Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my premier head unit and a jensen 400 w 4 channel with 1 set of infinity references in front. I had the positives from both and negatives hooked together and then bridged on the amp. when i turn the gain up and set treble and mid until it sounds good and loud it cuts off and goes into protect. I switched grounds,rcas,speaker wires and even the speakers it still does it. someone told me that i might need to ground my head unit actually putting a ground wire to it like on the amp.
I switched to a 2 channel amp this morning and wired it all up it was way cleaner just had staic and poppin noises coming through speaks so i changed rcas and ground location and still done it. is there anything i need to check be4 i buy a new amp? Like i said previously i was told by world hifi that i need to physically ground the head unit to the frame, is that true? any help will be gladly appreciated sorry for the rushing of answerd i am at work and about to go on break and wann try and tackle it be4 i get off and head to florida. thanks
-james

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Jensen amps put out lik 1/10th their rates peak power as RMS, so that amp is probably only putting out 40wrms. That's why you can't crank the volume.

The other amp, who knows, it's probably faulty.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Did you wire the head unit yourself? If you use the stock car wiring the grounds are actually decent, so I would be surprised if you are getting noise. You could try installing a noise filter on the power line, but it does not sound like you have that type of noise problem. This is gonna sound kind of crazy, but I found that both of my pioneer head units had noise problems when hooked up to amplifiers. I had to fix my most recent one 2 times at a service center. It kept blowing its internal rca output stage and I suspect there was probably an impedance matching problem causing it to overload. I won't buy another pioneer to this day, even though the deck did a lot of cool things.

How old are these Jensen amps? I'd be surprised if they are really that noisy, but wouldn't be surprised that they aren't getting high output levels.

Can you describe in more detail when and how these noises happen? There could be a wiring problem with your amp from the sound of things.

·
Registered
65 Posts
You have lowered your ohms by hooking the positive and negatives up. (Parallel). You have lowered the impedance from 4 ohms to 2 ohms. One....the amp is probably not 2 ohm stable in stereo mode..2...it is most defenitly not 2ohm stable in bridged mode. Good way to fry your speakers and amp.

·
Registered
131 Posts
^^^ he is right when you briged the amp you doubled the power and your speakers cant handle that much and the amp knows that so it goes into safe mode to protect your speakers. and as for the poping noises that is due to a bad connection and or a indecent ground as mentioned before

·
Registered
45 Posts
by putting the speakers in parallel you made it 2 ohms and when you bridge and amp it sees half the resistance therefore your amp was runnning and 1 ohm, no jensen in this world can handle that, im sure it got quite warm before it shut off and your thd had to be extrememly high. and as dj mittens said your other amp was probably faulty.

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
whats a dangerous temp for most amps? mine read 128 the other day and I was wonderin if that's bad...

also, what happened to the car audio forum?

edit- im on crack, nevermind that

1 - 7 of 7 Posts