Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know questions like these have been asked bajillion times but every situation is a little bit different so I can't really be sure.

So to start off, I have a JDM H22, OBDI. The previous owner of the vehicle has not put the right ECU in the vehicle. Now I would just buy a P13, but I also plan to mod heavily and I want to learn to tune.

As such, I have considered getting an OBDI P28 or P72 with Hondata, and perhaps a standalone, but I'm not sure.

For reference, in the future I want to take give my Prelude the works and get it ready for the track.

I read somewhere that if you get aftermarket cams the chipped ECUs aren't really a good idea, but I'm not really sure if I can trust that information.

I know I didn't give the most information, I'm drawing a blank right now, but if anything is needed I'll be glad to reply. I'm just trying to save myself from making a mistake and wasting a bunch of money.

P.S. I wasn't sure what section to put this in, so I apologize if [Engine] was a bad choice.

·
Registered
JDM 4th Gen Prelude 2.2 Vtec Turbo
116 Posts
An OBD 1 JDM ECU is a P13.

An OBD 1 P28/72 with Hondata fitted is the best approach with a modified engine allowing for easy remapping.

With anything more than simple bolt on mods it is what you'll need to get the most out of your modifications, especially cams.

A standalone ECU will give you the same result as a Hondata setup, though will probably cost considerably more and take longer to setup.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
An OBD 1 JDM ECU is a P13.

An OBD 1 P28/72 with Hondata fitted is the best approach with a modified engine allowing for easy remapping.

With anything more than simple bolt on mods it is what you'll need to get the most out of your modifications, especially cams.

A standalone ECU will give you the same result as a Hondata setup, though will probably cost considerably more and take longer to setup.
Awesome! So I'm assuming the information I heard about needing a standalone if you get new cams was wrong.

Anyway, thanks a bunch man I really appreciate it

1 - 3 of 3 Posts