Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’ve been driving my prelude for a few months now and I’ve noticed that it’s faster then my girlfriends prelude. I have a 97 and she has a 98, but I feel a huge power difference. Her engine is a black top but mines a red? But as far as I know red tops were mostly in the faster models. Would it be possible to put a type S or type SiR in a base? Even my engine serials say it’s a type S but my vin says base. How do I tell I’m not just tripping.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I know this is a hella noob question but I’m just confused from the power difference. I just wanted to ask people who know them just assuming.

·
Administrator
6,611 Posts
Valve covers can be easily swapped out, not a good point of reference.

But you're saying the engine code on the front of the block does not state H22A4?

I'm pretty sure Type S motors can be swapped into an SH since they are ATTS equipped and SiR can be swapped into a Base since they use a basic transmission with LSD. So it's possible you have an H22a swap from an SiR Accord/Prelude or even a Prelude Si.

You've already cross checked the VIN on the block to the VIN on the car and verified its origin?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Valve covers can be easily swapped out, not a good point of reference.

But you're saying the engine code on the front of the block does not state H22A4?

I'm pretty sure Type S motors can be swapped into an SH since they are ATTS equipped and SiR can be swapped into a Base since they use a basic transmission with LSD. So it's possible you have an H22a swap from an SiR Accord/Prelude or even a Prelude Si.

You've already cross checked the VIN on the block to the VIN on the car and verified its origin?
Yea the block vin and the engine vin are different cause I did wanna see which h22 I had for parts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts