Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rear right speaker began to start sounding nasty the other day. So I decided it was time to experiment with some aftermarket sound. I went out and bought a small 200 watt amp and some 60 watt RMS rated speakers and a wiring kit at walmart. I'm not trying to go crazy here, just a little better than stock which I believe is 20 watts per speaker. I installed everything correctly and it was all going to plan. I hooked it all up running the line directly from the old speaker plugs to a converter box to my amp then back to the speakers.

I zip tied the little microphones fairly close to the speakers because I figured I would need to do this for some silly system to work, which turns out to be the Acoustic Feedback System. I get it all bolted down and ready to go. Turn everything on and start to slowly turn the gain up on the amp. But somethings off. The 6x9's sound more like tweeters, even with the bass turned to 5 and the treble to -5 on the HU the Alpine type S I have upfront have fuller sound. The low end just doesn't sound correct at all. But it doesn't sound like the speakers are clipping either. They just sound weird. There are one of two possibilities I can think could be causing this. The AFBS is screwing it up or I have the speaker line backwards going into the converter box. I tried swapping the speaker wire at the speakers but I haven't tried at the converter box yet. I'm trying that tomorrow.

Should I just bypass the AFBS or are these speakers and amp just super crappy or could the lines be out of phase going into the converter box? Thanks for the help in advanced!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts