Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
I Miss My BB2 :'(
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i found a great link on how to DIY port and polish.

http://www.angelfire.com/space/neon/porting.html

im wanting to do this but i dont want to do anything over the top. i just want to gain a few more horses and get better air flow. any ideas? i was thinking of opening up the end of the runners a little.

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
nothing can even be derived from that link. it's all in relation to specific measurements of the neon manifold.

the only thing about that entire writeup that can be used on our cars as well, is opening the ends of the runners up a bit to create a larger inlet size at the plenum end, and then properly and smoothly tapering it down back to the stock runner size. it has to be an even transition though or it will actually hurt performance.

besides that, the only things that need to be re-worked in our cars is street porting; which is simply smoothing out all casting flaws, and then smoothing the runners. keeping everything the same size, not enlarging anything except the inlet of the runners at the plenum end.
then port matching, not gasket matching.
gasket matching the head and manifold surfaces will hurt power, it will put a giant bulge in the runners which will destroy the pulses and velocity of the intake charge.

·
I Miss My BB2 :'(
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so how can i gain a little more power and get better airflow?

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
nothing can even be derived from that link. it's all in relation to specific measurements of the neon manifold.

the only thing about that entire writeup that can be used on our cars as well, is opening the ends of the runners up a bit to create a larger inlet size at the plenum end, and then properly and smoothly tapering it down back to the stock runner size. it has to be an even transition though or it will actually hurt performance.

besides that, the only things that need to be re-worked in our cars is street porting; which is simply smoothing out all casting flaws, and then smoothing the runners. keeping everything the same size, not enlarging anything except the inlet of the runners at the plenum end.
gasket matching the head and manifold surfaces will hurt power, it will put a giant bulge in the runners which will destroy the pulses and velocity of the intake charge.
Wisest thing I heard all day! If you want to get some real HP from a port and polish you need a FLOWBENCH.A micrometer would probably be a good start LOL! If you just start hacking and grinding you could do more damage than good. The people who do port and polish work, are experienced professionals, and it is a science!
Next don't use JB weld for anything! Unless it is unavoidable or an emergency! PPL use JB for the dumbest, and most dangerous things.

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
so how can i gain a little more power and get better airflow?
i already said it above...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts