Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys I am getting ready to do a timing belt job on my 91 with a b20a swap. I know the timing belts are interchangable but while I have everything taken apart im replacing a number of things including the water pump, thermostat, tensioner, accessory belts and crank and cam seals. So my question is do I order parts for the b20a5? Might be a dumb question and my common sense tells me b20a and b20a5 should be interchangable but I dont want to get in there and have the wrong parts or the wrong seals and piss oil all over the place. Did a search btw, only thing I could find was the timing belts are interchangeable.

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
yes, all of the above parts you listed are interchangeable with a b20a and b20a5. b21a1 parts are all the same too for those parts. all 3g blocks are 99% identical with the exception of bore and cylinder material. same for all 3 heads too with the exception of combustion chamber volume and bore, and some very very minor other differences that wont affect gasket and seal fitment. of course except head gasket fitment due to different bores.

·
Rep me if you hate my ass
4,348 Posts
Some guy said he had some import builder dude compare B20A and B20A5 heads and he found that the B20A head flows better. I'm not sure if this is true or not. In fact, I also read that the two heads are identical. Have you compared the two, Steve? I have not. I bathe in ignorance.

--J

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
no i have not compared the two heads side by side. there are differences in a b20a5 head and a b20a head. but i was referring to the gaskets used in each. all gaskets between b20a and b20a5 heads are totally interchangeable, as all gasket surfaces are identical.

same for b21a1 head compared to the others with the exception of the head gasket of course.

but all gaskets are totally interchangeable between b20a and b20a5 heads and blocks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts