Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of purchasing my first ever project car. Im a mechanical engineering undergrad and im looking at a 97 prelude for my choice. Is this a good decision?

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
Hi and welcome to this forum! Do you have any objectives in mind for the project? Are you looking to build a fast car, a good looking car... rebuild an engine just to learn how, or what?

·
Opinionated Bastard
7,272 Posts
You're going to need to give us a lot more info that that.

Your engineering degree means nothing when you're wrenching. I know this because in my engineering degree relates almost nothing to cars. Some of the brightest engineers I work with are as useful as a screen door on a submarine when it comes to wrenching on their cars.

A '97 Prelude can be a great decision or poor decision- it depends on what your idea of a "project car" is.

What's your background look like? What experience do you have working on cars? What tools do you have available? What do you want to accomplish or learn?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How could it be a bad decision. Id like to build a fast g ood looking car

How could it be a bad decision. Id like to build a fast good looking car

You're going to need to give us a lot more info that that.

Your engineering degree means nothing when you're wrenching. I know this because in my engineering degree relates almost nothing to cars. Some of the brightest engineers I work with are as useful as a screen door on a submarine when it comes to wrenching on their cars.

A '97 Prelude can be a great decision or poor decision- it depends on what your idea of a "project car" is.

What's your background look like? What experience do you have working on cars? What tools do you have available? What do you want to accomplish or learn?

·
Opinionated Bastard
7,272 Posts
How could it be a bad decision. Id like to build a fast good looking car
I hope you have REALLY deep pockets and a LOT of car building background if you want to build a "fast" Prelude. These cars don't exactly make power easily.

If you just wanted to take a Prelude and lower it a little, add some wheels, a lip kit, and a few little bolt-ons, then a Prelude is a fantastic choice. They're great cruisers, and they drive... well, just awesome.

If your goal is to build a 300+whp car with a bunch of custom touches, then you're out of depth if you even need to ask.

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
The default around here is to underestimate the abilities of new forum members because we know nothing about them. Sometimes they come through with some awesome surprises and I would love that to be the case this time.

Look into the J-series swap and see if it sounds like something that you could do. While it is by no means plug and play, it's been done, and it would give you lots of torque without having to modify the engine itself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts