Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently had a knocking wrist pin in cylinder 1 in my h23a1... i let that go on for maybe three days before i parked the car and started putting in my other h23 i had sitting in it. Now is that engine completely useless? I read some, please excuse me im fairly new to all of this engine stuff... lol but they said my motor is now "scrap metal" lol soo im wondering if the whole block is junk now or what? Note the knock was barely present at idle but was slowly getting worse. lol :dontgetit:

·
Registered
307 Posts
sounds like maybe it was rod knock ive never seen a bad wrist pin on an h motor .. you reall cant tell how bad the damage is until you pull it apart and inspect the bearings .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Havent done that yet I did the typical pull a plug wire and if the knock goes away its a wrist pin and thats what it did.. idk i was just wanting someones input on it who knows more about these cars than me lol

·
4U3 PRELUDE
876 Posts
Your wrist pin is not knocking.

Well I mean it could be doing something wacky? Are h23's free floating wrist pins, semi free floating, or pressed in?

I believe they are pressed. So they should not just slide out.

If they were free floating you could have a wrist pin lock come loose and maybe you could get what seemed like a knock.

But its for sure rod knock mister. :D

·
Registered
851 Posts
Only if you have a video to show. I will be able to tell you if it's a wrist pin noise or not. My shop just diagnosed a Mitsu Lancer OZ engine with a bad wrist pin. The cyl wall has been scraped and same goes with the piston skirt. What we did was honed the cyl wall and replaced the piston, rings, and rods.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Only if you have a video to show. I will be able to tell you if it's a wrist pin noise or not. My shop just diagnosed a Mitsu Lancer OZ engine with a bad wrist pin. The cyl wall has been scraped and same goes with the piston skirt. What we did was honed the cyl wall and replaced the piston, rings, and rods.
i dont have a video ill just have to tear down the other block and see what i can find i guess lol thanks for the input

1 - 7 of 7 Posts