Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1994 Prelude VTEC
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ‘94 is having a strange problem. When my headlights are off my car runs fine with no problems, but when the headlights are on, the car temperature fluctuates. The radiator fans kick on and the temp gauge goes one notch above the middle. Then when the fans turn off it goes back to the middle. Any ideas?

·
Registered
JDM 4th Gen Prelude 2.2 Vtec Turbo
220 Posts
So it may or may not be overheating, but probably not. Sounds more like an electrical gremlin issue really.

I would start by checking the earths in the engine bay (mainly the one on the thermostat housing), then if they all check out, find out what's going on with the wiring at each of the systems you mention above, there are clear and easy procedures to test all these detailed in the Honda service manual.

·
Registered
1994 Prelude VTEC
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So it may or may not be overheating, but probably not. Sounds more like an electrical gremlin issue really.

I would start by checking the earths in the engine bay (mainly the one on the thermostat housing), then if they all check out, find out what's going on with the wiring at each of the systems you mention above, there are clear and easy procedures to test all these detailed in the Honda service manual.
Im not gonna lie, I do think it is overheating because the temp gauge only goes up a notch when the car is idle and has the brights on. When I am driving at a decent speed with brights on the temp gauge doesn’t move at all.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts