Honda Prelude Forum banner
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
bodykit

very similar to erubuni but better made and fits better, seen a lude in U~K with this on and looked pretty goodl. ~The wheels are still available as well apparantly when i spoke to them last.

http://www.styleauto.de/

Not sure what happened to that but look at their site!! look under gallery for more pics of the ludes with kits on too.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
zoldrin when your done with your lude do you mind if i fly out there and steal it haha ill bring it back after a little joyride lol

·
Hepcat
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
zoldrin when your done with your lude do you mind if i fly out there and steal it haha ill bring it back after a little joyride lol

You're welcome to fly over, stow away with Garret perhaps. I got some major updates pending on the interior side of things by the way. Been a busy boy. But that is for another thread.

·
Aussie Aussie Aussie
3,694 Posts
bodykits

Nice work Rich.

The price of shipping to Australia would be huge though... But in the grand scheme probably worth it. Those skirts look VERY similar to the erubuni ones.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
skirts

Yeah but the quality from what i can see in the pics is way better than Erebuni I've seen the kit fully painted and fitted professionally and it looks very very good for an early 80's one. Just a thought would it be possible to chop the tops of the skirts down a bit so they are all the same level and then just fit on so it looks like it's part of the design rather than trying to blend into the body work?? Still think you should go for a simpler design though keeping the sides as original as possible and just adding some kind of extension down on the bottom of the sills.

·
Hepcat
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
Body work progress

Okay, I just got several litres of acrylic paint mixed to specifically match my car. About $400 later, I have all the materials and resources to spray the body kit. That ,on-top of the cost of the kit, plus the even more expensive shipping, and I have spent about $1500 just on this endeavour. But the cost was spread out, and I am learning some valuable and fun skills - so it is all worth it! Not to mention I have one of the very last 2G erebuni body kits ever made!

Zaahir is kindly spraying the kit for me and teaching me along the way. I am helping out too. We are going to spray the bumpers and fit these. Then I will decide to use the side skirts or not and we may spray them at this stage. I feel I will prolly use the skirts at this stage.

Anyway, so far the rear bumper has been prepped, primered, top-coated, and pending some light sanding is ready for clear!

The front bumper was in worse condition, naturally, and has a more complex structure, so the prep work was a lot more meticulous but is nearly done. We did spray several coats of primer, but I have had to make extensive use of stop-putty, and will have to do a lot of sanding now, before the next coat of primer/filler can go on. Then it will be ready for top-coat and then clear.

One thing I have really learned is that 95% of a succesful spray job is the time spent in prep work.

Here are some pics:

One of, if not the very last, erebuni kit ever produced:

Rear bumper before (ie. in old shitty primer):

Zaa Spraying (new primer-filler, after preperatory sanding and degresaing):

Many hours and many coats later... where it stands now. In metallic top-coat. Still needs light sanding, and clear coat for shine. Sorry the photo does not do it justice. I will use the SLR on the finished pieces! I promise.

The front bumper... prep-work nightmare!!! But nearly over!

Putty Half done:

Putty 90% done:

Yes, lots of tiny imperfections that would no doubt show through, accentuated by the top-coat.

I have been doing all the prep myself, and will shoot the next primer myself too. :) Doing the mirrors has given me limited experience, but I will gain some more practice on spare surfaces with cheap paint first.

More updates soon. This will all be finished off next time Zaa comes down. Maybe even the skirts too, as I can get them dry fitted, trimmed, prepped and primered before he gets here. I may even have the confidence and practice by then to try spraying the color and clear myself. I think I will actually, as they are a much easier shape and size to spray. I would love to give it a try. That is my goal now.

Thanks Zaahir! And thanks to Dave for selling me this kit many months ago. I hope you see this and are relieved finally that it is being loved!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
...I may even have the confidence and practice by then to try spraying the color and clear myself...
You should do some extra practice on spraying clear. It is more difficult than spraying base. It helps to use a fast dry clear to prevent sags if you have never sprayed clear before.

·
Aussie Aussie Aussie
3,694 Posts
I can attest to the tiny little pits in that front bumper.. not a single section without even a little stone chip so Hayden's done a good job.

mikes87lude is correct - clear is a little more difficult to spray but that's generally because you can't see it go on as well and people get a little over excited then start laying it on thick which is not a good idea... that's what causes the runs. The clear for this is pretty good quality from memory so there shouldn't be too many problems.

Hayden, you should really try the cheap paint idea... definitely worth it for the practice. Hopefully I'll be able to free up a weekend in the next few but the practice will be invaluable.

The pic with the silver didn't work by the way.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I do like that lighting. Well done. Mine was more of a hack job before I had the proper tools or place to do it. It looked a bit terrible when you opened the trunk but still looked great outside, so I was happy with it.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts