Honda Prelude Forum banner

Pics erebuni kit + tail light mod. Advice needed

9K views 55 replies 19 participants last post by  mxbikelude 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey Luders, I thought I'd just post some random photos I've taken. Basic body kit test fit - sorry for the shit photos. Also, a comparison of my tail light "prelude" light up mod lit at night time - versus unlit at day time.

With the side skirts - the quarter panel sections that don't quite make it up to the 'waistband' line - what do you guys think my chances are of extending it with fibre glass? Seems like a very tricky thing to do. Might need a chicken wire or plastic 'substrate'. Feel free to give any advice or suggestions. I want it all to come up flush with the ridge.

You can also see the hated evil pole that reaped damage to my passenger wheel arch (I could have killed my self - nearly cried!). It ain't too bad, I will prolly get it hammered out and resprayed when I do the kit, or buy a whole new panel (hopefully cheaper). The color should match okay seeing as the whole paint job is only about 2-3 years old. Again let me know what you think about this. Only other problem is it slightly bent my rocker panel section on the quarter panel in a bit but the side skirt covers this. Oh, and that car port is so fucking narrow it is ridiculous - I really need those JDM folding side mirrors, lol! I was trying to straighten up, and I let the car roll back a bit while I didn't realise the wheels were on an angle still and it just pushed in on the wheel arch and rocker.

Side skirt photos:

See the bit I want to extend -- best example is in this photo:

And the other side skirt on the red lude

Front bumper, you get the idea

Tailight "prelude" light up mod, unlit at day:

At night (text is actually very sharply defined and deeper red- the light 'blooms' on my phone camera):

Isn't she beautiful!

Okay, so please give me advice on fibre glassing the side skirts to extend up to the ridge on the 'rocker panel" bit. And also, I am obviously going to install everything with screws, however to get the side 'rocker' parts of the side skirt to sit totally flush to the panel, I will have to use glue or double sided tape -- any suggestions here? Preferably something I can remove if necessary without leaving damage to the paint underneath.

I'm gonna be getting the whole kit sprayed to match the car, plus the new or repaired quarter panel + my SI electric side mirrors, + a secret, custom, new, more square, much lower and 80's style spoiler I have in the pipeline + color code the 'plastic strip' rain channels on the rear of the roof.

Hope you enjoy the pics,

Hayden

PS. I know what I'm referring to as 'rocker panel' section of quarter-panel ain't actually the rocker panel - just don't know how else to describe it.

See less See more
#55 ·
Erebuni front + rear bumpers

Really shitty photos, I know...

I swear I'll put up hi res SLR photos once I have done more work on my Lude.
These look sick !
Erebuni front + rear bumpers

Really shitty photos, I know...

I swear I'll put up hi res SLR photos once I have done more work on my Lude.
These bumpers are sick !!!
I’ve been looking for bumpers to fit on my 84’ but its so difficult to find any, where did you get these ? Good luck with the fitting !

#4 · (Edited)
Hopefully these ones:

Og San's 15 inch by 7 inch:

But It'll be like a year til I can afford rims - they are on the very bottom of my priorities list. Also, I want to get the hotbits adjustable coilovers/struts (also bottom of priorities). I would probably leave the height about where it is now though - (with the body kit) maybe raise it 5-10mm if anything.

Firstly I have to get right onto the engine build - even before I fork out to get all this shit sprayed. The second phase will be suspension and new wheels. Final phase will be tranny resto with Teg gears, and a rebuild kit, + new synchros - I've also been looking at LSD diffs. Engine rebuild I hope to be mostly done over this summer, like the next 4-5 months, but I wouldn't expect to be even looking at starting tranny stuff til next summer - mass saving up to do! As for suspension/wheels, I might aim to get it done throughout the coming year as I get the money and time.

Other stuff I have ready to do this summer is put in my full black jdm interior, which I currently have in pieces in my workshop, being individually cleaned and restored. Also picking up a new molded jet black carpet. Plus some other jdm interior treats that I wont disclose for a little while longer.

I also have to reinstate my rear windscreen wiper and water jet, whilst removing that stupid rubber aerial, and installing an interior 'stick on window aerial'

Oh, and really big news!!! I'm converting back to stock handbrake! The aftermarket handbrake lever and leather boot really are disgusting (previous owners). Stock jet black handbrake is so much nicer IMO. I'm keeping my blue leather gear shift boot though.

Sorry for ranting on about my plans and pipe-dreams - but I feel better setting my goals and time frames -- first step to making them come true ;-), plus I thought people might be interested...

#15 · (Edited)
Hopefully these ones:

Og San's 15 inch by 7 inch:

I really hope you will change your mind and get some like these instead.

http://page6.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/f86383503

Would be a shame to put non JDM wheels on such a JDM equiped car. lol

I would imagine that exact size and offset will fill the guards but u may need to roll the lips

You can start by measuring your wheels width and offset or reading its offset should be written on the inside of the rim.

Any change in width or offset you measure and change on your wheel you should be able to figure out weather it will interfere with guards or suspension parts.

#5 ·
those rims are sexy zoldrin i plan on doin the jdm all black interior also with the lude painted phoenix red cant wait to see your lude finished

#6 ·
dude i love it , beautful pix bravo bravooo

#9 ·
Fiberglass

So since i have some experience in this field I thought i'd throw some of my suggestions out there...

If you can and know someone who can make a plug (mould) of that kit.. do it before attempting to lengthen the skirt height. Most side skirts don't take to well to add ons unless you really strip it back and "attach" pieces in a manner that's similar to "fuming" in paintwork.. ie you will need to blend the old with the new.. this is difficult and it you don't have experience you should practice first, hece the suggestion to make a plug and then have a dummy kit made to practice on.

Personaly i think it's a nice kit the way it is and wouldn't touch it. The only thing I would do is have soemone reinforce the front and rear bars from the inside. it is an old kit and one almight whack over a speed bump will make things very difficult for you to fix.

Well I hope that made sense.. If it didn't PM me and I'll try to explain.

Zaahir

P.S. Thanks for the pics.. gives me new ideas for my kit design.. :sly:

#10 ·
Im not much of a fan of kits but do whatever you have to do to make it how you want. so long as you keep the stock stuff so you can return it to factory if need be,

I actually have a brand new kit under my house for 2g its for the AB or DX model cant use it as i have all Si and i have got over body kits as well,

#12 ·
Im not much of a fan of kits but do whatever you have to do to make it how you want. so long as you keep the stock stuff so you can return it to factory if need be,

I actually have a brand new kit under my house for 2g its for the AB or DX model cant use it as i have all Si and i have got over body kits as well,
PM Sent ;-)

#14 ·
Cool, thanks for the advice guys.

The thing with the side skirts is that one of them has already been trimmed and not quite evenly, so I'm gonna have to file it straight anyway. It would be nice if they both came up to the ridge. If the side molding were still installed, this would cover to tops of the skirts and make a cleaner install. But as you mention, I don't think trying to add length is a good idea, and also I don't want to pay to have a mold made. I also don't want to reinstate the side moldings. I'm going to have to trim the other side skirt to the same as the one that has been trimmed, and file and sand both to a smooth straight finish along the top.

This is what I am referring to in the above photos (just to be clear):

Both the skirts seem to be different lengths at these points on both front and back - whether they came like this or not I do not know, however the white one seems worse, even though the black one was the one which was test fitted by previous owners. It has had several previous owners though so who knows what has been done. The main point that is worrying is the one in the red circle above. The rear of the white can be filed down slightly to follow the line, and the black skirt seems like it is fine as it is. Just that bit in the red circle could do with slight extension.

Perhaps I just wont worry - it may even line up properly with a proper test fit. The part around the door needs to be trimmed slightly to allow the door clearance, and also the skirt needs to be screwed in under the plastic splash guard in the wheel arches. If I do this, the other parts my sit better. I will wait and see first.

On, the other hand, I think I can reinforce the bumpers myself from the inside using fibreglass, however I will be driving extremely carefully at all times.

As to the wheels, yes I'd like some originals - but I also want some perfect condition wheels and not too expensive.

As to wheel offset, I don't know what would look good or be compatible - any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks for all your help and advice.

#17 · (Edited)
God knows I'd love JDM wheels, it's just I only ever see them in mediocre condition, missing center caps etc. and for as much money as I could pay for new wheels.

That style of wheel copied by the og san, and that you linked to are definitely what I am after. Or something similar. I really hate spoked wheels!!! Must have a nice mesh style wheel. I'm open to other suggestions too.

Obviously they are more available in other parts of the world. So when the time comes I'll call upon you all to help me out.

Also, I still have no clue how to setup proxy bidder/reciever for yahoo japan auctions, but it would be good for getting jdm wheels.

EDIT: There are definitely a few differences between the SSR whels and the knock off og san wheels. Probably more than what my un trained eye can see.

EDIT: I just converted the price, holy shit they are cheap -- but it is only two wheels I think? My translator says it is "two gold books with tyres" lol.

#18 ·
If you are doing any buying from Japan i should be able to help you out proxy bidders are expensive,

Center caps can be had reasonably easily as well if that's a worry,

Surely restoring a set of genuine JDM wheels will be just as exciting as the rest of this build would be a shame to see those "OG" on there imo.

Sadly SSRs are quite hard to find in 4x100 but quite often there are good deals up there in the size you may want its just a case of when, Old wheels have so much more character than new ones, i dont think i will ever buy wheels new cause theres so many nice old ones out there.

