Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive just pulled my engine and i was reading a thread about rambos car and i noticed she took off her power steering among other things what would this do far as h.p and what to do with the rack do i just plug it up or what any info would be great

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
You will gain just a little in HP by removing the pulley from the motor. One less power drain.

As for the rack, pack it with greese and plug it up os that way your seals will not rot.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I haven't heard why Ramob decided to do it, but I've also considered this. I'm not doing it though. First of all have you ever driven a car with no PS? Not fun with sub-5mph manuvers, parking and such. I owned a car with no PS for a few months, not hard, just a PITA.

I plan to get a 240sx and drift it and I'm going to remove it, but that is for a few reasons. 1: I will be a budget racer and non-sponsered, so less parts to break means less repairs. 2: Less weight (not much, but it is a pro) 3: Less complexity/clutter in the engine bay 4: Small power boost from a reduction in parasitic drag on the engine.

My lude is my daily driver and will remain this way. I'm keeping PS.

·
Premium Member
9,140 Posts
^^He nailed it. I would advise you to keep it if your lude is a daily driver. I drove mine without ps for about a week. It was fine as long as you are moving, but parking was sometimes a real pain in the ass.

The gains would be minimal, but it would definitely clean up the engine bay.

·
Registered
281 Posts
So, I'm not unfamiliar with removing PS. I have done this to both of my RX7s and a couple Neons even, but on a FWD car with 4WS......why in the hell would you do this? I can't imagine feeling all four wheels on the road through my steering wheel. And yes, I know Neons are FWD.

I'm assuming that your prelude does have the 4WS. Just a question I had.....

Depowered 4 wheel steering? I just don't get it.

·
Premium Member
9,140 Posts
So, I'm not unfamiliar with removing PS. I have done this to both of my RX7s and a couple Neons even, but on a FWD car with 4WS......why in the hell would you do this? I can't imagine feeling all four wheels on the road through my steering wheel. And yes, I know Neons are FWD.

Who are you asking this question to? The reason I went without it is because my ps pump died and I had to drive for about a week without ps it until my new pump came in. There is no way I would remove my ps on purpose, lol.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts

Not all Preludes have 4ws :smilejap:

edit: oh yeah, welcome to pp.com

·
Memento Mori
7,515 Posts
Speaking from a practicality standpoint:

Even on a stock lightweight Civic HB that comes without PS from the factory and has a proper manual rack... it SUCKS. It doesn't make any sense to do it on a street car, at high speeds above 30 mph the factory system doesn't provide assist anyways, and at low speeds having no PS reduces your ability to quickly maneuver the car. (This can be a safety issue if you need to suddenly and quickly steer around an obstacle.)

I raced a super stripped out 2G lude without PS, and at low speed tight corners it really sucked. Didn't even really add any more "feel" if you ask me, once your arms get worn out from fighting the steering all the time any extra feel is worthless anyways.

There have been plenty pure race cars throughout the years that have had PS added because the manual steering was fatiguing the driver so much.

That's my take on it, leave it on unless it's just a race car.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have to say that on my RX7s and my girlfriend's 91 MR2, I prefer it without power steering. IMO, RWD cars don't need power steering. (It's all in the rack's gear ratio) But in a FWD car, I have to say that I much prefer having power steering. Especially in the Prelude with 4WS. It makes me feel like I'm in my old hopped up go kart. xD

Not all Preludes have 4ws :smilejap:
I'm aware of that. My buddy has an 88 S as I have the 88 Si.
And thanks for the welcome.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts