Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys so i purchased some moog outer tie rods and replaced them, i'm running into this issue with them though. At first, they had this plastic sleeve that came down over the threaded part that wouldn't allow the tie rod to set far enough into the knuckle to actually bolt it down. after a bit a muscling i managed to get them into them but i feel that maybe they weren't the right tie rods or something? They looked exactly the same as the stock ones i pulled. At any rate, the passenger side tie rod is rubbing against the wheel at full lock and i'm not sure what's up.. I have an alignment appointment tomorrow, should i even bother going? Oh, the tie rods i received were "boxed wrong" so my other question is are the passenger and drivers side the same? I eyeballed them and they appeared to be the same but idk.. thanks guys.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
Most of us can't see that picture. Due to the forum settings, only admins and donating members can. Would you be able to upload it to a photo hosting site and hotlink it?

·
Registered
675 Posts
Okay guys so i purchased some moog outer tie rods and replaced them, i'm running into this issue with them though. At first, they had this plastic sleeve that came down over the threaded part that wouldn't allow the tie rod to set far enough into the knuckle to actually bolt it down. after a bit a muscling i managed to get them into them but i feel that maybe they weren't the right tie rods or something? They looked exactly the same as the stock ones i pulled. At any rate, the passenger side tie rod is rubbing against the wheel at full lock and i'm not sure what's up.. I have an alignment appointment tomorrow, should i even bother going? Oh, the tie rods i received were "boxed wrong" so my other question is are the passenger and drivers side the same? I eyeballed them and they appeared to be the same but idk.. thanks guys.
Are you shitting me you left a thread protector on? Should be bent opposite. Take your car to someone who has a clue.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I figured it out, thanks for the eye opener btw. This is why I shouldn't do these things drunk. I have two of the same side tie rods. One was "boxed wrong" but i just swapped them and it's sitting at the same angle. I was sold two drivers tie rods LOL! I was so eager to get these in and done I didn't even bother to check at the store. Feckin noob move.

·
Opinionated Bastard
7,272 Posts
Do yourself a favor- don't be a cock and work on your car cocked. The rest of us like sharing the road with people who have cars that are properly put together, and aren't going to fall apart on the road and kill us.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, i got the correct parts and reinstalled everything. I am definitely going to get it aligned. Should i bother heading to the dealership or just any reputable alignment shop in my area.

·
Opinionated Bastard
7,272 Posts
Yes, i got the correct parts and reinstalled everything. I am definitely going to get it aligned. Should i bother heading to the dealership or just any reputable alignment shop in my area.
I would normally say 'dealer', but the idiots who just did the alignment on my Accord while it was in for a recall did a half-ass job and left my steering wheel cock-eyed... so... I'd say look around for a reputable shop. I'd avoid places like Valvoline or Monroe Muffler, look for a shop that specializes in chassis stuff or a performance shop.

I paid $120 to get my Prelude aligned at a specialty performance shop, but they dialed in the alignment exactly as I requested it (camber & toe) and got it bang on perfect the first time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts