Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Not a Dude.
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well...I once again need to paint my belt moldings & wiper arms. Over the past 7-8 years I think I've painted these thing like 20 times, LOL. I dont know what Im doing wrong.

I bought Trim & Molding paint at Auto Zone, and it doesn't stick for more than a few months, or a few good washes. I even primed them before I painted them and it still flakes off really quickly. I used a self etching primer the last time and still they look like poo.

Any Ideas? I really dont want to buy new moldings til Im ready to have new quarter panels hung, and a new paint job since they are like $70 ea.

Has anyone painted them successfully? What did you use? What was the process? I suck at this shit.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
On the wipers & quarter window bottom trim, I just cleaned them really good & used Krylon semi-flat black.

On the teggy front lip, just wiped them down good, and used Krylon Fusion for Plastic satin black. Its alittle too glossy, but its not coming off.

Tried Plastikote Trim & Bumper, crap flaked right off in a couple day, but with poor to no prep. You can see in the garage engine pic.

·
Not a Dude.
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
black. Its the belt moldings. They're the ones where the bottom of the window meets the door, not the ones across the middle of the door.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
I used plasti-kote trim paint, sanded the crap out of them, and about 6 months later the fuckers started flaking again. Maybe it's just the Plasti-Kote brand. I'll try krylon next time.

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
you need to sand them completely with 300-320 grit sandpaper. cant just spray the paint directly on them as they come stock.

wash, sand, sand again, sand again, wash, prime, paint
or
wash, sand, sand again, sand again, wash, prime, prime, prime, sand, wash, paint

·
Not a Dude.
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Moto!! Im gonna go do this ish right now.

they should legalize pot

·
Registered
750 Posts
and before you prime wipe them down with acytone to get any grease or oil off the surface. make sure the top coat gets wet sanded with 600 and then was dry paint again. then wet sand again to make it really smooth. then, clear coat them. by the way is that a xenon front clip on your ride? i like it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts