Honda Prelude Forum banner

Prelude junkie's build thread

6K views 62 replies 30 participants last post by  Gold3GLude 
#1 · (Edited)
This will be my official progress/build thread.I'll post everything i've done to my 91 si lude from upgrades and mods to complete swaps.I'll start from the top...

Day 1 (the day i picked her up)

I bought it for $500 with a knocking b21a1 engine(spun main bearing) and an auto tranny.The interior and exterior are in great shape so i figured it would be a good base to start with.These next pics were taken 2 weeks later after slapping some new shoes and installing a short ram intake...

After searching the net on craigslist and local forums i finally found a parts car so that i can do a 5 speed conversion and maybe swap out blocks.Well,after arriving to pick up the parts car i was surprised to discover that it had a jdm b20a in it.So now i'm thinking: ENGINE SWAP BABY, WOO WOO...

I picked this one up for $400.It has the tranny strapped to the engine cause the clutch went on the car and the guy tried to replace it himself but couldn't.So,we strapped it up just so i can tow it out of there.Now that i got my parts car,it's time to go to work.After ordering a new clutch,i begin the swap...

Btw:I did not draw that doodle of a penis on the EM,i bought it like that

Time to roll out the old and roll in the new...

The clutch has not arrived yet but,I can't wait.No time to loose,i'll just have to put it in together with the tranny after i drop the engine in...

The clutch finally arrives the next morning(XTD STAGE 3) and it's off to work again...

Here are some pics of the 5 speed conversion...

Swapped clusters...

I also did a battery relocation to gain more engine bay space for a Cold Air Intake later on...

And last but not least,here is a pic of me and my loving and extremely supporting wife...

Don't laugh at my mechanic clothes,lol.They were given to me by my cousin who was in the military.
I wished i would've taken more pics but,i was in a rush cause it's my daily driver and i had to get it done in 3 days so i can go to work.Not to mention i did it all by myself cause loser friends never showed to lend a hand.Well,thats it for now untill the next project,upgrade or mod.

EDIT***
I have the red '90 lude shell up for a part out.Pm me with what you need.I also have the b21a1 engine and auto tranny.

See less See more
#6 ·
nice job on the swap man......and I would be intersted in those parts if you werent in florida grr lol o welll good job man

#9 ·
Did you by chance resurface the flywheel?
Not really,I ran a thin sand paper through it real quick to remove some surface rust but thats it.I didn't even get a chance to wash the engine and tranny while they were out of the car cause time was too tight.But i'm going to replace it with a light weight flywheel sometime soon.

#10 ·
Grats man on a nice job. I know you had a ton of work to knock out during the process. Yeah, I know about not depending on friends when it comes to working on our cars. Pat yourself on the back man and have a cold one. Cheers!!!!!

#16 ·
wow i spent 18 hours and havent even gotten theblock and tranny out yet but im doin it in cold ass iowa in an unheated garage and ive never actually had to work on handas before so congrats on the swap and come to iowa to help me with mine will ya.
Posted via Mobile
Thats why i love florida,weather is great all year round.Plus i don't have to worry about snow and getting the lude all rusted up.

Good job bro, have joined the ranks of the auto to 5 speed swappers on this forum. And thank you for sharing the pictures, it is helpful for those on here who are too afraid to do it because they cant see what needs to be done.
Thanks man.I plan to take pics on everything i do to the lude and post them here.

looks great! you threw down on that swap. the motor and a 5 speed swap in three days? alone? i'm impressed. i take forever on that kind of stuff, but thats probably because i don't have to worry about needing my lude for transportation (yay accord daily driver) and i spend hours cleaning random stuff. i would have moved my battery a little farther over if i were you... and if you plan on storing stuff in the trunk (especially anything metal) then you should get a battery box so nothing accidentally arcs against it.
Thanks.It was three days but,about 40 hours+ though.I'd start at 7am and work straight till about 8-10pm.As for the battery,i placed it there cause the chasis sticks out to the right of it and doesn't let me put the battery level.Also i wanted it away from the car jack holster so that i can have access to it in case of a flat on the road.I do plan to get the enclosure,i saw it at walmart yesterday.

#13 ·
looks great! you threw down on that swap. the motor and a 5 speed swap in three days? alone? i'm impressed. i take forever on that kind of stuff, but thats probably because i don't have to worry about needing my lude for transportation (yay accord daily driver) and i spend hours cleaning random stuff. i would have moved my battery a little farther over if i were you... and if you plan on storing stuff in the trunk (especially anything metal) then you should get a battery box so nothing accidentally arcs against it.

#14 ·
#22 ·
That's not the best pic of her,poor girl was trying to help me as much as she could with little things here and there.She was tired and dirty and not looking her best.I'll post another pic of us not working on the car soon.

Nice job, what are your overall plans with the lude?
As of right now,my plans are to keep it simple.I want a daily driver with some pep but be able to pack a punch at the track(once every 3 months or so).So i plan to do forged pistons,cams,cam gear,a good tune and 75 shot of nitrous for the track only.

#24 ·
hay just woundering how u got ur air intake if u made it
I slapped it together.The tube is from some intercooler piping i had left over from my previous civic and the filter was bought at autozone for $14.99

#28 ·
I found another piece of pipe i had stored away,i cut it down and added it to my existing pipe.Check it out...

Before

AFTER

I just put it in today so it looks a little rough.I plan to weld it together and paint it blue(like the aem ones).Anyway,what do you guys think?

#30 ·
I see what you mean but i don't think it would effect it that much cause it's pretty much sitting on top of the sub frame and it's getting plenty of air from the opening below but still high enough to prevent sucking water.Thanks for your input Hondamonster, i'll try it if this way doesn't work out as planned.

#32 ·
wow, you made quick work of it. looks good so far.

my swap took me longer; but i did clean and polish some things too. did mine all by myself too, which sucks but it got done, otherwise i'd probably still be waiting on friends to come over and help...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.