Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

I am new to the prelude forums, but I have been lurking on these forums for about a year now. Any way, I have an issue with my car and I want to hear what you guys think of it. (THIS IS LONG, I KNOW)

About this time last year my brother noticed when he was driving my car occasionally (like once every few weeks/months) that the engine would randomly cut out while driving. I checked on here, apparently there was a recall on the ignition switch and they were deteriorating which causes the car to cut out while driving? Correct me if I am wrong, but I'm pretty sure that was what I read. It wasn't happening often so I left it, and it hadn't happened to me yet while driving so I didn't really care...

Any way, flash forward to November, my car started to have trouble starting. Put the key in, try turn it on, it would try and start but then cut out or take forever and finally start. Again, this didn't happen often, and would usually start straight away the second time.

Now in December I was driving and the CEL came on, pulled over, turned car off, turned it back on and it was gone. Thought nothing of it, but told my brother who use to be a mechanic apprentice and he said he would take it for a drive to see. Next day, the engine cuts out while he was driving, then the car wouldn't start straight away, on the second time trying it would turn on and the CEL came on. It did that 2 times that day.

Now its January (obviously) and I have finally taken it upon myself to figure out what is wrong (car has been sitting out the front of my house for a month cause I didn't want to use it with the issues, and had no WOF or rego). I found out what code was popping up, code 8 which is the TDC sensor. But I want to know what you guys think. I understand that the TDC sensor determines ignition timing at start up(cranking) and when the crank angle is abnormal. The manual that I am getting my info from shows how to trouble shoot that (but you need to know the extra code whether it is P1361, P1362 or P1359) which I will get one of my more mates to help me with... But is the TDC sensor the reason my car was cutting out originally while driving or should I still look into the ignition switch possibility?

Like I said, the car has had the original problem for awhile now which is why I am not to sure about whether or not they are the same issue. Before you tell me to search the forums for an answer, I have tried, but I keep getting mixed ideas, and for someone that is still learning about cars, its a bit overwhelming. I know this is a really long post, but I would rather throw as much details as I can at you guys, so you can tell me whether or not I am correct in my thoughts, and any ideas on how to help? Cause I am reaching the point where I will take it to Honda to get it fixed, but would prefer to do it myself as I'd rather learn than pass it off onto someone else.

(Only reason I am resorting to an online forum is I work nights and my car mates all work days, so its really hard to sort out a time with them to help me out haha)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your ckp/tdc is probably on its way out. The ECU wouldn't throw that code for no reason. It may see a signal out of range.
Did your car start like mine in this thread:
http://www.preludepower.com/forums/showthread.php?t=429025
I've done research on the TDC sensor problem. Car doesn't always have the issue which is why I am thinking it may only be wiring/loose connector somewhere. Sometimes it will start straight away, no issues, sometimes it takes trying again, always starts on the second time though.

Main issue would be the engine cutting out while driving, as that has been going on for a year now, the CEL and TDC sensor issue only started last month and hasn't been driven much since.

·
Opinionated Bastard
7,272 Posts
Ignition switch is typically described as a "sudden cut-out" while driving, so that could be a part of it. I'd check to see if your car has ever had the recall done. And, if not, start there and buy a replacement.

·
Registered
230 Posts
It's either the sensor or the wiring. If you haven't gone in and hacked around with the wiring in the past and everything is original then I would lean towards the sensor. You can test the sensor and wiring. To check the wiring, check for continuity between the sensor connector and the ECU. If that checks out then I would lean towards it being the sensor for sure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts