Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so a few days ago i went to turn on my wipers, but only the driver side one moved, i noticed there was ice on the pass. one so i knocked it off, cleaned up the whole area and now, it still doesn't work, it wiggles a little, but thats all

i did check the nuts that hold it on and it was tight, would i likely need to just take the dash off and replace a belt or something?

i did search, but i couldn't find anything thanks

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
I've never encountered that problem but theres not a whole lot of parts to really go wrong. I suggest removing the cover beneath your wiper blades. Check that you don't have anything blocking movement or any broken parts in the assembly. make sure that all nuts and bolts are tight and try it again. If that doesn't solve the issue you may need to replace the motor.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the driver side one still work just fine tho, i think it even has more power since it's only moving one wiper

·
Memento Mori
7,515 Posts
They are both driven off the same motor, so the wiper linkage must be damaged. bmixed is right, you will need to remove the cover at the bottom of the windshield/back of engine bay and see what is wrong.

·
Registered
289 Posts
There's a button on the left side of the dash that switches the wipers from dual to single mode. Make sure its set right.

:sly:

JOKING!

This happened to my sister's 89 Civic. She turned on the wipers while they were frozen to the windshield and stripped the threads on the base of the wiper arm. Only the driver side would move. Luckily the studs on the wiper linkage weren't damages. I was able to replace the wiper arm and tighten the bolt down and she was good to do. I'm thinking the wiper arm stripped as a built in safety for just such a problem. Much easier than having to tear into the windshield trim and replace a linkage arm (though that's not too difficult.)

From hondaautomotiveparts.com, 1989 Prelude:

·
Registered
9,584 Posts
Like said above. The black cover below the windshield must come off. Also as stated, there is one motor driving both wipers. It must be the linkage.

I have pics of the cover removed. They are in a thread and photobucket. If you want I can link them here real easy.

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
I just covered this so if you search under my userid I am sure you will find exactly how to take that cover off. Providing the diagram is not enough. It was a washington luder and he had pics of the flood.

·
BAN ALL MODS!!!
2,149 Posts
Could the screw be stripped where it goes through the wiper? That would make it stationary but still turn with the motor going? I saw that happen on a different vehicle. Unless this style is different the other types of wipers.

·
Registered
9,584 Posts
Could the screw be stripped where it goes through the wiper? That would make it stationary but still turn with the motor going? I saw that happen on a different vehicle. Unless this style is different the other types of wipers.
Could happen. There are splines on the arm where it attaches. If the splines were to break/strip, yeah. Or if the bolt that holds the arm on came lose.

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
take the nut off the arm on passenger side and inspect splines. If they are good then follow my instructions in this thread. I left diagram pics and another user showed pics of the rod linkage undeerneath. I was bored so here is the link: about $32 for both rods w/ bushings online.

http://preludepower.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306474&highlight=cowl

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks a lot everyone, i will hopefully be able to take a look today

·
Registered
286 Posts
I had a 94 aerodeck (acorn wagon) and the passenger side wiper didi the same thing. a quick tighting of the bolt that holds the wiper arm on fixed the problem right up. hopefully its something simple like this. it always makes it better when its a quick easy fix.
Posted via Mobile

1 - 12 of 12 Posts