Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've tried searching under a couple topics (can't accelerate, no power, etc....) but I am having trouble solving this problem. Basically, my 98 base will not accelerate after 60mph or after 3000rpm in any gear. If I am traveling uphill, the lude has no power. When I continue gassing after 3000rpm in any gear, the car would just get louder and sound/feel like its choking. It also sounds like its sucking in a lot of air but i am not getting any power out of it. I have checked to make sure my intake is on tight. My cat does seem like its busted but it hasnt thrown a code yet. When you hit the cat or accelerate, it will rattle like no tomorrow and it is not from the heat shield. Could this be the cause? or what else can? Any input/help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Limp mode

·
Opinionated Bastard
7,260 Posts
Sounds like it's in limp mode... check your codes lately?

You need a new cat, plain and simple. If your cat rattles THAT bad when you tap it and you know it's not the shields, you've probably got a cat that's clogged tighter than a frog's ass in water.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
limp mode as every one said. probably from clogged cat. take off the cat and see what happens.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Clogged cat is correct. Just replaced it with a Magnaflow high flow. Some good stuff. Highly recommended. Thanks for all the help guys.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Just run and open header. I broke a weld right after the cat on my exhaust on my old B16 EF hatch and all I have to say is:
DOHC VTEC Hondas sound teh secks with no exhaust. It was super low and grumbly until I hit VTEC, at which point it sounded like a crotch rocket on steroids. (almost like a Formula 1 car) It was sweet until my shifter got all loose from the vibration.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts