Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ya i have an 89 prelude S and whenever i turn i hear a popping noise. at first it was only when i turned right but now its whenever i turn period. especially in warm weather. i think its my joints or something like that but im not sure. any ideas?

·
Premium Member
1,717 Posts
its probably CV joints. You probably need to replace at least the passenger side if not both. Look under the car. If you see a tear in the boot there is your problem. Tears usualy happen between the rings of the boot. If its torn then all the grease flew out and now you have a dry popping CV joint. The only fix is to replace/rebuild it. You can have it done for around $100 per side or you can do it yourslef if you have the tools. I spent $50 for a reman half axle the last time I had to replace one.

·
穏やかな旅行&#
4,713 Posts
Yup... most likely it's an outter CV joint going bad. Once you start hearing them pop, it's only a matter of days before it breaks on you completely and you can't move the car :emthup:

·
Registered
739 Posts
Question on which side it is.. My friend said whatever direction you turn it pops, is the side the cv axle is bad..

My car pops the most on left hand turns, and on a lil on right turns.. Yet it sounds like its coming from the front right

Thinking of just ordering both cv axles and doing both =\

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
yes, replacing both is in your best interest. Remember that when you buy them they are remanufactured. If the popping proceeds then bring them back.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Kalm_Traveler said:
Yup... most likely it's an outter CV joint going bad. Once you start hearing them pop, it's only a matter of days before it breaks on you completely and you can't move the car :emthup:

Not true. My axles have been clicking for about 6 months and mine havent broke.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts