Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ugh my cars been squeeking for about a week in the cold (figured it was the alternator belt being loose)

So I checked it out today to tighten it..

The nut fell off the, I guess, idler pulley on hte PS pump belt...

The pulley is just sitting in there crooked with no nut :icon_frown:

Question is, the PS pump belt ONLY controls the PS pump right? Well my ps line is broke and I haven't ran fluid in my ps pump for like 6 months..
Can I just remove the belt and leave it like that until I fix the pulley and the ps system?]

edit: basically what im asking is, since I dont run PS fluid, would it be fine to drive my car without the belt (like would it be BETTER on the ps system to not have a belt, then to have a belt with no fluid)

And also, anyone off the top of their head know the threading on the tensoner nut?

·
Registered
567 Posts
No it's ok. If my memory serves me the p/s belt only goes around the p/s and the crank right? If so your fine. If I'm wrong and it goes around the a/c too than just get a longer belt. Don't run with the p/s rack dry, it's made to be lubricated and the fluid also works kinda like hydrolics so don't empty the rack.

·
Memento Mori
7,515 Posts
The P/S belt is only for the P/S and if you don't have any fluid in the system you don't want the P/S belt on anyways. Just take it off along with the idler pulley (Since the nut fell off anyways.).

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Since you have not ran any fluid in your p/s rack, I hope the seals are ok. They can dry rot fast or slow depending on where you live. I have no clue as to where you live so I have no idea as to what condition your p/s rack is. Even If I knew where you live, still not enough without putting it up on car stands and sliding under there and taking a look.

If you live in a really dry area, your seals probably will not last long without fluid. You don't want that rubber getting brittle and brake on you. hahahaha!!! Oops that sounded like what happen when I was 21....9 months later...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts