Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my dad just bought me an air compressor, the spray gun...painting supplies(tapes, sand papers...etc)

i have a book about body work, dent removal, painting...etc

how hard is it to paint a fender?

i bought one but it is only primed...and i am thinking abou actually doing it myself, how hard is it to actually recieve quality from DIY?

·
Registered
978 Posts
Well, if you bought a new fender already primed, you don't need a book on body work.

It's really not hard to get a good DIY finish. I mean.. I don't know what to say.

You have what you need.. go for it.

Just look over the techniques (I have some notes upon request) and have fun. It's not as bad as you think.

The biggest problem you will face is matching the color of the fender to the current color, NOT the factory color, of your car.

Other than that.. wash the fender down, degrease it, follow the prep steps, follow all of the safety precautions, spray the paint in layers and be patient.

You can do it.

Just let me know if you have any further questions.. I might be able to help you out.. or maybe someone else can.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah, i have the book and tools, and prep stuff. I just have to get all the paint matched...so i will keep you informed

**any additional notes you have if you could PM them, i would greatly apreciate it

·
Premium Member
4,397 Posts
and dont bend your wrist when spraying, keep it straight and hover above the part, in a steady motion, no bobbing up and down which causes rippling.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
get practice pieces from the junkyard or do neighbors' cars at night :D When you get the feel for it, then do your own. You may want to wet-sand between coats if you're doing it out doors within like half a mile of a tree. Trees drop a lot of crap, and it seems like the biggest chunks come out when you're painting stuff (My model car paint booth is right under a friggin pepper tree. grr. )

·
Premium Member
4,397 Posts
^^ that, and have a filter through the system that filters moisture. You dont want moisture collected from your garage/area getting into the gun and possibly rusting it out or making the paint runny.

·
The Good Stuff
3,587 Posts
Consistancy is the key. Go all the way across, stop, go down and back across, repeat. Don't stop in the middle of spraying because it makes it un even and it runs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts