Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I believe I have a leak in my PS hose, but I'm not quite sure how to fix it and/or what part I would need. As seen in the picture, I've circled the area that I think is leaking.
Update: Now It's possible that the pump is leaking, not the pictured hose..but it's not conclusive.

Here is a link to the Majestic Honda page for PS Hoses - Pipes for reference.

As a secondary problem, the belts now have PS fluid all over them and now makes almost a hissing sound at idle. I'm pretty sure the noise is coming from the belts, or one of the belts, because you can kind of hear the noise with each rotation and the frequency increases with higher RPM. I'm hoping the belts won't need replacing?

Thanks for any help! (And yes I've tried searching, but wasn't able to find any relevant info.)

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update: thinking it could just the the PS pump leaking onto the belts and flinging fluid everywhere. Are there any fixes besides replacing (or deleting lol) the pump? Or should I just delete the pump haha

Side note...the resivouir is part conventional and part synthetic fluid. The valvoline synthetic bottle said it mixes with conventional, but could this stole cause issues such as my leak?

·
Administrator
6,891 Posts
You can delete the unit - but there's a chance that you won't be able to re-install if ever a need to.

I cannot remember if it's the power steering or the brake lines that require Honda fluid... check your owners manual to be sure but i think it's the PS fluid.

You will need new belts and either replace the seals in the unit or get a used/rebuilt unit. check the fs section for some partout threads. Or you can make a high pressure line and just go straight from the rack to the ps reservoir which would pretty much loop the lines without the pump included

There's a writeup on here about looping the lines, but like i said - you may not be able to return to normal if you do it.s

If my tools/parts come in this week so i can start pulling my motor - i intend to ditch p/s and will have my unit up for sale... but that may not be for another month or so.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Honda power steering systems will usually leak when using some sort of 'synthetic' fluid or additive.

Rinse everything with brake cleaner and run the car to find out exactly whats leaking, could be something small like one of the o-rings on the lines going to the pump.

·
Premium Member
3,935 Posts
Could be leaking from the PS top line where it connects to the pump. I had to disconnect the PS hose to take my VC off, the o-ring was only a months old at that point but when I reinstalled the hose it was leaking for the o-ring. Have you ever taken that hose off, you should probably replace that little o-ring every time you disconnect that hose. Seems a little much to me to replace it every time but I replaced it and it stopped leaking.

·
Registered
637 Posts
You need a new hose. That crimp is bad. Or u can chance it by welding it to seal it between the crimp. Just have fire extinguisher handy. lol. Always use Honda PS fluid. If u use something else u will get problem guaranteed. The same goes for their slush box(auto tranny). Honda PS use a hydraulic based oil, not ATF or brake fluid based like some other manufacturers. So if u use those then it will swell or eat up the seal and cause leaks.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Honda power steering systems will usually leak when using some sort of 'synthetic' fluid or additive.

Rinse everything with brake cleaner and run the car to find out exactly whats leaking, could be something small like one of the o-rings on the lines going to the pump.
Are you talking about the o-ring #22 in the diagram? (The link to majestic Honda diagram is in first post)

I haven't removed the hose before, but that could be a possibility...among many others. I really need to go clean everything up and find the source of the leak.

You mentioned brake cleaner, but is that safe to get everywhere including the belts? If not, I suppose I could use engine brite citrus cleaner that I have?

Thanks for the help so far everybody. I know for certain that I need Honda ps fluid, but I just need to find that damn leak.

·
Administrator
6,891 Posts
Just use a simple degreaser like spray 9 or a watered down purple power.

Both can be purchased at your local autoparts store - if you use purple power, water it down at least 50/50... it's strong stuff.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks. So my plan of action is to first flush and refill with Honda PS fluid. Then cross my fingers and hope that solves it. Then I'll clean up the mess from the leak and determine where the leak is coming from, if it's still leaking.

But how do you flush the power steering fluid? (<<ad, not my link) And how much fluid do I need for flushing and for filling the reservoir? I have this handy link that shows how to replace the fluid, but doesn't give a flushing procedure or quantity of fluid needed.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Take the lower return hose off the reservoir, not the one on the underside that feeds to the pump and put a hose that fits into that hose into a bucket, crank the engine, turn the wheel lock to lock like 7 times, put everything back together and refill. Capacity is like 1.8qts, 5 bottles should do it since they're 12oz but maybe having 1 extra to top off here and there wouldn't be a bad idea.

Makes it a little easier if you have a vacuum bleeder to suck down the reservoir first so you don't make a mess.

I'd still clean everything and find out what's leaking before flushing so you don't waste new fluid and brake cleaner is fine for that stuff, use it all the time.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quick update:
I replaced the old power steering fluid with Genuine Honda fluid two days ago and wiped down areas that were wet from the leak. I've driven probably a hundred miles since then and can't see any leaking so far. Getting rid of that synthetic/non-Honda fluid may have actually done the trick. I will update this in a few days if it leaks again! Thanks for all the help everyone.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I'm gonna bump this thread. I have a power steering fluid leak that seems to originate around the resivoir and an awful rattle clunky sound coming from, what sounds like, the power steering pump and/or it's belt. ive had the noise for a little bit but the leak was just noticed today. also have a moaning sound on full lock. thinking i need some new hoses, maybe new PS or delete it... idk.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Yeah Ive been rollin with the belt off and I'm totally used to it, once I get some time off work ill delet it and loop the hoses. Found a good write up on here.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bumping this thread as I'm a new user.... getting similar issues, found the leak on mine. It's toward the front of the pipe that has a circle around it in the photo at the top...but for reference...

https://nvlssg-sn3302.files.1drv.co...qe5Stmutug?width=605&height=454&cropmode=none

https://nvnrpq-sn3302.files.1drv.co...l0ZcRZPbeo?width=605&height=807&cropmode=none

Took the bolts off to have a look...couldn't see anything that looked bad. Bolted back together and when I turned it on I noticed there's a slight but consistent drip, about one drip every second, coming out of this connection.

Is there an o ring inside that? Seems difficult to pull apart to the point I'm not sure if it does.

Any help would be appreciated :)

Also those files open as a paint file. One drive won't let me embed them -_-

·
Registered
241 Posts
Bumping this thread as I'm a new user.... getting similar issues, found the leak on mine. It's toward the front of the pipe that has a circle around it in the photo at the top...but for reference...

https://nvlssg-sn3302.files.1drv.co...qe5Stmutug?width=605&height=454&cropmode=none

https://nvnrpq-sn3302.files.1drv.co...l0ZcRZPbeo?width=605&height=807&cropmode=none

Took the bolts off to have a look...couldn't see anything that looked bad. Bolted back together and when I turned it on I noticed there's a slight but consistent drip, about one drip every second, coming out of this connection.

Is there an o ring inside that? Seems difficult to pull apart to the point I'm not sure if it does.

Any help would be appreciated :)

Also those files open as a paint file. One drive won't let me embed them -_-
The hose itself does not come apart. There is an o-ring on the end where it goes into the top of the pump but that is it. If it is leaking from that connection I'd say your best bet is to buy a new hose (if you want to keep power steering) but they're expensive. Otherwise you could try tinning the seam shut with some solder or even JB weld maybe as a temporary fix.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The hose itself does not come apart. There is an o-ring on the end where it goes into the top of the pump but that is it. If it is leaking from that connection I'd say your best bet is to buy a new hose (if you want to keep power steering) but they're expensive. Otherwise you could try tinning the seam shut with some solder or even JB weld maybe as a temporary fix.
Yeah right, thanks. I might try to find this part online...if not, my mate is a welder, can try him to weld it shut.

If all fails...my mechanic is 15 mins away so will have to fill it up first to get it to him.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts