Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, i have a pioneer head unit thats going into my turbo lude, i need help on the overall system:

pioneer 6050 ub head unit, connected to an alpine v12 mrvt300 amp (via rca cables) that drives pioneer ts-a1702c component speakers for the front (im not running rear speakers)
as far as the sub goes, its an old dhd power cruiser 8 inch sub which claims to be 250 watts (which i dont believe) that ill be running straight off the head unit (in sub mode)

what i need to ask is, does this configuration sound good to you guys, as far as sound quality goes? im not looking for it to be loud, just clear, i was told by someone to use the amp to drive the front speakers as thats where 85 percent of the sound comes from and to run this small sub from the head unit- will that be ok on the head units tiny amp?
like i said im not expecting huge bass, it just want it to sound good at an average volume, if you guys could give me some opinions and some pointers that would be great!
ill post up pics of the entire install in a couple of weeks when i can get the speaker pods made!

cheers

·
Registered
191 Posts
ehh that a is horrible idea. It will never sound good. Believe me. Have your front speakers running off of the deck, and the sub running off of the amp. OR, buy a small amp for the sub. but, for your setup, i would just use the amp for the sub you will be much happier. it will sound great.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok well in that case i might throw in a spare amp i have for the sub (an old sony xplod with white noise) and see if it sounds better, though im going to try the first configuration then the latter and see the difference!
id rather run both on a seperate amp as the head unit amps just dont cut it for components

·
Registered
399 Posts
ok well in that case i might throw in a spare amp i have for the sub (an old sony xplod with white noise) and see if it sounds better, though im going to try the first configuration then the latter and see the difference!
id rather run both on a seperate amp as the head unit amps just dont cut it for components
and you think it can run a sub which requires more power than components...:confused:

2 options:
run comps off head unit and sub off the amp
or
run comps off amp and don't use a sub until you get a good amp for it.

good luck :thumbs-up:

·
Registered
286 Posts
i think its a great idea especially if you hate your deck and sub. whats going to happen is it will work for a while and probably sound ok. yor most likely going to start clipping the deck amp and your sub is going to cut in and out causing damage to both. this is not my opinion it is a fact it happened to me in my younger more in expeirienced days. i overloaded the deck fried the deck amp and surged power to the sub and toasted the voice coil. you learn from your mistakes but take my advice....running the sub off the deck amp is a bad idea!!
Posted via Mobile

·
Premium Member
5,227 Posts
I see broken head unit and useless sub in your future. A head unit at less than 25 watts rms is not even going to move that sub.

Plus from the simple fact you're even thinking about running a sub off a head unit... I'm just going to assume it wouldn't be wired at the correct impedance and would blow one/both of them up.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
update, i have read that my head unit has an rms output of 18 watts, i have changed my sub to a small jl audio sub tube that is rated at 6 watts, not the head unit is DESIGNED to run up to two subs, i am only running one very small unit and i dont crank it.
the person whos selling the head unit to me and pioneer guarantee the unit for a year, and i was the seller who works here http://www.rapidradio.co.nz/
tht recomended this to me as he said the components are where 85 percent of the sound comes from, this guy is highly trusted, he has designed systems for all kind of cars and this shop is one of the better ones in the country, but either way ill find out-

btw any amp connected to any sub/speaker will clip if abused, this head unit im using, like i said is designed for this purpose, it also has fully controllable high pass filters (front) and dedicated subwoofer mode for the rear, if selected, im told that having an amp with a higher rating that the sub its driving is the better way to to, even if its a 18 watt amp powering a 6 watt sub.

i suppose ill find out when the speaker pods are back from the fabricators next week.

heres the unit im actually buying tomorrow morning (the previously mentioned head unit does not have usb!)

http://www.sli.co.nz/sl/index.php?p...category_id=9&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=26

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the head unit only connects to 4 ohm or above speakers/subs, the sub im using is 4 ohms, im not the smartest person around but im far from stupid.

I see broken head unit and useless sub in your future. A head unit at less than 25 watts rms is not even going to move that sub.

Plus from the simple fact you're even thinking about running a sub off a head unit... I'm just going to assume it wouldn't be wired at the correct impedance and would blow one/both of them up.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have a complete pioneer system in my 4th gen...

consisting of a pioneer deck, 4 matching pioneer 6 1/2 inch 3 way stock replacement size speakers... being run off the head unit...

2 x 12 inch pioneer subs capable of 1000 watts each, being pushed by a kenwood 920 2 channel amp bridged down to 2 ohm...

I have had this set up in my car since I have owned it, and it sounds hella good... had a buddy fine tune my amp settings, and now it sounds better..

I am going to get a better amp later on, but for now it works great...
The 6 1/2 inch speakers are what fits in the factory holes in my 4th gen, and they are 160 watts each... the head unit pushes them just fine... for the midrange and high range sounds... little bit of bass from them, but not as much as my subs... will post pics later...

·
Registered
286 Posts
you can get about the same effect fro. door pods as those 6 in tubes.if you get some 6 1/2s for the back with the inner pods itll work great since there all running off an amp. the inner pods are cheap and fit inside the holes that the speaker fit in. the project all the sound outwards and act as a small box.its a cheaper way to go and should provide about equal sound IMO. ive installed those compact subs and amps in cars and didnt sound very good but thats just one mans opinion with over 10 years in the stereo game.
Posted via Mobile

1 - 11 of 11 Posts