Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help.. My 98 prelude sh has trouble starting in the cold. It started fine the other day like 3 days ago when it was in the 50s but now it's been in 20s Fahrenheit of course. But I will sit there and just crank it for ever and it will like start up and bog and die it almost seems like it's a fuel problem? Like maybe for some reason it's flooded because it always smells like gas like really bad after I start it and get out of my car to let it warm for a few moments and it smells like gas... But I need help this is my daily and need it in a few hours

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I only pushed it a few times and never did anything. But what would make it clogged out of nowhere? It ran perfectly fine a few days ago

·
Registered
31 Posts
Are you sure it's cold related or just coincidence? I'm having a starting issue too where it starts and then dies immediately...doesn't even get a chance to idle. Did you check for spark? The fact that you can smell fuel tells me you may have an ignition problem.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I sit there and just crank it for a while and it gets going and then shuts off.. My dad told me that his old accord and old prelude had the same issue in cold

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh but no I haven't checked for a spark it just started doing it yesterday when it cold really cold and started getting icy almost left me stranded at school.. But it does have a 140k an I got it at about 135,000 so I guess it could just be regular maintenance if the previous owner didn't at 100,000

·
Registered
31 Posts
Definitely check your plugs, cap and rotor in your distributor. Plugs should look...well you can Google spark plug reading to see how they should look. You'll be looking for excess wear on the cap and rotor terminals.

·
Registered
332 Posts
One of my 3rd gens and my current 5th Gen did the same thing when the IACV started to go, it's pretty common for those to go bad

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay so yesterday at 230pm I started up my car with zero problem as it was warmer out.. But in the morning it had trouble starting... And then this morning it also had trouble. So now I'm really starting to believe it's some type of cold thing?

·
Opinionated Bastard
7,274 Posts
Okay so yesterday at 230pm I started up my car with zero problem as it was warmer out.. But in the morning it had trouble starting... And then this morning it also had trouble. So now I'm really starting to believe it's some type of cold thing?
Did you check the idle air control valve yet, or not? The problem isn't just going to go away by itself.

·
Registered
332 Posts
check the IACV, the procedure should be in the FAQ it's really easy to do. if that ends up being the problem, then it's cheaper to buy an H23 IACV the only difference is the direction of the coolent line nipples iirc. but anyway start there and then get back to us

·
Registered
711 Posts
This is rare but can happen if ur EGR valve and ports are gunked up it'll freeze up causing no start issue cause it can't breath. You'll find nothing wrong with spark, fuel or compression once it's warm out. Check out ur EGR system.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry for taking so many years to reply. I gave up on the car for a while but now I want to drive it again and still doesn't start but I figured out if I crank it forever it kinda like warms up and if I crank it then stop and crank it again really fast it'll kinda make like a noise like its starting like the car is running but it only does it for like a second and I keep repeating the process and eventually it'll get faster and keep making that noise until it will eventually start but it's about a 15 minute process and it's gotta be closer to 50 degrees out.. And usually it has to be on a battery charger otherwise it'll die. But I want to solve this problem to start driving

·
Opinionated Bastard
7,274 Posts
Dude, punctuation. I can't make sense of what you're trying to say.

We've all told you what to check, have you done those things or not? FFS, cars don't magically heal if you ignore them for a while.

If you can't figure it out, take it to a garage and have them do it for you. Beating the hell out of your car to get it to start in the cold is going to do more damage than good.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Sorry for taking so many years to reply. I gave up on the car for a while but now I want to drive it again and still doesn't start but I figured out if I crank it forever it kinda like warms up and if I crank it then stop and crank it again really fast it'll kinda make like a noise like its starting like the car is running but it only does it for like a second and I keep repeating the process and eventually it'll get faster and keep making that noise until it will eventually start but it's about a 15 minute process and it's gotta be closer to 50 degrees out.. And usually it has to be on a battery charger otherwise it'll die. But I want to solve this problem to start driving
This is how you burn a starter up. Not good on the battery or alternator either. Batteries that sit uncharged get sulfated and die for good. When it is really cold they don't work as efficiently either.

Oh and the fitv is what i'd check first.

Ours are slightly different but here is an explanation. I had to do it on my base when i got it. I think it liked a little out from fully seated.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes I checked the iacv thing and cleaned it out and it didn't do anything. and yes I know that's how you burn up the starter that's why I gave up on it. But the battery isn't corroding or anything. I have it plugged in atleast once a week and start it on the warmest day. It's now in the garage. And sorry for the punctuation I'm on my phone and not paying much attention.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I sold the Prelude because of this.
Sold it to my step-dad; use to be his DD till get got a TL-s.

now in the winter he would just take the battery inside and put it in when he wants to drive it.

·
Opinionated Bastard
7,274 Posts
Has anyone checked for vacuum leaks? It could be something astronomically small and stupid.

I'm lost as to why you guys don't just take it to a shop and have it fixed, rather than dick around so much.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts