Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My alternator belt was half torn off when i checked under the hood the other day so i decided to change both my p/s and alternator belt, however when i loosen the nut that is supposed to loosen the pulley to loosen p/s pump belt the bolt backs out but the pulley doesn't move, i tried loosening and tightening it and trying to pry it back with a piece of wood but nothing works. any suggestions?

My alternator belt isn't going to last much longer. i know you can probably loosen the top bolt from the p/s pump and use the lower bolt as a pivot to push the p/s pump forward but i think adjusting tension would be hard to do when your putting the belt back on.

Thanks

·
Registered
411 Posts
did you loosen the nut on the pulley itself?

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
The power steering pump does not pivot. You loosen that belt by first loosening the tensioner pulley center bolt (yes hard to get to, racheting box wrench or long 14mm helpful here), then slide it inward by backing out the forward facing bolt on the bracket tucked down under the alternator tensioner bracket.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm in the process of doing a bunch of maintenance to my lude so I can snap a picture for you

First loosen the pulley bolt in circle 2 but don't remove it. Next turn the adjust bolt in circle 1 to move it along the bracket behind it.

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
I bought an extra long gearwrench gearbox double box end wrench 14mm from tooltopia also available from amazon. One end is fixed and the other ratcheting. There is a pic of it in my Oddball and large tool thread in the F.A.Q. Its about $21. The extra leverage realy helps out and the extra length makes it actualy easy to loosen with nothing in the way. I can't imagine trying to loosen that nut without now that I have that wrench. I use to fight with that damn nut. Now no problemo. It is straight and thin and the fixed end extends about a 1/4" on one side making it easier to get on the nut. Also while your at my oddball thread notice the pics that luzer posted showing how to use like an 18" extension and ratchet with universal joint to get on the ps adjustment bolt next to your headlight with the headlight up.

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
Well they raised the price a little:

http://www.tooltopia.com/gearwrench-85914.aspx

If you have amazon prime you can get it shipped free for $18.50

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/GearWrench-85914-GearBox-Ratcheting-Wrench/dp/B002MXQDNQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331170316&sr=8-1[/ame]

·
Registered
7 Posts
I backed out the adjustment bolt 1 all the way I think it popped out because I didn’t loosen # 2 frist time around. Any ideas if this is ok or busted now, I can’t seem to get it back in anymore

·
Registered
7 Posts
Threaded it back in loosened the pulley bolt and it all worked as shown. Freeing the pulley with a six point 14 mm worked where a 12 point was not

·
Registered
112 Posts
+1 on the extended box wrench. that nut provides shallow engagement since it's countersunk into the pulley. I made my mistake by rounding it off with other tools, and to the point where even the gearwrench couldn't get enough bolt head engagement. ended up having to remove the whole power steering assembly off to get a 6point socket on there directly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I custom made a 14mm six point with a socket and 3/4 wrench 12point. Hammering it in welding it a bit. Was able to set it up to fit in the recess in the pully and offset it a bit to get easier access.

·
Premium Member
9,144 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts