Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there!
I own a 1989 prelude si and I got it painted just yesterday, everything seemed great until tonight when I found out my headlights no longer pop up... The back story is that they've always worked before, I had them up to tape the trim on the edge yesterday. The lights themselves still turn on. Any ideas? Haven't really played around with too much as I was hoping to baby the paint for a bit. Seems like as soon as one problem is fixed another one occurs, if it was any other car I'd probably have sold it by now ...but I can't get mad at a 3rd gen, they are just so innocent

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
I think something similar has been documented on here before, but can't remember who it was or what the outcome.

If it was me, I might start by checking the fuses in the under hood fuse box, and if those are good, testing the switch on the dashboard, even though that seems unrelated to the work you did yesterday.

Edit: Remember if you need a temporary fix you can dial up the lights with the knobs on the sides. This will only work with the motor fuses pulled. If everything was functioning correctly the motors would physically fight you as you try to turn the knobs. Great fun.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Hey there!
I own a 1989 prelude si and I got it painted just yesterday, everything seemed great until tonight when I found out my headlights no longer pop up... The back story is that they've always worked before, I had them up to tape the trim on the edge yesterday. The lights themselves still turn on. Any ideas? Haven't really played around with too much as I was hoping to baby the paint for a bit. Seems like as soon as one problem is fixed another one occurs, if it was any other car I'd probably have sold it by now ...but I can't get mad at a 3rd gen, they are just so innocent
There's lots of information in this thread about how the headlights work and links to relevant pages; post number 12 by 'ilya kon' mentions that he had the same problem as you and how he fixed it.
http://www.preludepower.com/forums/showthread.php?t=416169&highlight=

The wiring diagramme for the headlight retractor circuit is in the shop manual on page 16-121
http://media.honda.co.uk/car/owner/media/manuals/PreludeManual/62sf100/16-119.pdf

First checks as Andrew said; in the under hood fuse/relay box:
Fuse #29 (15 Amp) Right headlamp retractor motor
Fuse #30 (15 Amp) Left headlamp retractor motor and retractable headlamp control unit.

If the fuses are okay,
Do the headlamps raise when you operate the dashboard 'headlight retractor switch' ?

Let us know what you find, if the above doesn't work we'll try and help you some more.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts