Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so as some of you no i just bought my prelude 4 weeks ago for 300$ so with that price came some problems the one im about to adress now is the power steering. The guy i bought it of took it out , one i dont no if my car will pass inspection with out it(89 prelude si), two i have to admit its getn kind of annoying parking it and etc. So i list what remains from the old power steering system

*old*
Power steering reservoir(yup thats all that remains)
*what i just bought*
Power steering pump(has that little belt thingy)
power steering hose( i dont think its a high pressure hose being that theres no clamps on the ends or anything its just a hose)
*what i need*
Im totally clueless when it comes to this any other experienced lude owners PLEASE HELP thank you all

·
Premium Member
9,128 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It all depends on what was removed by the previous owner. There are dozens of parts in the power steering system. I would start by looking in the online manual to see what the major parts are...
http://media.honda.co.uk/car/owner/media/manuals/PreludeManual/62sf100/11-4.pdf

Then I would look here to make sure I had all the hoses that are needed...
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com....0SI&catcgry4=KA5MT&catcgry5=P.S.+HOSES-PIPES
oh gosh i hope its not everything on the honda automotive parts website :-(

·
Premium Member
9,128 Posts
Chances are good that since he didn't remove the reservoir, he most likely left most of the other parts on also. I really wonder why people do the ps delete in the first place, but it's their car. It just sucks for the person who may buy their car in the future, as you've discovered. Good luck with your car.:cool:

·
Registered
99 Posts
What did he put in place of the power steering? Is it a steering box? or is it a 'rack' (I don't know) How has it been moving, with out any fluid in it? You might need to replace it too...

If he took off the pump, there was either a problem with the lines leaking, or the rack is leaking. You won't be able to tell any of that till you get it all back together.

The high pressure hose is the one that bolts on the front of the P/S pump.

Side note: 'belt thingy' is a pulley :top:
U ever work on a car? Just wondering, and it will help with future follow up's.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chances are good that since he didn't remove the reservoir, he most likely left most of the other parts on also. I really wonder why people do the ps delete in the first place, but it's their car. It just sucks for the person who may buy their car in the future, as you've discovered. Good luck with your car.:cool:
yea man it does suck do you think i just wasted money buying that edelmann power steering hose???? And thanks its needed i still gotta fix the speedometer

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What did he put in place of the power steering? Is it a steering box? or is it a 'rack' (I don't know) How has it been moving, with out any fluid in it? You might need to replace it too...

If he took off the pump, there was either a problem with the lines leaking, or the rack is leaking. You won't be able to tell any of that till you get it all back together.

well i was thinking he took it off to race with it. but umm yea it drives nice there is a squeakn noise when turning the wheel at low speeds though and thanks had no clue what it was called and umm yea just nothing like this i just have did the basics like battery changes, sprak plugs and brakes nothing all technical i do plan on going to school for it o and im pretty sure the resovoir is straight empty lol

·
Premium Member
9,128 Posts
Your best bet may be to try to get help with it. Do you have any friends who wouldn't mind helping you out in exchange for beer or something like that. If you weren't all the way across the country I'd be happy to help you out. I know there are other members here in PA. Maybe one of them wouldn't mind helping out a fellow member.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your best bet may be to try to get help with it. Do you have any friends who wouldn't mind helping you out in exchange for beer or something like that. If you weren't all the way across the country I'd be happy to help you out. I know there are other members here in PA. Maybe one of them wouldn't mind helping out a fellow member.
yea a couple friends but i dont think they have experience with preludes, but if you could ask them for me that be great and thank you for wanting to help me

·
Premium Member
9,128 Posts
Lol, perhaps you misunderstood. I didn't mean I know them personally. :hehe: What I meant was that I am aware that some forum members are from your area. You'll have to do the asking though. Maybe start a thread asking for help from people in your area? It would be nice if there was some kind of database that we could keep with members locations.

C

·
0 Posts
I would suggest looking in the "Prelude Meets" section. Maybe post in there and makes some friends. That might be a good start.

Good luck with it!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well the actual pump just arrived in the mail so im pretty sure all i need now is two more hoses the high pressure one and i have no clue what the other one is i guess like a return line or somthen im gonna do more reasearch so i dont keep sounding like and idiot but just to give you guys a little more insight with me so maybe i wont were ur patience down as much but im a 16 yr senior in highschool ive always loved cars just never had anyone to teach me the technical things had to learn what i no by trial and error my 3rd gen prelude is my first car and i plan on going to UTI

·
Registered
375 Posts

yea... the power steering rack works just like a manual rack when the pump is removed. No need to replace it with a gear box or other steering rack.

However, you do make a good point that the rack that is in there will probably leak if it's re-connected to fluid. Since all the seals have been dry for as long as the car has been driven like this, there's a good chance it's gonna leak in one place or another.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts