Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ice Blue Lude SLAMMED on Teins -Camber Woes! HELP

my 99 2.2 Prelude VTEC is sitting pretty low (-60mm drop Tein Basics) problem is its pulling to one side

Its sitting on 215 35 18"

i have just had it back from a garage and they said the Cambers are out by 2-3 degrees and there is nothing they can do! I had a look myself while it was up in the air and steering rods were at 20-30 degree angle. I expect his is normal for a car this low(?) I know Tein do a Camber Kit but will this help my exessive tye wear & pulling? my 2nd question is where do i go to get this fitted?
Dont say the place where i got my suspension fitted - not going back there again! I love my Lude and wana keep it forever!

Can anyone advise of a Aftermarket Performance Suspension Specialists in the UK London Essex area?







 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
my friend has a 4th gen and has an spc camber adjusting kit or something like that. cost him 160aud and he just got the fronts coz the 4th gens have read adjusting kits inbuilt. so it would cost approx 300 aud to have this kind of issue sorted on our 5th gens.
ill see if i can find a link/pic

quoted from racinghonda on preludeaustralia.com
I was at work and returned to my desk after a meeting to find a delivery. After checking that it wasn't ticking I opened it and found my SPC front upper ball joint camber adjustment kit. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SPC-FRONT-R...sspagenameZWD2V
Awesome workmanship and quality, exactly what I was after :grin:
Please don't ask how much it cost, because I have since, made myself forget :sad: for reasons of sanity. But this i suspension we're talking about so no cheap stuff. I really don't want to die due to me skimping a few dollars.
Anyway, morbid stuff out of the way, here is the kit. I was so excited I had to post about it, which meant photos from my phone.

You can see the markings for camber adjustments here.

The joint slides on the upper piece.

Can't wait to get it in! :tongue:
[snapback]254173[/snapback]​
and:
wheres that attach to? the top of your strut?
[snapback]254307[/snapback]​
It replaces the stock upper ball joint.

You should'd use this kit if you are lowered past 1.5"
[snapback]254312[/snapback]​
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks CUL8R that makes for some v interesting reading. Do you know if hes got them fitted yet? would not mind know how it went.

i dont think mine is lowered past 1.5"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
dunno man. it might be close.
the reason u shouldnt use it if ur dropped too far is coz ull need new bumpstops and even with them its possible to rip a hole in ur skirt.
heres yet another quote, from prelude online
I really hate to be the bearer of tidings of the negative. The reality is that you are lowered more than what the factory wanted to allow. This problem is common with almost ALL of the balljoint type Camber kits. The harder you hit a bump - regardless of springs - the more the control arm moves, since there is very little space at the top of the tower. That is why you have dimples or a tear. The only solution I know of is to use the correct Camber kit for your specific drop and alignment needs. I have written before on this subject. Might add that I am NOT discussing the rear as its setup is very different.
The truth is that both SPC and Ingalls state in their catalogs that you MUST have the car aligned to properly select the kit you need. There is NO generic kit. My car has SPC up front (67135) and they correct the Camber perfectly for my situation/yours will be different in all likelihood. To the best of my knowledge there are no replacement control arms for the 5th gen for street use, if at all. Another thing-due to the small clearances in the towers you can find yourself doing a bit of sheetmetal work if you move the control arms out from the normal anchor points (applies to 4th gen Preludes and CRXs). The fact is that if it is moved outward in the front towers there is interference with the inner fender and a small section needs to be beaten out of the way (my CRX had this done).
To fix the problem you have-the dimples-will require a pro and a TIG/MIG machine to smooth and seal the area back into the correct shape. The hood is less than 1/2" away so be very careful when considering your options-don't cut a hole in the piece and think that will work-you will damage the hood. Another thing-that piece of sheetmetal is designed to take some very serious abuse-so don't try welding a piece over it either.
I make these satements based in part on my own knowledge of my cars and camber kits. My body shop is dedicated to doing their job correctly and have advised me as to the last items I mention here. In the end the best solution is to raise your car up except for show.
Happy holidays
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,297 Posts
zed.999 said:
my 99 2.2 Prelude VTEC is sitting pretty low (-60mm drop Tein Basics) problem is its pulling to one side

Its sitting on 215 35 18"

i have just had it back from a garage and they said the Cambers are out by 2-3 degrees and there is nothing they can do! I had a look myself while it was up in the air and steering rods were at 20-30 degree angle. I expect his is normal for a car this low(?) I know Tein do a Camber Kit but will this help my exessive tye wear & pulling? my 2nd question is where do i go to get this fitted?
Dont say the place where i got my suspension fitted - not going back there again! I love my Lude and wana keep it forever!

Can anyone advise of a Aftermarket Performance Suspension Specialists in the UK London Essex area?
First of all is the steering wheel straight when it's pulling? The shop should have centered the wheel before checking anything. Second, excessive camber shouldn't make your car pull to one side...improper "Toe" will. This is sometimes called "Thrust angle". When you lower you need to have the Toe adjusted. Why don't you want to take it back if it's not correct?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,273 Posts
i'm lowered about that much and my camber is -1.1 I'm not sure if I should deal with a camber kit for that because the way I drive i'm seeing pretty even wear everywhere. I guess it would be worse with 18's and wider tires though. my caster is at like 4.4 though... how the hell do I fix that?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
edge2lyfe said:
First of all is the steering wheel straight when it's pulling? The shop should have centered the wheel before checking anything. Second, excessive camber shouldn't make your car pull to one side...improper "Toe" will. This is sometimes called "Thrust angle". When you lower you need to have the Toe adjusted. Why don't you want to take it back if it's not correct?
Yeap the steering wheel was straight when its pulling. Reason why i dont want to take it back to the garage is becasue im afraid as to what else they might F up - when they put the shocks in they didnt do a good job - the strut came up and left a dent in my bonnet!!!:devil: They payed to get it resprayed but i promised myself to never ever EVER go back there again..
 

·
RHD Pimpin
Joined
·
10,152 Posts
damn, nice ride
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,297 Posts
zed.999 said:
Yeap the steering wheel was straight when its pulling. Reason why i dont want to take it back to the garage is becasue im afraid as to what else they might F up - when they put the shocks in they didnt do a good job - the strut came up and left a dent in my bonnet!!!:devil: They payed to get it resprayed but i promised myself to never ever EVER go back there again..
Well that sucks, but anyway, try and find someone you can trust to align your car, look for shop thats got a state of art Hunter machine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,297 Posts
latigidyblod said:
just a side question but what kind of front lip is that? im looking for a front lip but i want something alternative to a oem front lip
I was wondering that as well but to me it looks similar to the Greddy lip.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
latigidyblod said:
just a side question but what kind of front lip is that? im looking for a front lip but i want something alternative to a oem front lip
Do you know what guys i been asked this before....it isnt as weighty as the Gready lip in my opinion -apon close unspection the centre of the lip is larger on gready:
http://www.overboost.com/obs/hin/product.asp?pid=31368&cat_id=16&cat_name=Front%20Bumper&sc_id=118&sc_name=
My car is fitted with the Motegi Kit - i dont know if this model was just restricted to Honda UK as a few guys from the states werent even aware aware of the Motegi version of the Lude :eek:mg:

Honda UK stock the front splitter on my Lude mind...
ps the rear splitter from Honda uk is £270!!!!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
360 Posts
just wanted to make a comment... That isn't low.. now, mine is low.. I'm tucking about a half inch on the stock rims.. the frame is about an inch off the ground.. Yeah (go ahead a flame me for it.) personal choice plus haven't run into any problems yet. But anyway.. nice lookin ride man.. love the rims
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks guys.

Dont know what else i wana do to the exterior, half of me wants to leave it lookin how it is and the other wants to go sick with it!!! Carbon Fibre Hood, GT Spoiler, Graphix!

what do think guys?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,281 Posts
looks perfect how it is. don't change it.

and with a 1.5" drop you shouldn't have camber problems like you do. at most with that drop you should be -1.5*.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top