#19 ·
Body kit

Personally I wouldn't put those nasty side skirts on, they aren't that great a moulding and they don't fit properly. Get the front and rear bumpers painted up in silver and have them fitted and see what it looks like, side skirts can be made up from any kind of plastic and you can just extend them down from the top of the sill just below the doors. My mate did this with some plastic stips and worked out quite well. Although personally I'm a fan of the way you have your car now as it's the same as i have mine on the race car. But i do quite like the Erubuni front and rear bumpers. Get your body repaired properly and bumpers painted up and see where your at. If you really want some skirts there's German company you can buy some from that are much better quality and are new and still in stock.

#20 ·
Thanks for the advice Alex and Rich, true wisdom.

I'll will take both your suggestions. I think I would like skirts still at some point. I will have a play anyway with the erebuni ones, they only need slight trimming to clear the door, but it's just the top alignment where it is on the quarter panels that is annoying me. I think the were trimmed at these points previously to suit an SI car, but they were made for a DX car, so it's a bit annoying. I could try blending in more fibreglass but dunno.

What is the german company you speak of, Rich?

#21 · (Edited)
bodykit

very similar to erubuni but better made and fits better, seen a lude in U~K with this on and looked pretty goodl. ~The wheels are still available as well apparantly when i spoke to them last.

http://www.styleauto.de/

Not sure what happened to that but look at their site!! look under gallery for more pics of the ludes with kits on too.

#23 ·
zoldrin when your done with your lude do you mind if i fly out there and steal it haha ill bring it back after a little joyride lol

#26 ·
bodykits

Nice work Rich.

The price of shipping to Australia would be huge though... But in the grand scheme probably worth it. Those skirts look VERY similar to the erubuni ones.

#27 ·
skirts

Yeah but the quality from what i can see in the pics is way better than Erebuni I've seen the kit fully painted and fitted professionally and it looks very very good for an early 80's one. Just a thought would it be possible to chop the tops of the skirts down a bit so they are all the same level and then just fit on so it looks like it's part of the design rather than trying to blend into the body work?? Still think you should go for a simpler design though keeping the sides as original as possible and just adding some kind of extension down on the bottom of the sills.

#28 · (Edited)
Body work progress

Okay, I just got several litres of acrylic paint mixed to specifically match my car. About $400 later, I have all the materials and resources to spray the body kit. That ,on-top of the cost of the kit, plus the even more expensive shipping, and I have spent about $1500 just on this endeavour. But the cost was spread out, and I am learning some valuable and fun skills - so it is all worth it! Not to mention I have one of the very last 2G erebuni body kits ever made!

Zaahir is kindly spraying the kit for me and teaching me along the way. I am helping out too. We are going to spray the bumpers and fit these. Then I will decide to use the side skirts or not and we may spray them at this stage. I feel I will prolly use the skirts at this stage.

Anyway, so far the rear bumper has been prepped, primered, top-coated, and pending some light sanding is ready for clear!

The front bumper was in worse condition, naturally, and has a more complex structure, so the prep work was a lot more meticulous but is nearly done. We did spray several coats of primer, but I have had to make extensive use of stop-putty, and will have to do a lot of sanding now, before the next coat of primer/filler can go on. Then it will be ready for top-coat and then clear.

One thing I have really learned is that 95% of a succesful spray job is the time spent in prep work.

Here are some pics:

One of, if not the very last, erebuni kit ever produced:

Rear bumper before (ie. in old shitty primer):

Zaa Spraying (new primer-filler, after preperatory sanding and degresaing):

Many hours and many coats later... where it stands now. In metallic top-coat. Still needs light sanding, and clear coat for shine. Sorry the photo does not do it justice. I will use the SLR on the finished pieces! I promise.

The front bumper... prep-work nightmare!!! But nearly over!

Putty Half done:

Putty 90% done:

Yes, lots of tiny imperfections that would no doubt show through, accentuated by the top-coat.

I have been doing all the prep myself, and will shoot the next primer myself too. :) Doing the mirrors has given me limited experience, but I will gain some more practice on spare surfaces with cheap paint first.

More updates soon. This will all be finished off next time Zaa comes down. Maybe even the skirts too, as I can get them dry fitted, trimmed, prepped and primered before he gets here. I may even have the confidence and practice by then to try spraying the color and clear myself. I think I will actually, as they are a much easier shape and size to spray. I would love to give it a try. That is my goal now.

Thanks Zaahir! And thanks to Dave for selling me this kit many months ago. I hope you see this and are relieved finally that it is being loved!

#30 ·
...I may even have the confidence and practice by then to try spraying the color and clear myself...
You should do some extra practice on spraying clear. It is more difficult than spraying base. It helps to use a fast dry clear to prevent sags if you have never sprayed clear before.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.