Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so before i give the symptoms to my prelude i'll let you know what is all done to it and what i have already checked and tested up to this point

so i bought a 1998 Honda Prelude and lost all oil on the drive back from rear main seal failure so i blew it up after 2 hours of owning it.
i bought another h22, but i could only get my hands on a jdm h22a that came out of a 4th gen prelude.

i got to working and got the swap done and i go to turn the key and it only cranks but does not turn over

well after some diagnosing, i find out it's because the injectors are not receiving any power to the connectors at all

i trace it back to the main harness connector that taps into the fuel injector circuit and runs into the firewall, i was getting no voltage from there either so i assumed it might have been the ecu

since the one that came with the car was a spare one he had lying around (also it was obd1 converted)

so i proceed to order another ecu (a chipped obd1 p28 with a base map for my prelude)

i plug it in and it has the same issue, still no power to the injectors

i've checked all grounds, checked to see if my crank pulley had the obd2 timing sprocket (it did), checked all fuses relating to fuel, tps has been swapped with a known good one, also i have swapped all my coolant temp sensors

also distributor is obd2 along with the injectors.

any suggestions?

·
Administrator
6,932 Posts
Did you use the original engine harness from your H22a4?

Is the car registering the key? Is the fuel pump priming/main relay working?

Reactions: Cory41

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Did you use the original engine harness from your H22a4?

Is the car registering the key? Is the fuel pump priming/main relay working?
The car is registering the key, well at least the green immobilizer light doesn’t stay on when key on engine off, also the pump is priming and I am getting fuel pressure to the fuel rail, also yes I’m using my h22a4 engine harness that was in the car

·
Registered
99 Posts
i understand the injectors are not getting power, but is there a spark ? if no signal to injector and no signal to spark,maybe its the item telling those things to function,if it sparks then possibly its getting a signal (this is a long shot in the start of diagnosing the problem)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i understand the injectors are not getting power, but is there a spark ? if no signal to injector and no signal to spark,maybe its the item telling those things to function,if it sparks then possibly its getting a signal (this is a long shot in the start of diagnosing the problem)
yes there is spark, i know because if i use starter fluid it turns over and runs fine but dies obviously because the injectors are not firing

·
Registered
JDM 4th Gen Prelude 2.2 Vtec Turbo
38 Posts
Is there an injector resistor box in the mix somewhere here?

You can't run OBD 1 ECU's and OBD 2 injectors without one, or vice versa with one.

If your rocking an OBD 1 ECU, you need a resistor box for the injectors and OBD 1 injectors.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is there an injector resistor box in the mix somewhere here?

You can't run OBD 1 ECU's and OBD 2 injectors without one, or vice versa with one.

If your rocking an OBD 1 ECU, you need a resistor box for the injectors and OBD 1 injectors.
are you sure? when i got the car it already had an obd1 ecu conversion running with the same injectors that are on it now. no change was made

·
Registered
38 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
so the injectors need GROUND to work...i have had very odd ground issues with my preludes headlites,i know you said you checked ground, but is there a path to ground from the injector plug to battery negative? (PS-never worked with fuel injectors so not sure of wiring),,,maybe that doesnt make sense...you said there was no power to them, but how do you check that ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so the injectors need GROUND to work...i have had very odd ground issues with my preludes headlites,i know you said you checked ground, but is there a path to ground from the injector plug to battery negative? (PS-never worked with fuel injectors so not sure of wiring),,,maybe that doesnt make sense...you said there was no power to them, but how do you check that ?
Well yes on the injector connector there is a power wire and a ground wire, as for if that ground directly to the battery ground idk but it’s definitely grounded to chassis somewhere (as far as I know) and yes I checked with a dvom and found 0Volts to the injector connectors

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok so before i give the symptoms to my prelude i'll let you know what is all done to it and what i have already checked and tested up to this point

so i bought a 1998 Honda Prelude and lost all oil on the drive back from rear main seal failure so i blew it up after 2 hours of owning it.
i bought another h22, but i could only get my hands on a jdm h22a that came out of a 4th gen prelude.

i got to working and got the swap done and i go to turn the key and it only cranks but does not turn over

well after some diagnosing, i find out it's because the injectors are not receiving any power to the connectors at all

i trace it back to the main harness connector that taps into the fuel injector circuit and runs into the firewall, i was getting no voltage from there either so i assumed it might have been the ecu

since the one that came with the car was a spare one he had lying around (also it was obd1 converted)

so i proceed to order another ecu (a chipped obd1 p28 with a base map for my prelude)

i plug it in and it has the same issue, still no power to the injectors

i've checked all grounds, checked to see if my crank pulley had the obd2 timing sprocket (it did), checked all fuses relating to fuel, tps has been swapped with a known good one, also i have swapped all my coolant temp sensors

also distributor is obd2 along with the injectors.

any suggestions?
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting
Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

also realllllyyyy stupid of me not to mention but there are also these 2 leftover plugins I haven't found a connector for after the engine swap. One of which comes directly off of the injector harness and the other is coming off of where the coolant temp sensors are. Maybe the one near the injector is the reason why my injectors aren't getting power?

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
The top one is probably EGR, TPS or MAP sensor.

These are all the same type of connector and easily mixed up. Your best bet is to get the manual and look at the colour of the wires for each in the wiring diagram and double check all your electrical connections.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The top one is probably EGR, TPS or MAP sensor.

These are all the same type of connector and easily mixed up. Your best bet is to get the manual and look at the colour of the wires for each in the wiring diagram and double check all your electrical connections.
It’s probably EGR since there is no EGR system on the car and I’ve already located the TPS and MAP sensors into the correct sensor plugins

1 - 14 of 14 Posts