Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new on here peeps,Was curious if anyone could help me out. I recently bought a 98 base with megan header,teat pipe and exhaust. Has a full tune-up including aem fuel filter.MSD cap,rotor,and wires,NGK plugs. The prob is when i am taking off after warm up the car kind struggles like there is restriction.It also does it a little at speeds around 50-70. I removed the EGR and cleaned it, put it back on and still the same. I simply unplugged it and the problem stopped. Would it be the actual EGR or the ports?

·
Registered
7,106 Posts
Is the CEL on?
Posted via Mobile

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
You know putting foulers things on the O2 plugs doesnt fix the problem. It only tricks the car into thinking that its running within spec... Its still running rich its just that your car thinks its not... The better question is why is it running so rich that your car is complaining?

Change the O2 sensor. Just my $.02

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You know putting foulers things on the O2 plugs doesnt fix the problem. It only tricks the car into thinking that its running within spec... Its still running rich its just that your car thinks its not... The better question is why is it running so rich that your car is complaining?

Change the O2 sensor. Just my $.02
Thanks but why would the slugging stop after unplugging the EGR? Just asking. This prob is driving me crazy!

·
Registered
7,106 Posts
You might have a bad EGR? Removing the code won't do anything. It will come back after a few driving cycles if there's a problem.
Posted via Mobile

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
I noticed you said you cleaned the egr. Did you clean the egr valve and ports?
Posted via Mobile

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I noticed you said you cleaned the egr. Did you clean the egr valve and ports?
Posted via Mobile
I cleaned the valve it self yes,the ports,no. That's what i was asking. Is it the valve or that the ports need cleaning? Gonna pull a o2 sensor from work tomorrow and try that first. I work at a salvage yard so that helps when trouble shooting:)

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Yeah the ports should be cleaned as well.
Posted via Mobile

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
problem solved!!!

I would bet its the egr ports-had this happen to me---clean the ports and boom works great
OK i found my prob and figured i would share in case someone else needs help. I was throwing p0133 code and had a hesitation in low speeds and cruising speeds. Replaced the main(primary) o2 sensor and the hesitation stopped....Two key cycles later and freakin CEL again. Same code. So then i started thinking about those non foulers i installed. I put them on the primary o2 and they should be on the secondary for completely diff code. Therefore the primary was lifted out of the range of the exhaust gas resulting in a slow response code. I removed the non foulers then installed on the secondary. Bought a scanner off our local tool truck and cleared it all out. Problem is gone and runs like a top! So if would have just replaced the damn sensor in the first place would have been alot easier and less frustrating. Thanks for everyones help.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts