Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i just have a quick question.

my paint is cracking on my car, and im going to get a new paint job pretty soon i know everything gets sanded down and all but will the cracking from my old paint go through my new paint? thanks

·
RHD Pimpin
10,152 Posts
if you sand the car right, then you won't have to worry about the crack paint showing through your new paint....

·
Registered
20 Posts
hey guys i just have a quick question.

my paint is cracking on my car, and im going to get a new paint job pretty soon i know everything gets sanded down and all but will the cracking from my old paint go through my new paint? thanks
na it won't crack, i'm in auto body so just hear me out...if you get it done right..then the paint won't crack at all, if its the factory paidnt then its most likely just because of weather issues or if u live where it snows then its most likely salt...when you repaint the car depending on the color u might need to seal it...you you prime the entire car after all the body work make sure you use urethane primer and not laquor (laquor will crack) then spray the car with paint till its covered. then 2 nice regular coats of clear, there shouldnt be any problems what so ever...just make sure that after you prime, wait atleast 1 day to sand it...(so it cures) if u need to sand clear for like dust or something got in it make sure u wait 1 day also for it to clear..if u have any questions PM me...

·
RHD Pimpin
10,152 Posts
na it won't crack, i'm in auto body so just hear me out...if you get it done right..then the paint won't crack at all, if its the factory paidnt then its most likely just because of weather issues or if u live where it snows then its most likely salt...when you repaint the car depending on the color u might need to seal it...you you prime the entire car after all the body work make sure you use urethane primer and not laquor (laquor will crack) then spray the car with paint till its covered. then 2 nice regular coats of clear, there shouldnt be any problems what so ever...just make sure that after you prime, wait atleast 1 day to sand it...(so it cures) if u need to sand clear for like dust or something got in it make sure u wait 1 day also for it to clear..if u have any questions PM me...
There's really no need to primer a whole car if you're just doing certain parts of the car. You'll just be wasting primer then, plus I'd add 3-5 coats of clear, cause you're going to be taking off at least 1 layer after you wet sand the car, to get rid of the orange peal affect.

·
Registered
20 Posts
There's really no need to primer a whole car if you're just doing certain parts of the car. You'll just be wasting primer then, plus I'd add 3-5 coats of clear, cause you're going to be taking off at least 1 layer after you wet sand the car, to get rid of the orange peal affect.
the most clear u wanna put on a car is 3 (2 medium, 1 heavy) if u run then just sand it out with 2000 grit....and i was saying to prime the car if your doing a complete paint job, i didnt add that in sorry lmao...but don't do 5 coats, you'll have a niagra falls on your car.

·
RHD Pimpin
10,152 Posts
the most clear u wanna put on a car is 3 (2 medium, 1 heavy) if u run then just sand it out with 2000 grit....and i was saying to prime the car if your doing a complete paint job, i didnt add that in sorry lmao...but don't do 5 coats, you'll have a niagra falls on your car.
I didn't say you had to put 5, just said up to 5 cause some people get carried away with wet sanding sometimes. Whenever I painted my car, I had another guy helping me wet sand, and he burnt right through the clear on one of my fenders. Kind of pissed me off, but at least it was an easy fix. I usually put a light coat first to have it tacky, then medium/heavy coat, then a medium coat, then whatever is left in the gun or mixed up, I'll usually spray another medium.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I didn't say you had to put 5, just said up to 5 cause some people get carried away with wet sanding sometimes. Whenever I painted my car, I had another guy helping me wet sand, and he burnt right through the clear on one of my fenders. Kind of pissed me off, but at least it was an easy fix. I usually put a light coat first to have it tacky, then medium/heavy coat, then a medium coat, then whatever is left in the gun or mixed up, I'll usually spray another medium.
o ok, sosme people like to clear their entire car then sand the whole thing down with 2000, then re-clear it, i know some of my friends have doen that like 2 or 3 times...it gives the clear more depth and it looks pretty sick, not saying u have to do it, just giving u an idea..if u have the money for clear, why not try it?

·
RHD Pimpin
10,152 Posts
o ok, sosme people like to clear their entire car then sand the whole thing down with 2000, then re-clear it, i know some of my friends have doen that like 2 or 3 times...it gives the clear more depth and it looks pretty sick, not saying u have to do it, just giving u an idea..if u have the money for clear, why not try it?
I've heard of people doing that. I've never actually tried it myself simply cause I would think you'd still have the orange peal affect. Yea, clear definitely isn't cheap. I think I paid around $35-$40 for a quart of clear and pint of hardner

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've heard of people doing that. I've never actually tried it myself simply cause I would think you'd still have the orange peal affect. Yea, clear definitely isn't cheap. I think I paid around $35-$40 for a quart of clear and pint of hardner
yea it makes the car look pretty bad ass...i'm thinking about painting my lude anthrecite, its a 93-94 supra color...looks pretty sick, check it out, tell me what you think

·
RHD Pimpin
10,152 Posts
yea it makes the car look pretty bad ass...i'm thinking about painting my lude anthrecite, its a 93-94 supra color...looks pretty sick, check it out, tell me what you think
I couldn't find that color code. I checked paintscratch.com and it's not coming up

1 - 12 of 12 Posts