Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, so I recently picked up a very clean (101k original miles) 1991 3rd gen and I've caught the bug. Everything works on this thing. However, since I've had it, I've had a very annoying squeak while driving (in motion only).

The noise doesn't happen when in neutral and in place. It will only happen when rolling. It does not speed up when the engine is revved. It does not only happen with certain things on/off (AC, etc). If the car is on, and rolling, about every 5-10 seconds it will make a noise from the front right of the engine bay (had a buddy walk beside car with hood up to narrow it down).

You can make the noise if you gurgle, but it's high-pitched (like a high-pitched growl?). As far as I can tell, it doesn't affect anything, but it is just annoying as hell.

When I brought it in to the shop to have my brakes done, I asked for them to listen and find out what it is. They apparently think that the noise is from the very hidden random 'valve' in the attached pictures. This picture is taken right next to the battery. The first picture is what the valve thing is below (so you know where it's near). The second picture, with the flash, shows a small bleeder nipple it looks like. I'm not sure if this is really what is making the noise, but the only lead I have..

Any suggestions people? I have a buzzcut, and this noise is making me pull my hair out >_<

·
Premium Member
9,128 Posts
It's hard to tell from your description, but I don't think the shop is correct. There is no "very hidden random valve". I suspect that you have a ball joint issue. I've seen it before, on my son's 3rd gen. A nasty squealing noise coming from the right front. No noise unless the car was in motion. Even bouncing the car up and down didn't make it happen. We replaced the lower ball joint on the right front and the noise disappeared.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's hard to tell from your description, but I don't think the shop is correct. There is no "very hidden random valve". I suspect that you have a ball joint issue. I've seen it before, on my son's 3rd gen. A nasty squealing noise coming from the right front. No noise unless the car was in motion. Even bouncing the car up and down didn't make it happen. We replaced the lower ball joint on the right front and the noise disappeared.
Did the lower ball joint visually look damaged or old? At first, I thought the noise was the front bumper vibrating and squeaking, thats what it sounds like. But the bumper doesn't move. I'll try to get a video in the next day or two of it making the noise.

·
Premium Member
9,128 Posts
No, it looked normal. There was no visual indication of it being bad.

·
Premium Member
16,865 Posts
Your description of squealing is vague.

Either its a belt or
its a lower ball joint.

Best I can come up with with such a description over the net.

·
Memento Mori
7,511 Posts
That second picture shows your ALB(ABS) pump motor and you can test if this is what's making the noise very easily.

Pull the ALB motor relay from the underhood fuse box and then go on a drive. If it's the motor the noise should go away.

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
Thanks Dave. Yeah I noticed that pic too. I mentioned you in his new build thread.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That second picture shows your ALB(ABS) pump motor and you can test if this is what's making the noise very easily.

Pull the ALB motor relay from the underhood fuse box and then go on a drive. If it's the motor the noise should go away.
That did it, the squeak is gone. Gunna live without the ABS, I'll probably end up taking the bulb out from the dash to get rid of the light as well. Thanks for the help!

·
Memento Mori
7,511 Posts
If you unplug the connectors from the control unit the light goes out as well. (It's easier to get to.)

The control unit is under and behind the radio/cig lighter area. If you remove the passenger side trim by the console you should be able to see the pink plugs going into the control unit.

There must be some kind of internal leak in the ALB system causing it to lose pressure very fast. Which is why the pump kicks on frequently to pressurize the system again. I think this is what usually kills the ALB system on these cars. I'm determined to get my system working again so I might be able to come up with a solution sometime in the future.

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
Those covers were the ones I was telling you about. Be very careful removing them. Use only a body panel removal tool. They are discontinued.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts