Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put a 12" Exile Audio sub in my 94 prelude.(i know most people havent heard of exile) but its a 500 RMS sub. i built a custom slot ported box to specific dimensions. its only running on about 75 RMS of power(crappy amp) but hits HARD! so anyways after about a week of some hard hitting rap and hip hop all my panels are ratteling. both the interior rear side panels, and the rear deck, behind the seat, are ratteling horribly.
has anyone come across this problem? or better yet, fixed it?
my trunk is another issue altogether.
also if someone has found how to fix their trunk from ratteling, that would be usefull also.

pics soon!

·
Premium Member
5,227 Posts
Dynamat FTW. It's how I kept my wing from constantly rattling loose.

Get dynamat extreme. IMO it's alot easier to work with.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I have motor mount inserts and a sub, you think you have rattling issues sit in my car for 5 minutes haha.

But Dynamat should help get rid of some of that rattle.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
but isnt dynamat like a foil with an adhesive backing? i thought it was to stop echoing against metal?

·
Registered
174 Posts
no, its to reflect sound to help cancelation and absorb vibration and help elminate panel flexing. but there is no 100 cure for rattles and vibration...there is a difference though

to fix rattles go one at a time and screw glue dynamat or w/e you need to do to fix it then move to the next one.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
but isnt dynamat like a foil with an adhesive backing? i thought it was to stop echoing against metal?
most of the dynamat products are little more than flexible tarboard and glue. the foil part of product is designed to keep the asphalt material from tearing or falling apart during installation.

dynamat (and all other sound deadeners) work by adding weight to otherwise light sections of metal. light/thin metal is easily vibrated or rung (think bells and cymbals) becuase of it's relative lightness. adding weight makes it harder to ring/vibrate the metal.

your panels are buzzing for two reasons:

1) the vibrations your speakers are imparting to the box, the box is imparting to the chassis, and the chassis is imparting to those parts. vibrating parts tend to vibrate at their resonant frequency, and depending on what they are vibrating near, they make contact creating the buzz.

2) the air pressure changes your speakers are imparting to the air in your trunk/passenger cabin. that is basically instant wind, and that will instantly blow pieces around creating vibration.

the a#1 best fix is to insulate the box from the chassis. let the box rattle around all it wants without taking the car with it. this is the theory behind rubber engine mounts.

after you prevent the speakers/box from shaking the car, you can work to kill the leftover rattles with dynamat/glue/screws/felt/velco/foam/weatherstrip/etc.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
I just put in my 12" kicker comp.

Rattles like a bitch, But it must be expected with aftermarket subs. And like everyone else said, dynamat will help bigtime

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I just put in my 12" kicker comp.

Rattles like a bitch, But it must be expected with aftermarket subs. And like everyone else said, dynamat will help bigtime

if you expect your car to be a rattle trap after you install big subs, it's because you've been hanging out with a bunch audio-tards.

i've had systems that will loosen your fillings that didn't sound like a 1988 album/movie by U2 (go go gadget-wiki).

assumedly, you want to hear the bass your subs are designed to play, the bass the original artist recorded for you to hear....

why do you feel it's correct to add a shit ton of resonances spaced at random octaves to that original recording?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Some clarity.
Do not get asphalt based deadeners, they have a crappy melting point and can tend to smell.
I would recommend Second Skin Damplifier or Damplifier Pro.
For a cheaper solution Raamat.
These are butyl based deadeners.

go to www.secondskin.com and watch their install videos and read up on how the stuff works.
Dynamat is over priced, though good, you can get better from Second Skin.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well thanks for the advice, but i went down the a local fabric store an got for free some scraps of that foam egg-crate people put under their mattresses. got a can of spray adhesive an taa daa no more rattle. :) so to everyone who pays 100 bucks for dynomat, get a clue

1 - 11 of 11 Posts