Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
***jdm3genprelude*** build continues

Hey everyone. Well Sean convinced me to do a progress thread on my car. When I get started on stuff, its hard to drop what you're doing and take a picture so I dont have pictures of everything. I'm sure I'm not the only one who ran into that. I've own this 89 prelude for almost 10 years now and don't have much to show for it until the past few year. It was primered after owning it for 2 years and still the same way but not for long. Anyways, I'll keep this short and get to the good stuff....

list of mods in order since i owned the car..

(2001-2006)
1. purchased a blue 89 prelude 2.0 si 4ws (salvaged)
2. yellow newuspeed race springs on stock struts
3. integra ls mesh rims
4. custom fitted short ram intake
5. blown tranny
6. fully REBUILT HEAD
7. shaved off moldings
8. primered car
9. blown tranny again (left car at parents house and moved to az for school)
10. flew back put in new tranny and motor (block had rod knock) wasnt complete so it sat again for another few months
11. then towed it to arizona (where i lived) and completed the engine replacement
12. got car running after new axles, tps sensor, and clutch (IGNORE THE Z3 FENDER. JUST HAD TO BUY IT TO SEE HOW IT LOOKED, SHAVED THE Z3 FENDER AS WELL THEN JUNKED IT. LOL)

(2007-2009)
1. got a loan to do a swap
2. relocate battery to trunk
3. ordered jdm h22 with lsd, rywire, underdrive crank pulley, gator axles, hondata s200, az race mounts, black trax double intake spacers, aem v2 intake, dc headers, h23 manual tensioner conversion, walbro fuel pump, oem tune up, p72 socketed but no chip, ground control coilovers with tokico blue shocks, skunk2 titanium cam gears.
4. towed it back to cali when i moved
5. got car running right.
6. new 2.5 inch piping all the way
7. adr sodoku rims
8. stock tune
9. chopped off 89 rear tail light and installed 90 tail light, trunk, bumper
10. installed mud flaps, accord side skirts, accord mugen replica lip
11. strut bars trunk engine and rear seat, rear sway bar end link, ksport suspension

(2010-CURRENT)
1. removed h22 engine
2. removed all suspension bushings except LCA's and removed all ball joints and tie rod ends, wheel bearings, extended studs
3. az race traction bar
4. built h22 motor, 3 angle valve job, valve guide shortened, milled head, port-n-polished, 87.5 m bore, decked block, type s piston replica with nitrate coating, eagle h beam rods, kaizen speed balancer shaft eliminator kit, balanced n micro polished crank, crower 2 camshafts, crower titanium valve springs n retainers, ferrea ss valves, RC 370 injectors, GE fuel rail, GE intake manifold, Blox 74mm TB, new water pump, new oil pump, etc. PENDING NEW CLUTCH AND ATI SUPER DAMPER PULLEY
5. fuse box and vacuum box relocation IN THE PROCESS
6. wire tuck IN THE PROCESS
7. new fender with side markers, new doors, removed bondo on rear quarter panels (going back to moldings and replacing doors and fenders easier) AT BODY SHOP
8. brake line tuck IN THE PROCESS

***BEGINNING OF WIRE,VACUUM, BRAKE LINE TUCK***

Originally, this is what you would see inside of a honda prelude. I already had it removed but put it somewhat back into place to take pictures of it. I was planning on having RYWIRE make a harness for a plug and play setup but after about a 20 minute conversation, I felt really insulted. So Im challenging myself and prove that RYWIRE is not the only option out there.

These pictures below is me removing the plugs from the fuse box. its quite simple. All you need is something small, long, and sharp. i used 1 of the right angle pic kit that i bought from kragen. it worked perfectly.

Below is pictures of wires I had to extend. Most of the solder joints were due extensions. A few were from crissed crossed wires in the original loom. So all in all, I only had to extend about 12 wires at most. I'm relocating my fuse box to under the passenger seat. and main engine harness trough the firewall.

This pic below is a shot of the driver side fender well. 2 relays are mounted in there instead of inside the engine bay. no need to extend wires.

Since im not that clever with electrical wiring conversions, im sticking with the old vacuum box and having it tucked under the dash, right next to the center console so it would be out of the way as much as possible.

I made a hole in the firwall around the ecu plate and thats wheer my battery cable, engine harness and vacuum lines will go.

And so far, this is how everything is starting to turn out.... I WILL BE STARTING ON THE BRAKE LINES TOMORROW AND FIGURE WHAT ELSE I CAN TUCK SINCE THE FIREWALL STILL LOOKS SLOPPY. LOL THANKS FOR CHECKING OUT MY PROGRESS!!!!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
It all looks good bra. I personally like the shaved side moldings.
thanks lol. i still like the shaved side moldings but i just got tired of body work. lol im leaning more towards plain and simple now and more towards original. hey u go to sjsu right? lol i have a bad memory of if u were the guy helped get the engine fired up.

·
Registered
539 Posts
looking hella good, cant wait to see the outcome!!

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Nice, I always wondered what was done to your car.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
thanks lol. i still like the shaved side moldings but i just got tired of body work. lol im leaning more towards plain and simple now and more towards original. hey u go to sjsu right? lol i have a bad memory of if u were the guy helped get the engine fired up.

I think you are talking about raspinudo. But I understand I would never have the patience to do that shaving of side mouldings. Keep the updates coming and peep my buid thread either here or on BAP

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
haha thats me man

·
Needs Sensitivity Train'n
2,142 Posts
Outstandinf work and thanks for putting up pictures. Work like this is often overlooked and under appreciated as it takes a lot of timw and aptience but your end result looks fantastic. Keep it up man as I llok forward to seeing your finished work of art.

·
UNNATURAL HEIGHTS
1,534 Posts
Bout time. Subscribed.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
I have always wondered what was done to this car! Like what you have done dude, its gonna roll out when your done!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
SORRY NO UPDATES TODAY WITH THE BRAKE LINE TUCK. GOT STUCK WORKING ON MY 4RUNNER. REPLACED CAM SEALS, CRANK SEAL, WATER PUMP, THERMOSTAT, TIMING BELT. and its still not complete. lol stupid auto tensioner wont retract to where i can lock it place. i used a jack to push the tensioner against the bottom of my prelude, and the damn thing still didnt retract. instead, it lifted my prelude off the jackstands. lol gota go use a press tomorrow to get that stupid auto tensioner to retract.

lookin good man. I was wondering what to do with the vacuum box also. Keep the pics comin :)
thanks. i definetly will be uploading more pics. as far as the vacuum box goes, i think thats a nice spot to put it since i dont want to extend anymore wires. the plugs should be able to reach no problem.

Looking right you should shave the fuse box mount good work bro.
i definetly will be removing that mounting bracket or plate. im thinking about filling in some of holes or welding plates since now it looks to be a holy engine bay.

Nice, I always wondered what was done to your car.
i kept a low profile for quite some time and now i just feel like whats the point. lol

I think you are talking about raspinudo. But I understand I would never have the patience to do that shaving of side mouldings. Keep the updates coming and peep my buid thread either here or on BAP
thanks!!! i will definetly check your build thread

Outstandinf work and thanks for putting up pictures. Work like this is often overlooked and under appreciated as it takes a lot of timw and aptience but your end result looks fantastic. Keep it up man as I llok forward to seeing your finished work of art.
its gona be quite a while before i finish this up really. i've always wanted a wire tuck and though the conversation with rywire, i rather make my own and in the future if my car was to ever be in a magazine, i definetly WILL NOT give them any credit. especially since i found out that the wire harness conversion was just opening up the looms and add on a few extra wires. everything else was old and brittle still. so if im up for it, i will be opening up the looms and replace every single wire and solder on the old plug ends unless im able to find the source of where to get new plugs at a decent price.

I have always wondered what was done to this car! Like what you have done dude, its gonna roll out when your done!
anything is possible. you just gota believe in yourself. lol to be honest, i have no book education on engines. everything was hands on for me. ive done motor change outs since i was about 13 helping my dad but when i 1st installed the h22 motor, it was my actual 1st motor swap. soldering wires is simple. all you need is some practice. i bought shrink wraps from frys electronics. each of the 3 different sizes i used was bout 3 or 4 foot pieces at between $1.00-$1.40 each. and as far as nuts and bolts, just take something off and put the nuts and bolts back on after you remove the parts

·
UNNATURAL HEIGHTS
1,534 Posts
Any updates man?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Any updates man?
sorry nothing yet. i've been focusing on my 4runner. just got done with a major tune up for the 1st time since i bought it in 98 and also replaced all 4 shocks . lol i procrastinated until a long road trip was about to take place. i will be heading tomorrow to texas for 2 weeks. all my funds went from the prelude to the suv. when i get back, i will definetly finish the brake line, paint the engine bay, install the suspensions and tow it to a body shop. and however long they will take to paint it is another story. oh and before it gets towed there, i have to complete the true sleepy eye conversion.

·
UNNATURAL HEIGHTS
1,534 Posts
Sounds awesome man can't wait to see how it turns out. You ended up ditching the filled body lines didn't you?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
ok fellas. i just got back from texas friday so i was not able to work on my car as much. now i have a dead line of 2 months before i move so i need this car done. here is the update on tucks. i remind you that im not a pro nor am i trying to do professional work. the way i see it, i dont have much time, and im not a professional. but what is not visible will not do no harm. lol

THANKS TO PSYCHOBOY, my functional sleepy/lazy eye conversion. just need to wait for my new HID fog light kits to come in and figure out how to mount it....

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
no go for the fuse box under the passenger seat. i ended up needing about another 6 inches on every wire and not enough clearance. lol but decided to put it in a new location which i think is actually not bad. IN THE GLOVE BOX!!!

1 - 20 of 159 Posts