleast I was when I found out projectors were in use since like 91 or 92 on select lexus models and german cars.

well props to you for beating me to this. my projectors have been sitting in my garage for the past 3 months collecting dust. are you running hids w/ these?
Yeah, I will be. Don't have any HIDs on me yet though. Will buy some soon. First I have to see how the light output is with these and hope it doesn't scatter every which way. :laugh:

What projectors did you pickup?

This looks good!, enough with the tease and get some real pics up :D
pretty cool, picture updates?
Sorry, I got called into work this morning. Won't be out until 4pm EST (I hope), so I won't get started again until then.

But these aren't light headlight retros, as in the projector doesn't stick out inside the housing. Instead, the projector is flush with the rear of the reflector bowl. :satisfied:

·
Abscissa & Ordinate
5,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Abscissa & Ordinate
5,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
im trying to find some 350z projectors as well.
This is what the legacy fogs look like:

If you ever decide to go this route. I bet they're dime a dozen at any junkyard near you.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts