Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the NSX is back, fantastic, but what about those of us who want something sporty from Honda, don't have $130,000+ to spend on it, and find the latest Civic Si inadequate? I think it's time for some some prelude pipe dreams.

This is sort of a byproduct of boredom during a power outage, but still I feel that Im onto something here and it's time to revive the Prelude. My thoughts just involved drivetrain specs and layout. Fair warning; the power was out for a few hours, so I did go a bit nuts with this. As a result there are 5 trims: S, Si, Si-R, type R and for some serious insanity, a special edition that I call the Type 33R.

Here's the real kicker: Rear wheel drive! This was a shortfall of past preludes. Yes, they handled well, but FWD just didn't seem right for the powertrain, especially the later models. To me, rear wheel drive just makes more sense when building a sports car.

S model:pretty basic, sort of a 'my first sports car' type thing to compete with the Subaru BRZ/ Scion FR-S for a modest price somewhere in the $20-25k range.
Engine: I'm thinking of a modernized revival of the B21A. That was a great engine with the readily available mid range power and a decent top end, which would be improved I'm sure by VTEC, since all Hondas now have it.
2.1L (2056cc) I-4 DOHC 4 valves/ cyl ~200hp ~180ft-lb torque
redline:6500-7000
6 speed manual or 5 speed auto
Acceleration 0-60mph: ~6 seconds
Top speed: Should be at least 150
The suspension should be similar to the original but adapted for a RWD chassis as necessary.

Si model: As is the way with most Si models, I see a car with upgraded performance without being hopelessly impractical. Fast , but cozy. Maybe adjustable suspension, a sport mode and comfort mode, that sort of thing
Engine:Enter the F20C. The departure of the S2000 was only sad because of the engine that died with it, so I say bring it back, and just for shits and giggles, let's supercharge it so you don't have to rev it to kingdom come to access any measurable power or torque.
2.0L DOHC I-4 4 valves/cyl. ~265hp ~220ft-lb torque.
Redline: WAS 8500rpm, but with a supercharger, I'm not sure if it would be necessary, or even safe to rev that high.
Transmission: 6 speed manual or 5 speed auto
Acceleration 0-60: 5.5 seconds OR less.
Top speed: ~165mph

Si-R model: Now for the modernized revival of the much loved H22 series except this time turbocharged and intercooled from the factory, instead of from your shed with much profanity. This is where it gets a bit crazy, because this is the trim that would start challenging the Germans. This, I think, should at least challenge the BMW 135, and even the 1M coupe, this is also where the price tag takes the inevitable leap into the $30k+ zone.
Engine: 2.2L I-4 DOHC 4 valves per cyl. Turbocharged and intercooled 300+hp 275+ ft-lb torque. 6 or perhaps 7 speed manual or 6 speed automatic transmission
Acceleration: 0-60 Should be under 5 seconds at this point, it just seems right.
Top speed: ~175 mph

Type-R: This would be the model built with one thing in mind: Speed. Strip it right out! No carpets, no extra buttons or features, carbon fiber replacing metal wherever possible, rear seats and radio optional, stiffened suspension, so what if it's a bitch to drive in the city, the track is where this car thrives! I would think about $40k sounds fair for this one.
Engine: Maybe the Si-R engine , but with more boost, and upgraded cooling to match. Maybe some more aggressive cams, whatever needs to be done to get the crazy level of power necessary to break the record for most powerful 4 cylinder to be mass produced. I think Mercades has it right now at 355hp in the CLA45 AMG
[email protected] 375+ft-lb torque starting as low-rpm as possible and sustaining to as high as possible.
Weight:2800 lbs or less
Acceleration: 0-60: 4.5 seconds or less
Top Speed:~180mph

Type-33R: Think the type-r is nuts? That has a powerful engine, but how about putting a wild animal under the hood? It's time to explore uncharted territory here. How about taking this born again H22, and increasing it's cylinder count and displacement by 50%. 2 more cylinders of identical dimensions resulting in a 3.3L Inline-six, (codename H33 perhaps?) and a turbo system similar to the Si-R, just expanded a bit to accommodate the increase in engine size. Stripped down like the Type- R with the option of putting some of the luxuries back in such as stereo, air conditioning, and rear seats if you must.
Engine: 3.3L I-6 DOHC 4 valves per cylinder. Turbocharged and intercooled.
[email protected] 400+ft-lbs torque on a powerband and as long as possible.
Purists will want an old fashioned manual gearbox (6 or 7 speed) but with all this power on tap, a dual clutch paddle-shift gearbox may be worth considering as a premium option. The point here is to take on the BMW M3, and hopefully give it a fat lip.
Acceleration: Blistering, less than 4 seconds would be entirely possible here, this model will need a trick differential of some sort, most likely computer controlled with a specialized launch setting, a couple of different track options for whether you want inch perfect precision, or tire shredding, powersliding, sideways madness.

So that's my take on what today's revival of the Prelude should look like. Some basic rules for this revival; a Prelude should never cost more than $90,000 off the showroom floor (not even a type 33R). It should always be quick and fun to drive, and there should never be a dressed up version wearing a fucking Acura badge!

I'd like to what everyone thinks of what I've come up with, and if anyone else has ideas for a Prelude revival post It here. I wanted to make this a sticky thread, but I couldn't figure out how, or if I can do that yet.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
The next Prelude will be a hybrid. Probably 4-cyl, small turbo gasser in the back with one electric motor up front. Both power plants will have their own, stupidly complex transmissions/differentials in the next iteration of the "super handling" technology. The car will cost approximately $40,000.

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
Never mind the fact that RWD Hondas get S-names. The modern Prelude is the V6 Accord coupe. It's big, powerful, FWD and starts at $38,500 here in Canada.

Dreaming is fun though. :)

Only mods can make stickies, imagine the mess if we all could?

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
The next Prelude can be whatever you want it to be because it is nothing but a pipe dream.
It's not impossibru. World economy is sucking less, the new NSX will create a generation of poor fanbois that can't afford one, but could maybe scrape together enough for a Prelude.

Either the S2k or the Prelude is likely to come back, and I wouldn't be surprised if they called it either.

Oh, btw, did you guys see Audi ripped us off in both name, styling, and general concept? It's like they're daring Honda.

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/audi-prologue-concept-photos-and-info-news

Look at this copy cat 3/4 shot. All-wheel steering, a platform to test out new ideas for the rest of the line, that fucking tuck under the doors that's ripped straight off the 5th gen. Abbreviated but present rear deck, similarly raked and shaped C-pillar--sheeit, flip the taillights upside down and they're straight off a Honda. Audi "Prologue"... disgusts me:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The next Prelude will be a hybrid. Probably 4-cyl, small turbo gasser in the back with one electric motor up front. Both power plants will have their own, stupidly complex transmissions/differentials in the next iteration of the "super handling" technology. The car will cost approximately $40,000.
No disrespect playludesc but I really hope you're wrong. The car you just described would be an insult to the Prelude badge, as it would be a miniaturized version of the NSX drivetrain. This system only makes sense in the NSX, since it was always mid-engined. If the Prelude returns in the form you describe, I do believe that it will be a story much like the CR-Z. An absolute flop, and rightfully so.
I do thank you for your second post though, it's not impossible. Maybe if a site like this joined with other similar sites and appealed publicly, some executives and/or engineers from Honda would read it and think 'hmmm sounds interesting' As far as the S2000 making a comeback, I really hope not. The engine was great, but the rest was crap. The specialized race versions were only good because Meugen or Spoon stepped in and said 'we can make something great out of this, but it can't be a convertible.' Without a fixed roof, the S2000 was so damn fidgety in the way it took corners, it was a disaster. Having actually taken one for a spin myself, and being just a little exuberant with it, I know what they mean on Top Gear UK when they say that convertibles sometimes "handle like two bricks joined by a playing card".
As far as the Audi thing goes, I'm appalled, but not surprised. I always thought Audis were somewhat overrated. Furthermore, remember how there was a stereotype that BMWs were driven exclusively by elitist pricks? That's not true anymore, because those pricks, for some reason, have moved into Audis.

Never mind the fact that RWD Hondas get S-names. The modern Prelude is the V6 Accord coupe. It's big, powerful, FWD and starts at $38,500 here in Canada.
First off, the Accord V6 coupe, although it's a perfectly decent car, is about 600 lbs too heavy to be today's prelude. Also at 280 horsepower, it's no slouch, but we all know Honda can do better, and when they do, you can't just fire large amounts of horsepower at the front wheels and hope for the best (not if you want to take corners in it anyway). I'm fully aware that Honda is second to none when it comes to FWD differentials, but even so, when getting near the 300 zone in horsepower, they will have to look at the rear wheels for solutions. Otherwise you're stuck with torque steer under acceleration, and catastrophic understeer when trying to take corners at speed. Honestly, wouldn't it be cool if Honda made a car that could drift? And I mean real drifting using engine power to spin the rear wheels, not that stupid parking brake spin-out shit that only goes well in heavy snow.

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
The lightest 5th gen Prelude was 2954 lbs [wikipedia] and the lightest 2001 Accord coupe was 2967 lbs [honda.com]. Lightness was never a priority for the Prelude.

Prelude was not a sports car. It was a sporty car. What you're dreaming of is not a Prelude but an S-series car. An S3300, if you will. If you want one of those, Nissan will happily sell you a 370z.

Looking back we tend to view the Prelude as a sports car because it is so tossable compared to just about anything from 2015. But remember the old Accords were pretty fun too, just by virtue of being light[er than they are now] and having good suspension. For a long time, Accord was the driver's choice of family sedans. The Prelude distinctives were: more attractive proportions at the sacrifice of interior room, standard sunroof, more power, unique dash layouts in 1st and 4th gen, 4ws in 3rd and 4th gen, and generally high-tech features. It was never so far removed from the Accord that a modern version would be RWD.

·
Sky's out, thighs out
7,826 Posts
The new prelude would be bloated and boring. I could never see them bringing that the sexy long ass hood of the 5th gen.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The lightest 5th gen Prelude was 2954 lbs [wikipedia] and the lightest 2001 Accord coupe was 2967 lbs [honda.com]. Lightness was never a priority for the Prelude.

Prelude was not a sports car. It was a sporty car. What you're dreaming of is not a Prelude but an S-series car. An S3300, if you will. If you want one of those, Nissan will happily sell you a 370z.

Looking back we tend to view the Prelude as a sports car because it is so tossable compared to just about anything from 2015. But remember the old Accords were pretty fun too, just by virtue of being light[er than they are now] and having good suspension. For a long time, Accord was the driver's choice of family sedans. The Prelude distinctives were: more attractive proportions at the sacrifice of interior room, standard sunroof, more power, unique dash layouts in 1st and 4th gen, 4ws in 3rd and 4th gen, and generally high-tech features. It was never so far removed from the Accord that a modern version would be RWD.
Since this is a modern revival, what I looked at was today's Accord V6 coupe not a 14 year old model. The 2015 model weighs in right around 3500 lbs, you can look at the specs on Honda's official website yourself. Let's not forget that the Prelude was also never about what has been done, or is being done. It was always about what can be done better, and things that just might be in the future.

Also I'm going to stand strong on my view that the road version of the S2000 was a miserable disaster, the engine was literally the only good thing.
The Nissan 370z kind of sucks too. Nissan's Z cars are starting to go through the same problem the Volkswagen GTI did for 2 generations, by getting all bloated and weighed down with shit that you don't need in this kind of car, and the engine getting less and less interesting. Hopefully Nissan does what VW did in 2008 with the GTI by pulling their heads out of their asses, looking at their Z cars objectively, and getting the next Z on the right track. They used to be cool, but they just aren't anymore. The only cool thing Nissan makes anymore is the GT-R.

Final thought: Comparing a prelude to an accord coupe is like comparing a pear to an avocado. Yes they have a similar shape, but the texture, flavor and purpose are very different, and that is how it should be if the Prelude returns.

·
Registered
50 Posts
i'd love to see a rear wheel drive prelude !
i could go for one in the brz price range, max $30, 000 for basic model

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I've always been fascinated by the 'rear wheel drive, turbo V-6, #2500' wishes for the next generation Prelude. Basically everyone always describes some super-car, which is of course what we all want all cars to be, but let's play a realistic game of what the next prelude should be.

I'm going to go with.... since the Integra is out now, and the Prelude was originally built on the Civic platform.... a civic based chassis ... maybe all electric? Since the Prelude was always about whatever something new they could bring. Honda hasn't really done much with all electric cars yet. Maybe if we're lucky we could get a motor at each corner, since folks are doing that a bit. More likely just a good electric motor at the front. Maybe two motors at the front. One for each wheel and then you could do something like ATTS in a FWD electric car. It wouldn't be light, the Prelude was always supposed to have a certain 'luxury' component to it. That's why it never got a Type-R, just a Type-S.

·
Administrator
6,891 Posts
That concept is horrible

I agree with mr bbsex.

If they brought the Prelude back, it would be ruined.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Damn that's a funny looking car. It's like someone was trying to design a new RSX and had a stroke.

Seriously though, I know past Preludes have always had luxury features, and that's why I'm suggesting so many different trims. If you want that posh version where everything's wrapped in leather, get an si. If you want a stripped down hardcore version, enter the first ever Prelude type-r. Don't be so defeatist about this. These gloomy hybrids are good ideas for future civics and accords, but let's be honest, the Prelude was always something special, as it should be if it comes back.

·
Administrator
6,891 Posts
Too much modern day tech will kill it. It was an experimental car and had enough flaws in older models.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
What's wrong with hybrids? The Prelude was special because it always had some new tech in regards to it's powertrain/suspension. The idea would be that they would make something interesting/sporty/fun with it.

·
Administrator
6,891 Posts
What's wrong with hybrids? The Prelude was special because it always had some new tech in regards to it's powertrain/suspension. The idea would be that they would make something interesting/sporty/fun with it.

With the luck Preludes bring, it'll catch on fire faster than a new exotic :lol:

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I've often heard of this Prelude curse, but never understood it. Mine have always been dead nuts reliable (within reason of two cars with 200+ kmi and one is a race car). But then I'm a really good mechanic. :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What's wrong with hybrids?
That depends... these new hybrid supercars from such companies as McLaren, Porsche, Ferrari, and the new NSX, nothing, they're amazing and crazy fast. Can't go wrong there.
The more well known type of hybrid however, like a Toyota prius and similar cars praised by eco-tards for saving the planet when, in reality, producing parts of these horrid little shitboxes actually generates hundereds of thousands of miles worth of pollution before the car has even been driven. What's wrong with these hybrids? Everyf*ckingthing. I think I'd rather have warts...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts