2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Playludesc's Supercharger Build

1999 CBM Honda Prelude Base SportShift 113,000 miles

Induction/Exhaust:
Insys Short Ram Cool-Air Intake with Amsoil EaAU6080 Filter and Velocity Stack
70mm OmniPower Throttle Body
Rosko Racing Heat Insulating TB Gasket
Endyn Modified Jackson Racing Supercharger @ 9psi (Eaton M62)
Custom Heat Insulating Blower-to-Plenum Gasket
JRSC Plenum with Webbing Removed
Custom Heat Insulating Plenum-to-IM Gasket
Custom Modified H22 Intake Manifold
Rosko Racing Heat Insulating IM-to-Head Gasket
DEI Titanium/Volcanic Rock Header Wrap
Modified Sickspeed Catchcan

Fuel Delivery:
Walbro 255 lph Fuel Pump
AEM Fuel Rail
AEM Fuel Pressure Regulator
Injector Dynamics 1000cc Injectors

Electronic Tuning:
Neptune RTP in P06 with VTEC and PWM Boost Components Installed
eBay OBD1-OBD2 Conversion Harness
AEM UEGO Wideband O2 Meter

Drive Train:
JDM M2B4 Transmission with LSD
  • Rywire Hydraulic Clutch Line
  • 5-Speed Tachometer
  • Custom d20 Shift Knob
  • Everything Else You'd Expect in a 5-Spd Swap

Suspension and Similar
Custom 6-Point Rollcage
Custom Upper Rear Strut Bar with Adjustable Preload
Hawk HPS Brake Pads Fronts and Rears
Energy Suspension Front Motor Mount Insert

Weight Reduction:
Interior Fully Stripped Excepting Dash and Floor Insulation
Resonator Box and Vacuum Control Box

Creature Comforts:
Sparco Seats with Custom, Very Low Seat Brackets
Pioneer DEH-2200UB Headunit
Clarion EQS746 Half-DIN Graphic Equalizer
Audiopipe APSM4050 1000w (320rms) Mini Amplifier
Infinity Kappa 60.9cs Front Components
Infinity Kappa 693.9i Rear 6x9s

Items to be purchased/installed over the next couple of months/years:
Cold Ram Air Intake, Custom Pressure Box and Intake Trumpet
Koni Yellow + Eibach Spring Coilovers
Aquamist HFS2v3 Meth/Water Injection
Mishimoto Radiator and Slim Fans
Innovative Traction Bar with Custom Torque Damper for Front Mount
Custom Short Primary 4-1 Header
4" Oval Custom Exhaust with Electric Exhaust Cutout
Innovative Motor Mounts @ 75a or 85a
17x8 Wheels with 235/40/17 Nitto NT05s
VitViper Boost-by-Gear Bypass Valve
Pulley Boys 2.95" Focus SVT Snout Pulley
VIS Replica Mugen Kit (bumper, sides skirts, rear valences)
CF Hood, Trunk, Fenders and Mugen Wing
Done

"Lilly"

Sparco seats, 6-point roll cage, rear strut bar.

The full kit from Geramy and my EMU.

Detail of milled snout for smaller snout pulley.

The modified intake manifold and JRSC plenum.

Detail of pulley bracket, show additional pulley to fight belt slip. It's missing one at the bottom, but Geramy is correcting that; because he's awesome.

Boomslang PnP harness. Build quality is immaculate.

Fuel delivery: ID1000B with PnP adapters, AEM Fuel Rail, AEM Fuel Pressure Regulator.

Omni 70mm TB.

Rosko's heat insulating gaskets.

AEM Wideband O2 Sensor.

Modified Sickspeed Catchcan

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Nice to see a build thread, now lets see the install. Just a note, I had a Boomslang harness rub through the insulation and ground the MAP and TPS, so make sure it doesn't rub on anything, or double wrap it with tape or such.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
You should look into the JS Ignition Safdeguard system. These things are really kick ass when running higher comrpession and boost as they allow far superior control over detonation.

http://www.jandssafeguard.com/

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
just because you have e85...that doesnt mean the stock pistons are bullet proof...the ring lands on the stock style pistons are weak...alot of time even with e85 there caped at around 300tq...depending on turbo/supercharged/nitrous you can hit that quickly...i know my ring lands were weak from many pulls at around 275tq and pushing it too 310tq damaged them quickly on e85...

the fastest superchared lude...i have seen was around high 12's

the set-up looks great and i wish ya luck on the build

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
just because you have e85...that doesnt mean the stock pistons are bullet proof...the ring lands on the stock style pistons are weak...alot of time even with e85 there caped at around 300tq...depending on turbo/supercharged/nitrous you can hit that quickly...i know my ring lands were weak from many pulls at around 275tq and pushing it too 310tq damaged them quickly on e85...

the fastest superchared lude...i have seen was around high 12's

the set-up looks great and i wish ya luck on the build
Thanks for the info on the pistons, it's very good to know. In Stage 1 my crank torque shouldn't be that high. If I have to, I'll use an e85/Premium blend or run the e85 lean to lower power. With some weight reduction and slicks, she'll hit 12s at Stage 1 and 11s at Stage 2, God willing.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice to see a build thread, now lets see the install. Just a note, I had a Boomslang harness rub through the insulation and ground the MAP and TPS, so make sure it doesn't rub on anything, or double wrap it with tape or such.
Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
untill you swap that car too a manual...i dont see any records being set....the auto's kill theese cars...maybe if you get a stall in it some way? and the tranny isnt going too be very durable at your power level its going too slip quickly

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I like the FartTube filter.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
untill you swap that car too a manual...i dont see any records being set....the auto's kill theese cars...maybe if you get a stall in it some way? and the tranny isnt going too be very durable at your power level its going too slip quickly
You're probably right. I signed up for the group buy for the Albins gears last night, so I'll probably end up putting those in with manual when the SS goes. I just hope I'm still employed when Albins wants me to pay the second half :pokerface:

Shit is expensive.

But I'd rather be a little more in debt now than have no good options for a transmission when my DD is making 400+ whp.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I like the FartTube filter.
Thanks, there's a panel filter for a Caterpillar tractor that flows enough CFM, but it's 2ft square. This one is 15"x10"x8", so I think I can cram it in there somehow with a custom air box and a shaker-style hood scoop.

·
NOMnomNOM
3,270 Posts
not to sound like a dick, because honestly i think this is awesome and i want to follow it.. besides, any JRSC prelude build grabs my attention, but you are telling me that after all this time and money you spent (you are already in as deep or deeper into the money pit as i am) you should be wanting to make way over 325. like you said, and like my tuner said, he said if i ran e85 i would be around 330, if thats all you want, i would honestly rethink some of the stuff you are buying. saying your car will breathe and this and that better might be true (granted i do have the highest rated intake for the car) but you wont be seeing any. i hope you at least make good tq. for almost the cost of your build, i can get my stroker h22 and be at almost 400 with just pump gas, easily over 400 with e85.

i dont want to discourage you or anything, it just seems a little overkill thats all, especially given that that JRSC kit can handle much more. if thats the case, want to trade? because i paid 900 bucks for my entire kit, lol. id love the modified one to use to its full potential on my 2.49 L h22

plus with that auto tranny, subtract at least 20 whp that will be lost (unless you already figured that in, if so thats a little better) lol

and lastly, the one thing you said that DID actually bother me, was saying you will have a better tune, but honestly i went to one of the best tuners in the business, and he got more out of my car than i or anyone expected for the money that i put into it.. and that was with a crappy intake slipping belt and a clutch that would slip every other pull.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
not to sound like a dick, because honestly i think this is awesome and i want to follow it.. besides, any JRSC prelude build grabs my attention, but you are telling me that after all this time and money you spent (you are already in as deep or deeper into the money pit as i am) you should be wanting to make way over 325. like you said, and like my tuner said, he said if i ran e85 i would be around 330, if thats all you want, i would honestly rethink some of the stuff you are buying. saying your car will breathe and this and that better might be true (granted i do have the highest rated intake for the car) but you wont be seeing any. i hope you at least make good tq. for almost the cost of your build, i can get my stroker h22 and be at almost 400 with just pump gas, easily over 400 with e85.

i dont want to discourage you or anything, it just seems a little overkill thats all, especially given that that JRSC kit can handle much more. if thats the case, want to trade? because i paid 900 bucks for my entire kit, lol. id love the modified one to use to its full potential on my 2.49 L h22

plus with that auto tranny, subtract at least 20 whp that will be lost (unless you already figured that in, if so thats a little better) lol

and lastly, the one thing you said that DID actually bother me, was saying you will have a better tune, but honestly i went to one of the best tuners in the business, and he got more out of my car than i or anyone expected for the money that i put into it.. and that was with a crappy intake slipping belt and a clutch that would slip every other pull.
I just hate turbos : /

From what I understand getting into the 300+ club is pretty rare with a JRSC. Maybe you found better deals on your parts, but this stuff is necessary for e85. The 325 is really rough, but it should be more than possible with this setup. No one has done this with e85 with our cars (except Geramy, who had much lower compression), so I really can't predict exactly (see sig).

The reason I'm consciously stopping myself at 325 (in Stage 1) is because the stock pistons won't handle anything more. The ringlands are way too weak. Once I have the Mahles and the Crower rods, I'll turn up the boost and I should make it into the 400+whp zone.

Regarding the tune thing, I mean no offense when I say my tune will be better, but it's true. I'll be able to spend solid weeks on my tune, tweaking everything, experimenting, spending hours a night, literally dozens, maybe hundreds of pulls until it's perfect. I don't doubt that your tuner is one of the best around--and he sure as hell did a better job than I'll be able to in three/four hours--but because I'll have as much time as I need to get it perfect, it will eventually result in a better tune. Imagine fixing the belts the clutch and giving it to Evans Tuning to tune for a solid month and then imagine the tune you would have.

Stages 2 and 3 I simply don't have the money for yet, but when I do, that's when you'll see the bigger numbers I want.

Also, I don't mean any offense in the comparisons I've made to your build. There have just been a lot of doubters along the way saying that even 300whp with a JRSC is ridiculously high number. I just wanted to display what you had done, the numbers you've made, and contrast them with what I plan to do.

Lastly, why aren't you running e85? You've got the injector size for it and you could get rid of the meth injection.

·
NOMnomNOM
3,270 Posts
i completely understand. that makes a bit more sense. and im not taking offence to anything, i dont think you meant it that way, i just wanted to point it out. honestly, i never even intended to make much over 250. i was pretty happy to make it to 276. the reason i am not running e85, is simply because of the lack of readily available e85 stations. we have some, one in a decent spot, but i drive my car allot, and it would make my car less driveabe. i plan to go e85 when the stations get more available.

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
Regarding the tune thing, I mean no offense when I say my tune will be better, but it's true. I'll be able to spend solid weeks on my tune, tweaking everything, experimenting, spending hours a night, literally dozens, maybe hundreds of pulls until it's perfect. I don't doubt that your tuner is one of the best around--and he sure as hell did a better job than I'll be able to in three/four hours--but because I'll have as much time as I need to get it perfect, it will eventually result in a better tune. Imagine fixing the belts the clutch and giving it to Evans Tuning to tune for a solid month and then imagine the tune you would have.
If you're going to be tuning the car this kind of attitude is going to get you into trouble.

I love DIY but it will take a lot of practice for you with some g-meter based dyno software to come close to what someone like Jeff Evans can do in a handful of measurements on one of the best chassis dynos around. And what you may (or may not) find is that countless hours and inexperience just means you chase something back and forth. Every EMS solution will offer their foibles, and some lend themselves to that more than others.

Learning stuff is great if you dig that sort of stuff. But phrases like:

But I'd rather be a little more in debt now
when my DD is making 400+ whp.
there is no risk to stock internals during my learning process.
Are scary as hell.

You seem smart and well spoken and you sure as heck will learn a lot of stuff soon, and I suppose it will be a similar process to everyone else around you - which will involve a lot of fucking up and having to fix it. As long as you're able to provide for new motors and new cars, that is a-ok. But don't be like that guy somewhere on this board who sprayed his DD, blew it up, lost his job because of that and can't fix it. That's just sad. I think if you sat down with all the people here who have 300 or 400 or 500hp Preludes and had a frank discussion about how useful/functional those cars are on any given day you might be surprised.

1 - 20 of 375 Posts