Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well in the morning im going to sand off all the clear coat thats left on the car and then its going to get spray bombed for now.... I know alot of people will say dont do it but right now its got big patches of primer on it and looks like a piece of shit, plus the last owner of it was an ass and I want to change it from looking like his car as much as I can.

Pics will come tomorow when I start working on my beast :tongue: well wish me luck I guess

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
At least it'll be all one color. I suggest springing for some good primer, that way you'll have a good base for when you get a proper paint job.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well after being lazy for a few days and buying a new digi cam yesterday here is a pic of what my car looks like now its only flat black primer and orignal white paint...im going to get it painted with gloss black to replace the flat and then just new white paint to replace the old faded and yellowish white thats on it now

well what do you all think?

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Yikes, not what i was expecting at all, but I do like it! I can't wait to see when you get the gloss going!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was planing on painting the hole car flat black for now...but i decided to try this first and see what it looked like.

Even I dont know if i like it yet. Anyone have any other ideas?

·
Registered
90 Posts
g2beater said:
I was planing on painting the hole car flat black for now...but i decided to try this first and see what it looked like.

Even I dont know if i like it yet. Anyone have any other ideas?
I would definitely paint it Wesku-style ;]

(Burnt orange, or something like that)

·
Registered
541 Posts
Spray bomb?

·
Registered
111 Posts
GSRLUDE said:
It looks like an oreo cookie.......and I do like oreo's :turn:
it really does look like an oreo. good luck spray bombing it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
If you have access to a compressor, it will be a LOT better to spray it with 'real' automotive primer. It comes in black and gray.
You could spray it with primer outside as most of the primer will be sanded back off before you paint.
One caveat about primer... it is HYGROSCOPIC meaning it will ABSORB moisture.
After this happens it is pretty much useless as far as what it was designed to do. You will have to sand it ALL back off and start over if you want to apply paint after the primer has absorbed moisture. Otherwise, the paint will not stick to the primer.
In additon ig you primer over bare metal, after the primer absorbs moisture it will rust UNDER the primer. Not good.

The best thing to do if you don't want to paint it for a while is to primer it with a good EPOXY PRIMER . That will provide the protection you need until you can get the color sprayed.
Epoxy primer is totally different from regular primer.
Spray can primer is ok for a small area that you plan to paint almost immediately after the primer drys.But it is not good at all as protection from corrosion if you don't plan to apply the finnish color for a few months.

You may want to consider a 'single stage' paint. It's less work than BC/CC or base coat/clear coat. Dupont Centari is one brand of SS or single stage paint. It is reasonably priced.You will need reducer and catalyst to go with.
THose 'cheap' paint guns (HVLP) will do fine for most stuff you'll paint around the house.
You won't need a $600 spray gun unless you're doing this stuff for money.

Anyway, good luck with it however you choose to do it.:turn:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts